Another A for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another A for me!

The collection continues. I picked up Oklahoma's 86 6K STE yesterday and brought her back to NC. Initial look over, this car is REALLY clean and original. I don't have pics of her yet but there are some Oklahoma took on here.

Anyway, the current plan is to rebuild the LB6 2.8L, and i'm looking into a good performance build while retaining the outward appearance of a stock motor. So far i think a 3.1L bottom end, port the HO (iron) heads and the intake manifold, get a good cam, upgrade the ignition (stick with distributor), and see what she'll do. I'm hoping for 170hp @ crank, but i'll take what i can get. I'm gonna upgrade the trans to a 440T4 from the 125c (its got 360K miles for crying out loud!). Bigger Pontiac wheels (16" most likely), and perhaps the same spring treatment my Eurosport has (Eibach's for 93-up Century, Century rear axle with STE discs swapped on). Still back and forth on the springs, wondering if i can get the ERC to work with lowering springs. Basically i want the car to appear like a stock STE, but improved upon in the mechanicals.
    1986 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport -- RS Transformation in process
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera XC Special Edition -- saved from the scrap heap
    1989 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD - turbo someday
    1993 Buick Century - supercharged GS (not a real one) project
    1994 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 2wd
    1997 Saturn SW1 -- The daily driver
    1978 Pontiac Sunbird coupe -- Iron Duke powered!
    1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Glad to see you made it home without any problems!
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera, 3100 (LG8), 4T60E w/ 130,000 miles

Comment

Sounds like a good plan!

The iron-head 2.8 can be made to perform pretty good! I used my original 2.8 parts with a 3.1 crank and pistons, in the original block. Nothing else had to be changed.

David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Hey, do you think the StE discs will swap onto a 92 ciera

Comment

Or you could use a 3.4 shortblock from a '93-'95 F-body You would just need to drill the holes for the starter.
          -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
          '86 Eurosport sedan
          '88 Eurosport VR coupe
          '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 86euro View Post
            Or you could use a 3.4 shortblock from a '93-'95 F-body You would just need to drill the holes for the starter.
            I remember seeing a guy fabricated a drilling template that would allow you to properly drill for a starter on the LH side of the block. It was made of a piece of flat bar with holes, and one end that would butt up against the ring gear. On the side was a tab to hold the left/ right alignment.

I bet you could use a starting motor nosecone casting as a template, though. Would need to have the engine on a stand, upside-down probably.

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Rando View Post
              Hey, do you think the StE discs will swap onto a 92 ciera
              The A-body rear axle beam was the same for the entire model run. All you would have to do is find an STE and get everything from the backing plate out, and get the emergency brake cable past the connector at the middle of the axle. The whole swap takes an afternoon, but you will lose your ABS, and your car HAS to be JA2, otherwise you will need to change over to that as well.

Now that that's out of the way...

Turbokinetic, i'm glad to hear that! I'm not planning on a turbo right now, gonna see what i can get with NA (plus it will still look stock under the hood). I don't expect monster numbers with it, but an improvement. I appreciate the other suggestions, but i'd like to keep it stock looking, which means keeping the iron heads and intake manifold, so i'm stuck with either the 2.8L or 3.1L block.

First things first, i'm gonna try to get her running as is, blown ring and all, and see what i've got!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                ..... Turbokinetic, i'm glad to hear that! I'm not planning on a turbo right now, gonna see what i can get with NA (plus it will still look stock under the hood). I don't expect monster numbers with it, but an improvement. I appreciate the other suggestions, but i'd like to keep it stock looking, which means keeping the iron heads and intake manifold, so i'm stuck with either the 2.8L or 3.1L block.
                Have you read on 60degreev6.com any? I beleive there is a 3.4 block that will work with your existing iron heads. Don't forget that option if you end up having to fully dismantle the engine.

You might be surprised with the iron head engine - i's not nearly as slow as some folks would lead you to beleive. I was thinking back to when I had the N/A carb 2.8. It was not exactly weak, to be honest! I had just "ported" the heads and tuned on the carb and distributor advance curve.

First things first, i'm gonna try to get her running as is, blown ring and all, and see what i've got!
                Sounds like a good idea! What is the story on the blown rings?

Thanks,
                David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Yes, the '93-'95 Cam/F-bird 3.4 is a gen1 motor and uses cast iron heads- the very same heads that came stock on your 2.8. The only thing that makes this 3.4 look much different is the intake, but the 2.8 stuff will get used anyway. It will look 100% stock. This was the route I was going to take originally (seems pretty cheap and easy), but decided I wanted a little more zip.
                  -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
                  '86 Eurosport sedan
                  '88 Eurosport VR coupe
                  '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

When I bought the car a couple months ago, the original owner told me the car had a bad valve on the #2 cylinder which caused it to idle rough and have a hard time passing emissions. After I did the valve grind, cylinder #2 had 30 psi dry and 120 psi with some oil poured into it, so I figured it had a bad ring. The original owner said he had been driving the car 4 or 5 years with it like this and hadn't noticed a drop in performace, which I know isn't possible, but I guess it was pretty slight. Considering the guy put 360,000 on the car there's no telling how much he drove the car for those 4 or 5 years!

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma View Post
                      When I bought the car a couple months ago, the original owner told me the car had a bad valve on the #2 cylinder which caused it to idle rough and have a hard time passing emissions. After I did the valve grind, cylinder #2 had 30 psi dry and 120 psi with some oil poured into it, so I figured it had a bad ring. The original owner said he had been driving the car 4 or 5 years with it like this and hadn't noticed a drop in performace, which I know isn't possible, but I guess it was pretty slight. Considering the guy put 360,000 on the car there's no telling how much he drove the car for those 4 or 5 years!
                      Exactly what he said.

I'm working on getting the car running again (dead battery, and some other things). If i can get it running, then we'll see where it's at.

I have joined up over at 60degreev6.com, but have had trouble finding info on Gen 1 stuff. Its all turbo and 3500's over there. But the guys have been helpful answering my posts so far. So the RWD 3.4 from 93-95 (F-body) is a Gen 1 motor? Neat, i had no idea! That's more displacement! What kinda power can you get out of that motor, anybody know?

I'm gonna go digging around and see what i can find out about that motor, thanks for that interesting piece of info!

Comment

I found out about the swap when I met a guy that did it to his Fiero. He ran it at the track before and after... said it shaved nearly a full second off his 1/4 mile time, and that was with a stock tune (lean at full throttle). When I asked about the potential of the swap on 60* (quite a while ago), 180 HP seemed reasonable with a rebuild, ported heads, somewhat mild cam and a tune.
                        Looking back, I kind of wish I had went that route... my car would probably be faster by now, lol.
                        -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
                        '86 Eurosport sedan
                        '88 Eurosport VR coupe
                        '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

I like the sound of this engine. After some digging, it looks like i can grab a complete running 3.4 from a camaro locally for between 500 - 600. That's just an initial number, i may be able to find a shortblock from a yard for less, put a good rebuild in it (i've read somewhere to overbore 0.020, i think. i'll find that link), port the iron heads/intake manifold i've got and see where that puts her. 180 would be fantastic for what i'm doing! I'll keep digging.

Comment

The pull-a-part over here sells short blocks for $60 (you can get the heads too for $90) and they have 3.4's all the time, so I'm sure you could find a good price on one.

Comment

Oklahoma, i told you when i was picking the car up from you, and i'll say it again now, you get some good deals down your way! Up here its all good ol' boys making sure they get as much $$ as possible!

Comment

Working...
                              X