Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car ?????

Hey guys!!
    I went to GM Saturday with one of my friends to check out what they have in stock.
    I came across a 2003 Chevrolet cavalier Z22 standard 5 speed qith the 2.2 Ecotec engine.
    Only has 100K km's,2 door red coupe,and it looks REALLY clean.
    asking price?? 3900$ with one year warranty from GM.
    I'll go test drive it on Monday morning and if i pass credit i might buy it....but its going to be the end of my Ciera cause i'll put it up for sale.
    If i dont pass credit i will keep my Ciera for sure!!!
    Cause im getting sick and tired putting repairs on my Ciera and i have the feeling that i want something recent and decent for the price.
    Not that i dont love my Ciera no more....its just it getting frustrated to put repairs when you have a small salary. I could certainly afford the Cavalier no sweat about ité
    Anyway i'll give you guys some news Monday night after work!!
    Cheers
    CHEVROLET CAVALIER Z22 2003 TUNED
    SHOPPING FOR A NEW A-BODY
    http://metroid666.monchar.com/

So, how much is insurance going to cost with the cavalier as opposed to ciera? That's one thing you need to think about...

So basically you're paying the increase in insurance, +$3900 for one year of repairs right? :\
    2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indy

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0V8

Comment

And no guarantee that it wont break. Watch that one year warranty isnt gonna cover an alternator or starter or flat tires. Its bogus crap to make people pay more for nothing. Good luck with that deal.
      1989 Formula 350, 2002 Bonneville SE
      DON
      "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Comment

If you're worried about making repairs, buying a newer car isn't really the answer. That $3900 (which sounds like a bit much for a Cavalier, tbh) could be put into the Ciera to make it run right. If you buy the Cav, and it shits the transmission tomorrow, you'll have effectively wasted that money. I've always been an advocate of repair over replace when it comes to cars. Doubly so when buying from a dealership. They can easily hide a chronic problem from you on the test drive so they can get the car off their lot.

Having said that though, the '03-'05 Cavaliers were probably the best, since it no longer has the 2200 truck engine (noisy, thirsty, harsh) and a decent interior. The 2.2 Ecotec is an awesome engine. GM even sells a supercharger kit for it, which would be an absolute hoot.
        Daniel
        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
        Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
        Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

Well i'll see whats going to happen tomorrow morning.
          I miss driving stick shift too!! And the Ecotec might be faster and more fuel effecient than my Ciera.My friend has a 2005 Cavalier automatic and i love the feel of the Ecotec engine.
          Maybe i'll love it more with the stick shift LOL

Comment

You gotta save ALOT of gas to make up the car payments. Do what you would like but not many here will recommend you buy another car instead of driving a paid for one.
            DON
            "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Comment

Originally posted by dcjredline View Post
              You gotta save ALOT of gas to make up the car payments. Do what you would like but not many here will recommend you buy another car instead of driving a paid for one.
              Yes i know and im aware of this.
              I've called my insurance today....and it would cost me 55$ a month in insurance.
              I'm 28 years old...NEVER has an accident nor a ticket in my life!!
              Me and my friend calculated how much it would cost me a month for the car.
              It would go around 350$

Probably it would cost me less in fuel than my Ciera thats for sure.
              And im not heavy footed for starters....accept the race with the Swift.

I'll update tomorrow night after work!!

Comment

So $405 a month to drive that car. If you put $405 a month into a savings account you could completely rebuild your whole car in less than a year.
                DON

Comment

Originally posted by dcjredline View Post
                  So $405 a month to drive that car. If you put $405 a month into a savings account you could completely rebuild your whole car in less than a year.
                  No 350$ a month including fuel and everything!!
                  I've just test drive it.... and it runs GREAT!! Pulls really hard and really loved the getrag tranny!!
                  I have a 'rendez-vous' at the bank to see if i get credit or not!!

Comment

OK well in 1 year $355 would be $4260 and I would think you could buy at least 4 other A's or something else like a Taurus and not have a car payment and loan to a bank. The Borrower is SLAVE to the lender. Just think about that. Good luck either way you choose. You have to do what you want to do and what you feel is right for you.
                    DON

Comment

Metro666 I think the cavalier would be my first choice in a used car if I needed something in a coupe design. Check if the '03 has the driver's side-impact air bag (an option by then I think).

Otherwise, there have been MANY low-mile a-body cars showing up at eBay, autotrader.com and craigslist.com. If your ciera is worn out why not get another a-body - probably half the price of the 100K Cavalier you're considering.

George

Comment

Moot point guys, he's gonna get it.
                        Daniel
                        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
                        Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
                        Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

Originally posted by white89euro View Post
                          Metro666 I think the cavalier would be my first choice in a used car if I needed something in a coupe design. Check if the '03 has the driver's side-impact air bag (an option by then I think).

Otherwise, there have been MANY low-mile a-body cars showing up at eBay, autotrader.com and craigslist.com. If your ciera is worn out why not get another a-body - probably half the price of the 100K Cavalier you're considering.

George
                          I really love my Cutlass....its not in bad shape...it just needs 1000$ in repairs right away.I'm thinking seriously of keeping it as a long terme project and only use it on week-ends or something like that.But i only have one parking space at home so i dont know what im going to do!! Anyway a fellow co-worker would be really interested by it!! So i'll think about it honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke George V View Post
                            Moot point guys, he's gonna get it.
                            Exactly
                            My sister had the coupe version and it held up remarkably well when essentially it was T-boned by a F-150...I'd buy one after seeing that.

Comment

Allright!!!
                              I've passed the credit check and it all okay!!
                              I'm getting my Z22 later this morning!! I'm so happy!!!
                              It's going to cost me 206$ a month for 3 years everything included!! Wich is really good!!! I'm so nervous i cant sleep yet!! haha
                              And my Cutlass well i still dont know what i'm doing with it.
                              It's up for sale on numerous message boards i'll just wait until i get a good offer for it!
                              I'm selling it as is for 500$ i think its a really good price considering the money i've put in this car!!
                              But i'm giving myself one month to sell my Cutlass.
                              If i dont sell it...i'll keep it as a long term project of rebuilding it slowly!!
                              Probably gonna be my Week-end rider during summer.
                              I'll keep in touch people!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X