Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stole Grandma's '92 Ciera S

Hi all,

Picked up my grandma's Cutlass Ciera S this weekend.

It has 81,000 miles on the clock, and everything's in great shape. It just needs some new fluids and other normal stuff, and will be ready for daily driver duty.

On the 500-mile trip back home, I became familiar with a few of the known annoyances with this car.
    • Automatic door locks. I can't believe that it didn't occur to GM to make them automatically unlock as well. I'll be snipping the blue wire ASAP.
    • Seat belts in the door. Oh well.
    • Hard shifts between R and D. Every Olds I've driven has done this. Is there any fix?

More pics (and questions) to follow...
    '92 Cutlass Ciera S, 3300 V-6, 3T40 automatic

Hi, that's a really clean looking ciera you got, lucky you. My 94 actually does unlock when you turn the ignition off... although I can't remember now if it's my alarm that does it or the car itself :\ I'm fairly certain it's the car though. I'm not sure about the hard shifts, honestly I haven't noticed but I could just be used to it.

Comment

Woudl that have the 4 speed overdrive transmission? The vacuum modulator controls the firmness of the shifts, and cause a real harsh shift from R to D or D to R. Fairly cheap and easy to replace. Also a fluid and filter change helped my 6000s harsh shifts with its 3 speed imensly.
      "Pontiac, Of Course"
      1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
      1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
      1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
      1991 Audi 200 Auto
      1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Prospeeder View Post
        Woudl that have the 4 speed overdrive transmission?
        Nope, 3-speed (3T40, I think). I'll be flushing the trans soon, so maybe that will help. And to clarify, it's just the R to D and D to R that's harsh. 1-2 and 2-3 is just fine. As far as I can remember it's always done this, so I'm not too worried about it, but it is annoying.

Related to the 3-speed, is there a tach cluster that will work in this car? All the tach clusters I've seen have a gear indicator for the overdrive transmission.

Comment

jdoff,

Beautiful car! That's in beautiful condition- very close to the condition mine was in when I first got it.

My 1993 Century unlocks automatically when I turn the ignition off. It has been very good to me. The only time it drives me crazy is when I'm at the gas station and want to leave the key inside the ignition, so I make the habit of rolling down the window at the gas pump. "just in case".

But, I am seriously considering on fabricating a very clever hiding place for a spare key...

Comment

Originally posted by jdoff View Post
            Hi all,

Picked up my grandma's Cutlass Ciera S this weekend.

It has 81,000 miles on the clock, and everything's in great shape. It just needs some new fluids and other normal stuff, and will be ready for daily driver duty.

On the 500-mile trip back home, I became familiar with a few of the known annoyances with this car.
            • Automatic door locks. I can't believe that it didn't occur to GM to make them automatically unlock as well. I'll be snipping the blue wire ASAP.
            • Seat belts in the door. Oh well.
            • Hard shifts between R and D. Every Olds I've driven has done this. Is there any fix?

More pics (and questions) to follow...
            Great car...looks great!! Treat it well

Comment

WOW looks good!! Its the same color as mine!! LOL
              What engine you have in there?? 3.1 ou 3300 ???
              CHEVROLET CAVALIER Z22 2003 TUNED
              SHOPPING FOR A NEW A-BODY
              http://metroid666.monchar.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Metro666 View Post
                What engine you have in there?? 3.1 ou 3300 ???
                3300. Changed the spark plugs last night (Delco 41-601). The rear three are a serious pain in the ass, but the new plugs seem to have smoothed out an occasional stumble I was getting under acceleration. So far so good.

Comment

^I just changed the plugs for the first time as well. They are a pain but I noticed a difference right away. Nice car.

Comment

You should change the wires too and the oxygen sensor...i've changed all of that on mine and WOW!! It pulls really hard!! Good luck with your ride man!
                    CHEVROLET CAVALIER Z22 2003 TUNED
                    SHOPPING FOR A NEW A-BODY
                    http://metroid666.monchar.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X