Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduce yourself thread! (56k warning!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some pics of my car. You can look at the full gallery at: http://tim.midwestlost.com/gallery/93Cutlass

Overall, not bad for a 16 year old car.

Original Mileage baby!

Pretty Clean Engine.

Mmmmmmm...nearly new tires.

To Do List:

First Round Of Mods. The v6 badges came from a 92 Topaz I used to own. They should look snazzy installed on the front fenders behind the wheels.

Other than what's listed above, it appears that only the front driver's speaker works. So I will be getting the radio situation resolved quickly. I'm also considering leaving the ashtray out and mounting some electronic goodies there. The AC blows cool air, so I may look into recharging it and see if that helps. If not, no bigs. I've always been more of a windows man myself.

Lastly, what is the installation procedures for installing an aftermarket tach? Any other suggestions on how to fix any of the other minor things would be great too, such as replacing the turn signal and removing the removing/installing the trim piece on the door.
    Last edited by dagr8tim; 06-02-2008, 04:58 PM.
    Tim
    A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

1997 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 I6/Auto)
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (4.6/Auto) (The Tank)

Comment

Lastly, what is the installation procedures for installing an aftermarket tach?
      you will have to check that this is right but i geussing so
      http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_an...x?sid=3&qid=13

Originally posted by LordDurock
      most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
      82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
      00 VW jetta 2.0
      00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Comment

Originally posted by dagr8tim View Post
        Any other suggestions on how to fix any of the other minor things would be great too, such as replacing the turn signal and removing the removing/installing the trim piece on the door.
        I would search ebay for OEM shop manual....most likely, two manuals cover it all on your vehicle.

For trim, I'd ask someone at a body shop....

I do my own maintenance (except front end alignment and auto transmissions), but generally, I acquire OEM manuals whenever possible....Latest manual I have is before 1990...

Comment

That car looks like it has had a rough first 99k miles, but worth fixing up!

Comment

Well now that I got my car working I decided I might as well post in the Introduce Yourself Thread.

This is my 96 Ciera. The last of the a-body line.

It is a granny car, I bought it off my grandma for a good price about a year ago. It had been sitting for around 2 years, and prior to that it had every service interval done by a dealer. I even have all the receipts to prove it.

Now i am in the process of fixing her up nice and maybe putting a little bit of my own style into it.

This forum has been a treasure trove of knowledge for me, and it lets me know that my car has the potential for a long life.

This summer my plan is to do a good amount of maintenance on the car, fixing everything I can, so I am sure that i will be visiting the forum quite often.

looking forward to learning a lot,

-James

p.s does anyone know the best place to get a trunk actuator / have one in their parts pile / seen one in their local junkyard? i am in the market for one...

Comment

Well i figure i may as well do what the other people are doing, My name is Shae and i drive a pontiac 6000 S/E

I guess i shoulda introduced my self before starting to ask many questions!

This is my ride, its a piece right now, but I have many future plans!

Although i took that whole wheel and column out of there, I dont need the controls because i have an aftermarket deck, and the piece right behind the tilt was broken as you can see i jammed something in there to keep the wheel straight

My Car:
              1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
              3.8L Supercharged

My Girl Friends Car:
              1989 Pontiac 6000 LE
              2.8L

R.I.P 1990 6000 LE and 1989 6000 S/E... You will always be remembered..

Comment

Shae, I like the spoiler and ground effects on the 6000's That car has potential for sure. Yep the tilt-columns can be a pain when they break. Some people are in the habit of using the steering wheel as a handle to help support themselves as they sit down in the car, leading to looseness and eventual breakage of the tilt joint. I had a customer who was quite 'rotund' and broke 3 columns!

Another way to break the tilt is to operate the car with bad steering pump. The column is mainly designed to operate the steering with hydraulic assist. While it may be tempting to take the view "I'm strong I don't need no stinkin' power steering!" this will be bad in the long run. You'll break the column while forcing the wheels to turn without the assistance of the hydraulic pump!!

If it was originally designed with manual steering, the steering gear ratio is different and that is OK.

Just my two cents worth!
                David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by notsoslimshady76 View Post
                  That car looks like it has had a rough first 99k miles, but worth fixing up!
                  The car's not bad. I'm debating the best way to fix the rust. I'm also considering trying to find a decent body and dropping my drivetrain in.

But for now it's a back and forth car, so I'm not as worried about the body as the mechanicals. I plan on doing some work on it today. I got really nice sunburn yesterday from my junk yard excursion, but it was well worth it.
                  Tim
                  A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

1997 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 I6/Auto)
                  1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (4.6/Auto) (The Tank)

Comment

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would chime in and show what I have:

It's a 1993 Cutlass Ciera Cruiser SL

Bought it with about 25K miles on it. (Little old lady car)

One of the first things I did to it other then get a small tune up was....

Some things I have done to it since I got it about a year ago:

Shocks
                    Tires
                    Brakes
                    Radio (as you have seen)
                    New Harmonic Balancer

I did the front brakes but the drums are no fun for me so I had those done at a Goodyear service place along with the shocks, tires, and balancer. Wish the people that had it before me had washed it more then they did, the under body is just starting to rust away. I already had the handbrake cable along the back axle break on me, I had the car jacked up to replace the fuel filler neck and as I was lowering the jack it just started to go through the body

I have some problems at the moment that I need to get fixed but I will save those for anther spot.

See you around the forums.
                    Last edited by middleman; 06-18-2008, 01:39 AM. Reason: Forgot something....?

Comment

yea

im brian
                      guitarist lead singer song writer for my band
                      bought this buick a few days back

its pretty good
                      $650
                      spent
                      3.3 mfi
                      not bad
                      lowered
                      cherry bomb exhaust
                      sounds tough
                      no obnoxious drone at steady speed
                      its my third vehicle at this time
                      but is already the primary driver
                      (thank you gas prices)
                      both my truck and my blazer are parked

but yea im new here

Comment

Comment

Comment

welcome. how is it that the century was lowered, do ya know?
                            1989 Celebrity 2.8l v6 115,000 miles
                            Cold Air Intake-----------------------Trans-am Spoiler
                            Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler------225/50/R16 Hankook's
                            Custom Dual Exhaust Setup---Alpine CDA-D855
                            MA-Audio 12" Sub------------------Soundstorm Amp
                            --------Custom "firm/lowered" suspension---------

Comment

not sure really

well
                              i know how
                              but i have no idea where they came from

its a full set up on the from
                              (shock spring and all)
                              i tried looking it up
                              but know luck

it basically looks like a coil over set up
                              but its not adjustable

the back may be stock ride hight
                              it looks a little low
                              but im not sure
                              i looked
                              and its just a black spring
                              (unlike the bright blue clearly aftermarket fronts)

Comment

sat it next to a buddys moms century yesterday

its much lower
                                about 4" in the front

and about 3" in the rear

rides good
                                kinda small truckish
                                handles better than my old s10 did
                                until that horrid understeer

i would rather have oversteer

Comment

Working...