Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduce yourself thread! (56k warning!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,

Finally re-registered!

Below are some pics of my 1994 Cieras. The white has 37k, I bought it w/ 36k from a 96 year old lady several weeks ago. The maroon one I've had for two years, I bought it with 63k and it has 87k on it now...I am also the 2nd owner of that one.

The maroon one has all KYB suspension, while the white one is stock. In one of the pictures you can see the difference in ride height. The maroon ciera rides so much more firmly and securely than the other one lol. I plan on obtaining the same suspension for the white one along w/ addco bars for both.

Enjoy the pics Ill put up some more later.

J

white car odo

Comment

Originally posted by Teh Box View Post

The white has 37k
      Nice & Clean....Lucky You...

Comment

Those are some great looking rims, Teh Box! What kind & size are they?
        What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Comment

They are some no-name 15x7 rims on expensive kumho rubber lol. I think the rims are made by ICW Racing or something like that..I'll look. From far away they look like y2k cobra rims but when you are close each thin chrome is backed by a bigger grey spoke which really ties into the gray stripe in the paint.

Comment

Hello. This'll be my first post here. I'm Curtis, I'm 19, and own an '88 Pontiac 6000. 208,000 miles and runs like new. Currently, though, it's in need of a new radiator cradle, as it fell off a jack and the jack crushed the cradle, the shroud, and god only knows what else. I'm in the process of trying to get a brand new radiator to fit, I'm probably going to replace the shroud too, if I can't get it back in something resembling it's original shape. It still runs great, though, When my family first got the car, the computer was shot and it had just barely enough power to move itself. It ran rich, missed on 2 cylinders, and had been like this for a couple years. At the time, it had 47,000 miles on it. When I got it at 16, I drove it 80 miles both ways to work and back 5 days a week for a couple of years, and it never failed me until the lower transmission cooler line developed a leak. I took it to a shop because I had another car ('88 Dodge Dynasty, 3.0, 85,000 miles) and it fell off the jack there, so I'm fixing the resulting problems there, as the shop will not pay for the damages and won't even admit it happened. I'll post pics of the damages and the car when I'm next working on it.

Comment

Welcome! Glad you are here, we've got alot of knowlgable people and just plain interesting folk here to talk cars.

Originally posted by 208kmilesona6000 View Post
              I took it to a shop..... it fell off the jack there.... the shop will not pay for the damages and won't even admit it happened....
              DUDE that sucks. I remember when I worked at a car shop, I had the alternator off a car sitting on top of the engine (still had electrical wiring connected). It had to come off to access some other part. The car was an import with those crappy gas spring hood supports. The wind gusted and blew the hood down on the alternator and put a HUGE, HORRIBLE DENT in the hood. (that looked just like the pulley on a Nippondenso alternator).

I owned up to that and we had to paint the hood. BUT this lady not only continued to come back for service, she bought a car from our shop and sent us lots of other (profitable and good quality) customers.

Why people lie about mistakes like that is beyond me. It's not like the car owner will "not notice" a damaged radiator and broken cooling fan.

I bet they used a service jack, and instead of jacking up on the frame, they placed the jack under the radiator support and pushed everything up.

My 84 Century Olympia was that way when I got it. I had to push the radiator support piece down by tamping it with a long piece of steel flat bar (with radiator removed). Also had to tamp down the rear floorboards for the same reason!

Anyway glad you are here and looking forward to seeing your pictures!
              David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
                Welcome! Glad you are here, we've got alot of knowlgable people and just plain interesting folk here to talk cars.

DUDE that sucks. I remember when I worked at a car shop, I had the alternator off a car sitting on top of the engine (still had electrical wiring connected). It had to come off to access some other part. The car was an import with those crappy gas spring hood supports. The wind gusted and blew the hood down on the alternator and put a HUGE, HORRIBLE DENT in the hood. (that looked just like the pulley on a Nippondenso alternator).

I owned up to that and we had to paint the hood. BUT this lady not only continued to come back for service, she bought a car from our shop and sent us lots of other (profitable and good quality) customers.

Why people lie about mistakes like that is beyond me. It's not like the car owner will "not notice" a damaged radiator and broken cooling fan.

I bet they used a service jack, and instead of jacking up on the frame, they placed the jack under the radiator support and pushed everything up.

My 84 Century Olympia was that way when I got it. I had to push the radiator support piece down by tamping it with a long piece of steel flat bar (with radiator removed). Also had to tamp down the rear floorboards for the same reason!

Anyway glad you are here and looking forward to seeing your pictures!
                David
                The cooling fan works, surprisingly. The car had to have fell off the jack... it took a couple of plug wires off (no damage to the coilpacks or ignition module, thank god) which I replaced before starting it. The bottom of the cradle is dented in, and the top bolts for the shroud were literally TORN out of the metal they bolt in. The radiator is bent... I guess one of the tanks is busted, as it leaks around the top and bottom of the radiator. The hood sits about an inch higher than it should, and the grill is pretty close to falling off.

I appreciate the welcome. The car ain't much to look at, but it's the most reliable car I've ever seen. The thing starts before it turns over even once. I call it the 6000RBE. RB stands for rust bucket edition. No frame rust, no floorpan rust, just surface rust where the car had been wrecked and the replacement parts were improperly treated. Pics will come soon enough.

Comment

UNBELEIVABLE. That sounds like it fell off a LIFT and hit the floor with the front end pointed down at a 45° angle!

So these idiots just told you your ECM problem is "fixed" and returned it to you with disconnected plug wires, misaligned hood, busted radiator, and grille falling out? How can they deny such severe, visible damage as this?! Can we say "small claims court?"

Hey the RBE edition is a curable problem. As long as the underbody is sound, surface rust is a non-issue and only indicates a paintjob needed.

My 86 Century T-Type Turbo is a mess, it has a half-primer hood (blew away paint with pressure washer), a rusty primer trunk lid (got from junkyard to replace theft damaged lid) and a dented right rear quarterpanel (trailer incident). That does not slow it down any and the local rice car boys are terrified of it!

It is going to get restored soon but I want to get my 84 car back together first.

Later,
                  David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

UNBELEIVABLE. That sounds like it fell off a LIFT and hit the floor with the front end pointed down at a 45° angle!

So these idiots just told you your ECM problem is "fixed" and returned it to you with disconnected plug wires, misaligned hood, busted radiator, and grille falling out? How can they deny such severe, visible damage as this?! Can we say "small claims court?"

Hey the RBE edition is a curable problem. As long as the underbody is sound, surface rust is a non-issue and only indicates a paintjob needed.

My 86 Century T-Type Turbo is a mess, it has a half-primer hood (blew away paint with pressure washer), a rusty primer trunk lid (got from junkyard to replace theft damaged lid) and a dented right rear quarterpanel (trailer incident). That does not slow it down any and the local rice car boys are terrified of it!

It is going to get restored soon but I want to get my 84 car back together first.

Later,
                    David
                    Basically, yeah. They fixed what I told them to, but they destroyed the car in the process. It's still driveable, even with the radiator leak. It's a slow leak, and only leaks when the vehicle is running. I wouldn't trust it to drive to Cali, but I trust it enough to drive it around town every week or so. I took them to small claims court and lost, because I couldn't afford a lawyer worth his salt. I'm fixing the car myself, as I do love the car. You'll never find another 80's front wheel drive car that handles and drives like an A-body.

I might do a full overhaul on the engine too, but it doesn't use any oil, doesn't knock, no ticks, no noises whatsoever other than the typical piston clack that's notorious in the 2.8s. In fact, the only oil it uses, it leaks out of the rear seal. It's about an eighth inch down on the dipstick every 3 months or so. Not even enough to worry about. I'm still kind of peeved about the shop treating me like that.

Comment

That's too bad about loosing in court. Since the damage is fixable your best bet is to just fix it and move on. It's hard to do but sometimes you have to trust that in the end, those who do other people wrong will be punished.

My car has a piston slap (clicking sound) that I attribute to a rebuild mistake I made when I put the engine together (over 10 year and 100,000 miles ago).

If it were a serious problem the engine would have failed long ago - I learned alot about how NOT to tune a turbo system before I got this one right. The engine withstood all that (detonation and lean running) and still runs!

Once I get the 3.8 SFI built and get my 84 Century on the road this one will get a well-deserved rebuild!

I do like the way these cars ride. Many of the newer cars are "harsh" or "buzzy" and these cars are very smooth yet still handle excellent. I drove my T-Type to New Orleans a week ago and that trip was 5 hours but it was not hard at all.

I'm about to start commuting to New Orleans one way every other week so it will get some more miles put on it than it has in the past years.

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

That's too bad about loosing in court. Since the damage is fixable your best bet is to just fix it and move on. It's hard to do but sometimes you have to trust that in the end, those who do other people wrong will be punished.

My car has a piston slap (clicking sound) that I attribute to a rebuild mistake I made when I put the engine together (over 10 year and 100,000 miles ago).

If it were a serious problem the engine would have failed long ago - I learned alot about how NOT to tune a turbo system before I got this one right. The engine withstood all that (detonation and lean running) and still runs!

Once I get the 3.8 SFI built and get my 84 Century on the road this one will get a well-deserved rebuild!

I do like the way these cars ride. Many of the newer cars are "harsh" or "buzzy" and these cars are very smooth yet still handle excellent. I drove my T-Type to New Orleans a week ago and that trip was 5 hours but it was not hard at all.

I'm about to start commuting to New Orleans one way every other week so it will get some more miles put on it than it has in the past years.
                        Yeah, I agree. Someone a lot less nice than me will get screwed by them and they'll probably regret it all the way to the grave.

I really do enjoy the comfort and ride of an A body, they're not floaty, but you don't break a tooth when you run over a chewing gum wrapper either like some modern cars. I really like 'em. They're plenty quick, too. Especially for their horsepower ratings.

Comment

hello, i feel good to be back I am formerly 1994CruiserS, from the old forums and was a student at RIT....heres what i had back then, Adelaide, 159K miles, she blew her gaskets and totaled the engine....

for the time between Adelaide and Bruno, i had Big Bertha, a 1992 GP gas guzzling beast, 3.1 v6 and 3 speed in a W-body sedan... i averaged 20 or less MPG combined but now i have Bruno...traded BB for Bruno+400 cash, he has 89K miles, and is a 1993 Buick Century wagon with all 3 rows of seating 3300 90deg v6 and 440t4 4 speed AOD....excellent shape and handling.....but the previous owner didnt garage him, so he's got sunburnt on plastic painted parts, and the stainless is permantly stained or something, SOS and Nevr-Dul polishing compound didnt work, so i'm gonna have to find a shop who can help me bring the shine back.

"All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
                          -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
                          proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
                          Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Comment

Cool people and cars on here

J

Comment

Love the rims on the Cruiser CamoDeafie I need to get trim rings for mine.

Comment

Hi Im george from arkansas and I have always liked celebrity's in particular. When I was a kid my uncle bought a brand new dark blue 84 euro. Ten years later I got my first car and it was an 88 2.5 euro. It was totalted in 97. In 98 I found my current 89 euro and I made it out to look like my 88 plus it was a v6. In the late 90's I bought an 84celeb2.5 beater that I used to deliver pizza's with and then upgraded to an 87 dark blue euro 2.8 and after a while the block cracked and I junked it. Then I bought an 88 maroon euro wagon and eventually sold it. But I never got rid of my 89. My 89 still runs good with over 202k. (update) its now 2017 and it has 252k now.
                                Last edited by george; 01-06-2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X