No announcement yet.

Another A for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I generally only have to put about 1 can in these systems so I would start looking for a leak... sorry. Buy some refrigerant with U/V dye, charge the system with it, then put the car somewhere dark and use a blacklight to look all over the AC lines and components for glowing U/V dye. You would have at least some pressure if there was no leak.
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera, 3100 (LG8), 4T60E w/ 130,000 miles

Comment

dry, no the system will take more than(assuming) 12 oz. there like 2.23 lbs or somthing. 16oz to a lb. so from a dry point it may take a few cans. You probably just had the system a can low
      "Pontiac, Of Course"
      1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
      1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
      1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
      1991 Audi 200 Auto
      1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

I'll get some dyed R134a and a black light and throw it in the system. Hopefully its just low and it will work with a few more cans in it (only put 2 12oz cans in it last week, no more since).
        1986 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport -- RS Transformation in process
        1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera XC Special Edition -- saved from the scrap heap
        1989 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD - turbo someday
        1993 Buick Century - supercharged GS (not a real one) project
        1994 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 2wd
        1997 Saturn SW1 -- The daily driver
        1978 Pontiac Sunbird coupe -- Iron Duke powered!
        1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Comment

Just throwing this out there.... was the accumulater replaced? When switching from R12 to R134a you have to replace it. The ester oil and pag oil are not compatible and you'll never get all the ester oil out of the desecant (sp?) bag by vacumming the system.

Comment

Accumulator=receiver/drier. I hate how there are so many friggin names for that thing. Yes, I did replace the r12 unit with one containing dessicant compatible with r134a when I replaced the compressor and everything else.
            1996 Oldsmobile Ciera, 3100 (LG8), 4T60E w/ 130,000 miles

Comment

Well its been a month since i've updated here, and it hasn't been a good one. The economy has finally caught up with me, and i am having to trim all the fat out of my budget so i can just get by! So, I'm having to put the 6000 up for sale. It will be up in the For Sale section momentarily. Thanks for all the help on this one guys, wish i could have completed it

Comment

To Mad Hatter:

Hello, I am Kristopher, and own two 85 STE. I was thinking, why don't you consider the 3.4 litre Twin Dual Cam/Dual Twin Cam motor. Stock, they put out 215 hp. I do not know how reliable it is, but if they have proved reliable in the past, consider dropping one of those in.

Most Sincerely,
                Kristopher

Comment

Originally posted by Kristopher Gerbracht View Post
                  To Mad Hatter:

Hello, I am Kristopher, and own two 85 STE. I was thinking, why don't you consider the 3.4 litre Twin Dual Cam/Dual Twin Cam motor. Stock, they put out 215 hp. I do not know how reliable it is, but if they have proved reliable in the past, consider dropping one of those in.

Most Sincerely,
                  Kristopher
                  Kristopher, IIRC the 3.4L DOHC is too wide to fit in our A-bodies without modifications. I may be wrong, but I believe that to be true.

But even if it did fit, the STE is for sale (Check for sale section), as I can't afford to work on it right now.

Comment

The 3.4 Twin cam are freakin tight in W-bodies... don't even tink about putting one in an A!
                    Originally posted by mechanizeddeath
                    I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
                    " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Comment

Originally posted by Buick_powa View Post
                      The 3.4 Twin cam are freakin tight in W-bodies... don't even tink about putting one in an A!
                      Agreed! And even if there was plenty of room, you still can't change the o-ring on the oil drive plug. The cylinder head hangs over too far.
                      -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
                      '86 Eurosport sedan
                      '88 Eurosport VR coupe
                      '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X