Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduce yourself thread! (56k warning!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Thanks! I love sleepers too. I have really disappointed some Japanese and VW drivers with that car!

By the way, I was just in your area last week! Flew into BWI and picked up an 86 Buick GS near Thurmont, MD. What a fun trip home! Left with one motor and transmission and made it home with TWO motors and transmissions! Here is the thread with pictures.

David
    Nice! you went to Crazy Rays I see. The wheels, grille, right headlight, cupholder, and rear ps window on my car are all bought from Crazy Rays locations.

There was a sweet set of pontiac basket weaves there when I was looking for wheels, unfortunately someone used the right front wheel as a jackstand while removing the caliper

Comment

Hi guys my name is Josh. I have been part of the forum for a couple years under user name c0ugar1969 with a whopping 12 posts. I haven't driven my cougar in 4 years and thought would pick a more relevant user name. I am 25 and have been married for 2 years and have 8 month old daughter. I went to school to be a auto tech but ended up in a powder coat shop where i make better money than fixing cars

I bought my 96 century in December 2003 with 100k on it. I was really looking for something with a 3800 but apparently so was everyone else because they were bringing much more money. I fell in love with my century and really don't know why. It has been really good to me. It has allot wrong with it now. It could use brakes all the around. The intake gaskets leak a little (about a gallon a year). The check engine light is on and the abs quit working. I keep waiting for it to die but it just keeps going.

I bought new (older) century to replace it with. I found it on Craig's list, and thought it was exactly what I was looking for. Emerald green 93 century with 3300 and gray interior. And only 48,000 miles. The guy said it had a little surface rust on the doors and rears. I drove 3 hours in construction to a Chicago suburb. It has rust on every panel and doesn't have over dive like he said. But $1,400 i bought it anyway. I'm still driving 96 while i work on the 93. I still trying to come up with a way to tell my wife that I want to repaint the car . After the body work, I'm working on putting in some buckets, some work to the sound system and a tune up I should have a car that will last me forever.
      http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthr...tury-P-47-quot
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3995714

Comment

Originally posted by vw_freak View Post
        Nice! you went to Crazy Rays I see. The wheels, grille, right headlight, cupholder, and rear ps window on my car are all bought from Crazy Rays locations.

There was a sweet set of pontiac basket weaves there when I was looking for wheels, unfortunately someone used the right front wheel as a jackstand while removing the caliper
        Lol yes, and remember Crazy Ray's is not a "junkyard" nor even a "salvage yard." It is a Parts Garden.

David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JoshB View Post
          Hi guys my name is Josh.....
          Welcome! Glad to see you here with 2 A-cars!

Fortunately being from the south I don't really have to worry about rust (except when my Northern friends visit ) but realize that is the life-limiting factor for cars up there.

The 3300 is a good engine with very few known-issues like the intake gasket issues that plague most of the newer V6 engines. It is reasonably potent for its size, too. When the time comes, that 3 speed transmission can be swapped for a 440T4 of course!

David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
            When the time comes, that 3 speed transmission can be swapped for a 440T4 of course!

David
            Hopefully when the time comes. The swap will be L67 and 4t65
            http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthr...tury-P-47-quot
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3995714

Comment

My name is Kristopher and I own two 85 6000 STE's. The first one I purchased in 11/88 and the second one I purchased in 11/07. My first car went 176,000 miles before I had another engine put in. That did not last, so I had the engine remanufactured and it runs fine today. My second STE, I purchased in Tacoma for $650.00 and it has 143,000 miles on it. After purchasing the second STE, I had all of the fluids flushed and refilled and had the fuel injection cleaned using the Motor Vac system. Since the paint was shot, I took the car and had it repainted the same color. Well, I am an elementary school teacher, which it what I love doing. Currently single, with two older sisters.

Comment

here here !!! an l67 would be great in there!!! i cant wait for mine !

Great cars also,, im really into that gold one with the red pinstriping, looks very nice!
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3369697

Comment

Originally posted by Kristopher Gerbracht View Post
                  My name is Kristopher and I own two 85 6000 STE's. The first one I purchased in 11/88 and the second one I purchased in 11/07. My first car went 176,000 miles before I had another engine put in. That did not last, so I had the engine remanufactured and it runs fine today. My second STE, I purchased in Tacoma for $650.00 and it has 143,000 miles on it. After purchasing the second STE, I had all of the fluids flushed and refilled and had the fuel injection cleaned using the Motor Vac system. Since the paint was shot, I took the car and had it repainted the same color. Well, I am an elementary school teacher, which it what I love doing. Currently single, with two older sisters.
                  Welcome! Sorry to hear you've had so many engine troubles with your first 6000 but sometimes crap happens as they say..

More power to you being an elementary teacher! It amazes me the advanced things they are teaching my 1st and 5th grade neices now. Stuff I didn't learn until highschool!

Later,
                  David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Hi, my name is Murray, joined a few months ago. I live in Cambridge Ontario, Canada, about an hour west of Toronto. I'm 32, a long haul truck driver and I'm still chasing the GM dragon. One day i hope to find a mint Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. I love the soft boaty ride of GM cars. My first ciera was a 92, 3.3L, not sure i like the 3.3, it idled rough, the cousin 3.8 had a counter rotating balance shaft for smoothness, but the 3.3 vibration was never addressed. Now i have an 88 ciera 2.8 also with rough running issues....i hope one day i will find a smooth smoothie olds with the FE1 springs and nice running motor.

'87 Cutlass Ciera Brougham, 2.8MPFI, FE1 suspension

Comment

Hello all,

Joined yesterday, and decided to post an introduction. My name is Jim, and I live in the armpit of California (Fresno) I moved up here in Dec of 2003 from So Cal (Anaheim) and have owned a total of 35 cars in just as many years. I am 52, and used to be a computer tech support agent. However, due to "downsizing" I have been working part time at a fast food franchise these past two years. It pays the bills, but does not leave much else left over. Anyway, most of my cars were Mopars. Mostly A body Dusters, and Darts, with a couple of Chargers, and Town and Country station wagons (the big ones from the early 70's and mid 60's not the minivan ones from later years) I have owned 3 Fords, and even a Chevy or two. My very first car was a 1963 Chevy II that my dad bought for $100 in 1975 from a friend on his route (He was a letter carrier) To date, the best car I have ever owned was a 1990 Pontiac Firebird base model with the 3.1 liter V6. I was the second owner, and that car was beautiful. Black with a tan cloth interior, and T-tops. Power everything, and everything worked. In a moment of sheer insanity, I traded it in for a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, which turned out to be a BIG mistake. The Cherokee was good at what it was designed for, but it wasn't a Firebird. At the time I thought I would be moving to the deserts of Arizona, and the 4x4 Jeep would be better suited. Well, the moving plans didn't happen, and I was stuck with the Jeep.

After moving up here a few years back, I bought a 1987 Buick Skylark with the Quad 4. It was the low HP model (150hp) but it still impressed me with its ample power.The Skylark looked like crap on the outside (someone had given it a blue paint job using spray cans) but the interior was clean, and it ran well. It had 114k on it when I bought it (for $500) and 117k when I blew the motor in it. (Note to self, when you see coolant in the engine oil do NOT keep driving the car) Anyway, the reason for joining this forum is the 1996 Buick Skylark I have now. I am buying it from a lady who is disabled, and refuses to drive it anymore. She wants to get rid of it, and is selling it to me for $300. Everything works on it, the stereo, air conditioner, 3 of the 4 power windows (pass side front doesn't go up or down) and there is a Viper alarm on it. Tires look new, and she has just recently had a tune up on it, and an oil change. It currently has 111k miles on it.

The lady had been using it for storage for the past 6 months, and the inside reeked of dirty clothes, and rotten food. Took me quite some time to clean it out. I didn't take any "before" pictures (wish I had) but here are some "after" pictures.

It is missing the right front turn signal cover, and that light also doesn't work. It also has a broken tail light cover. The front wheels were covered with disc brake dust. They look 10 times better now.

There is a small dent on the left rear corner of the car which you can barely see in the photo. The trunk lock and rear seat are broken due to the lady locking her keys in the car, and having someone go in thru the trunk. The driver's sun visor has the covering coming off, and the rear speakers don't get very loud. But for $300, I can live with all these short comings. I have not driven it much as it is not currently registered, but the little bit I did drive it gave me the impression of a pretty good little car. The trans shifts fine, and the engine starts right up, doesn't smoke, or leak oil. All it really needs is a front brake job, as the lady drove it for quite some time with them squealing, and has ruined both rotors.

It seems to be fully loaded, but I can't find the cruise controls. I think maybe someone replaced the turn signal stalk with a non C/C one.

And lastly here is a pic of me with my current rides. The Lincoln is a 1994 Everfrost Green with tan leather interior. I am getting that from the same friend who's girlfriend owns the Buick. Of course, that one will be a little more than $500 (3x more) even though it has no stereo and no working AC. The Buick will be my daily driver, and the Mark will be reserved for weekend jaunts. The cars are in my backyard because my friend was supposed to come over and remove a transmission from his Chevy Lumina, but he didn't show up. He lives in an apt complex where they don't allow working on cars. So I offered my carport for his use.

Well, I stand corrected. I just moved the cars back to my driveway, and took a closer look at the turn signal stalk, and lo and behold! There are controls for the cruise. I can't believe I missed them the first time around. Looking at the above photo of the interior, I see them right on the end.

As for future plans for the Century, I will most likely keep it stock with the exception of a cold air intake, and a larger cat back exhaust with a magnalow muffler. If I can find the first gen Eurosport wheels I will put those on, and add thicker sway bars, with urethane bushings. I have found a set of drilled and slotted rotors complete with ceramic brakes on ebay I want to get, and I will eventually upgrade the stereo system.However, my racing days are over, so no wild mods to the 3.1 Besides, if I really want to go fast, I will just jump in the Lincoln.
                      Jim

Comment

Hey everyone, my name is Matt. I don't have a car at all right now, but by this time next week I should have myself an A body. I'm not even entirely sure what one it is, but my friend is hooking me up with one for a few hundred dollars. Since I've been without a car for several weeks, I can't wait. All I know for sure is it's from the 90s and is a sedan body.

Growing up, my grandma had a mid 80s (86?) maroon 6000LE she bought brand new. She sold it to a local mechanic in the early 90s, and I still saw it on the road as late as 2005 when I moved. In my teen years, most of my adventures were accomplished with a blue '89 Eurosport wagon that belonged to the parents of my best friend. He just sold it for parts recently, maybe one of you bought it? I have an ancient VHS tape somewhere of us acting like idiots in a parking lot with that thing. (Nothing reckless or illegal, just dumb!)

Anyway, I would have preferred something sportier, but I can't complain much because I know regular maintenence has been done and the car is mechanically solid.
                        Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Comment

Hey welcome to the board, let us know what kind of a body you end up getting for sure. If you're looking for something sporty check outDavid's (Turbokinetic) & Skalor's mods lol...

Comment

Hello Matt, welcome to the forum. I am sure you will like it here. You can find out anything and everything there is to know about A bodies here.
                            Jim

Comment

Thanks! If all goes well I should be picking the car up tomorrow or perhaps the day after. It was supposed to happen today but my friend selling me the car is sick today. It needs new brakes so we've got to get that taken care of first. I'll be sure to post a writeup once I get it.
                              Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Comment

Welcome Nighteyez, finally nice to have another California member.

Comment

Working...
                                X