Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 87 Century Sedan - finally home - pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 87 Century Sedan - finally home - pictures!

Well - she made it home from the farm, and got a good shampooing with foaming brush wax-soap; Purple Power on the engine and tires, and lots of hot water. All the BarnFunk is gone, and she's looking good!

The 22 years barely show!

Hope to clean and detail the interior soon.

This was my first trip in the car (remember I bought it with nonfunctional engine) and I've noticed a few problems but nothing really serious.

The signals don't work, due to a bad flasher module and blown bulbs in the front bumper lights. What a PITA they are to get to.

The drivers window does not open all the way. Goes down 4" then gears grind.

The rear passengers window does not work at all.

Interior drivers door handle sticks out at a funny angle.

Trunk release not installed, parts in trunk.

Header panel stress cracked due to prior repairs and an improperly shimmed bumper. Will have to be restored and repainted.

Radio works but display is messed up (can't read clock or station).

A/C works wonderful. I just converted it to R134A and installed a variable oriface valve...

Next trip home I'll be installing the ECM datalogger and seeing what kind of turbo boost pressure I can get, and developing a turbo tune for the MAF LG3 setup.

Later,
    David

Look me up on Facebook

pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy K View Post
      pimp!
      Lol! Thanks!

Hey our farm is about like your signature picture - cars can get LOST in the mud ruts now after all these rains!

David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

How did the stock transmission hold up? And DAMN that's some cold AC.
        Daniel
        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
        Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
        Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke George V View Post
          How did the stock transmission hold up? And DAMN that's some cold AC.
          Thanks!

Stock transmission held up fine - at 5 PSI boost. Plan to run at least 10 PSI so will see how it does.

A/C is very cold! I had the fan on low speed at full-cold MAX A/C to get that temperature reading.

Here is video of first test drive with turbo. Untuned and being very careful - but for the first time ever; after 22 years of natural aspiration - the 3.8 has seen BOOST!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmmNuBPsptg

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

If it dies are you gonna put in a 4T65 like the Olympia?
            Daniel
            Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
            Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
            Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke George V View Post
              If it dies are you gonna put in a 4T65 like the Olympia?
              Daniel; probably going to just build a "fully built" 440T4, like my 86 T-Type has. It has a three point two liter* engine at 15 PSI boost. The three point eight at 10 PSI should perform similarly.

It's not too hard to build a 440T4 to handle three hundred HP. Basically a good shift kit, Cadillac modulator boost bushing, double-plate 4th clutch, and some torque converter clutch valving modifications.

What I may do is build up the 440T4 that was in my Olympia, then swap it out. The tranny in the 87 sedan has been recently rebuilt and pulls strong. It may be OK as-is.

I want to do as little heavy modification as possible to this car. I want to use it to learn about tuning a MAF fuel system, then sell the car. I don't want it to be so heavily modified that no one wants it, or can troubleshoot it when something happens.

If it has to get a 4T65E, then it will get one but I think at the HP goal of 240, the 440T4 will be able to handle it. My T-Type's current transmission has been holding up for several years.

I'm saving one 4T65EHD for my Fern Green Turbodiesel Coupe project!

Later,
              David

* My "three" key is nonfunctional due to an unfortunate incident with some 'unexpectedly carbonated' bottled sweet tea opened over the computer. "w" "2" and "F4" are not working too good either. Sugar is a bitch in electronics.

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Working...
              X