Blower motor or resister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blower motor or resister?

My 88 2.8 cruiser fan has died. Searched back on the forum but did not find the exact info on what to look for. Seems like I remember it stopping or not working on certain speeds. Just looking for some advice and maybe a lookout for a good replacement. I see rockauto only has four seasons now no ac delco units. Thanks David

I think the lower speeds run through the resistor and high speed runs through a relay direct to the fan. So if the resistor was bad you would still have high speed.

But in any case, I would run direct power from the battery to the fan and see if it runs. That will tell you if it?s the fan or not. Sometimes if you smack the fan with a piece of wood or an ice scraper handle it works again temporarily. I?ve replaced many fans on the 2.8/3.1 and you have to remove the alternator and the alternator bracket to get it out. Not a huge deal.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Comment

Also unhook the connectors I have found crispy wires from it overheating too and old age or moisture / corrosion build up .

Comment

I will order a motor to be ready to complete the job. Should i change the resister as well and where is it located. Reading the old threads some said you can get by without removing the bracket. Ill check it out and see. Thanks

Comment

My car is put away for winter but I?m pretty sure the resistor is right next to the motor. I?ve never had one go bad, but I?ve pulled them out to look at them. They?re pretty robust, just coils of good size wire.

I tried every which way and could never get the motor out without removing the bracket. You might be able to disconnect the dogbone and rock the engine forward, but if I?m gonna do that I might as well just remove 3 bolts and the bracket instead.

Comment

Thanks, since its still 65-75 in Georgia I have put the task off. I still need to install a temperature switch on my radiator fan especially since its cooler weather. I am going to put one of the aluminium adapters in my bottom radiator hose and ground the fan through the switch to close the circuit when the switch reaches temperature. The fan has been running constant for about 8k of driving and I don't want to needlessly kill it in winter. Need to accomplish both these task soon before it turns cold.

Comment

Having been under the hood today, I can see where you might be able to remove the dogbone and rock the engine forward with a ratchet strap enough to get the blower out without even removing the alternator.

The resistor is on top of the blower housing, not far from the blower.

Comment

Nope I tried it today because I had to remove the blower to clean the mouse nest out of the blower housing. Disconnected the dogbone and pulled the engine as far forward as it would go with a ratchet strap. Wouldn?t clear the alternator or even the alternator bracket after the alternator was out.

I wonder if anyone who was able to get it out had an aftermarket blower motor that perhaps was shorter. Or maybe a shorter wheel.

Comment

Working...
                X