No announcement yet.

What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was in the 40s here today so I went out and started my baby up. I think I may need a new power steering pump. She was whining pretty bad when cold and then went totally silent when warmed up. But seem to be losing pressure when turning from end to end. Maybe the rack too. The rack is the original factory rack. I will have to check it for leaks on another warm day.

Comment

40s yesterday too and supposed to be tomorrow and next week. I got started getting the new engine prepped for the Cruiser. Loosened and anti-seized spark plugs, EGR, and sensors. Removed unneeded stuff like fuel lines and harness. While it's out, I'm going to replace the valve cover gaskets, distributor o-ring, oil pan gasket, and paint the oil pan. Engine is very clean, no carbon in the plenum like there was in my Celebrity when I did the swap.
      1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
      1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
      1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
      1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
      Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Comment

I was inspecting my baby today and found a problem. A small puddle of coolant sitting atop the timing cover just behind the water pump. Could be an intake leak but it won't do it for me when I start the engine and bring to full operating temperature. It's a very small leak from the looks of it but I noticed that after an hour or so drive after I shut the car off the coolant tank bubbles a little bit. No signs of coolant in the oil. No signs of oil in the coolant. And I think I hear an intake leak when it's cold...........but only when it's cold. It disappears quickly when the engine heats up and things expand.

I've ordered a cooling system pressure tester.

That's what I've done with my baby today. This year she is gonna need a lot of things. She's getting old and so am I.

Comment

At least a 3300 intake is a pretty easy job, compared to a 3100.
          Jerry

Comment

I have a 93 Century 3.3 and I had coolant in same area for years. I think it is coming from the pipe that comes out from the intake and goes to the heater hose. That pipe is pushed into the intake with a o ring. On mine the bracket that is attached to that pipe broke off and I just have cable ties holding it. I don't loose much. Will probably have to deal with that soon.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvairGeek View Post
              At least a 3300 intake is a pretty easy job, compared to a 3100.
              Oh gosh yes. Much easier.

Comment

I just ordered a new radiator and hoses. The rad on there now is original with the plastic side tanks. Had one tank repaired five years ago. I've decided to go with a full metal rad. Gonna do the entire cooling system this year. Still waiting on the cooling system pressure tester. Gonna flush the entire cooling system and the block as clean as possible. Then seal any and all leaks and put new parts in. This is gonna be fun. I love working on my baby. That is what is going on today.

Comment

Going to lunch with the wife today and the '96 quit at a stop light with a noticeable 'snap' in the radio. Started right up and got the 'snap' with a noticeable hesitation a few more times as we headed on to McDonald's. We turned around and made it back home.
                  The main power connector near the battery was very warm. I had already added a second, identical connector when the first of the 3 conductors overheated some time ago. This time it was the one with the smaller, darker fusible link.

Now I've only got one more to go, though I don't recall if the center conductor is known for overheating the connector like the outer two.

Jerry

Comment

I find those going when the alternator is overloading the system or a huge surge from the power windows / locks sometimes the drivers door boot wires tend to crack there insulation and grounding out and causing that sound . Since the radio static sound u heard I suspect main black ground wire. Jerry also the crank sensor wire to the ignition control module might have a broken insulator wire . To blow those fuseable links from the battery is a huge drawn to cause them to go . I had a power window motor wire break in the boot cause one then a few years later the headlight switch caused that overload and blew the middle fuseable wire . When the crank sensor harness wire cut the car off it finally blew out the last fuseable link That?s what my 95 did 🤷🏻*♂️

Comment

My neighbors '93 Ciera had a power window wire break and ground against the inside of the back door one time. Man that was a bear to find. It was rubbed right thru in an area where you couldn't see it. Blew the fusible links. Timely repair. You would think a fuse in the fuse box would have blown first but it didn't.

Comment

Well, my new rad is here. It has option to place trans cooler lines on either side. I think I'm going to change the trans cooler lines to the drivers side. This is an all aluminum over sized radiator. I haven't checked it for fitment yet. And it looks like my coolant leak may be from the htr. cooler pipe behind the water pump. I think that teflon o-ring seal gave out.

Too cold in the garage to work on cooling system stuff so I'm just letting it go for a warmer day. Ain't in no hurry at all.

Comment

I may have not explained my failure very well with the main power connector. No fusible link blew, it is just the overheat of the connector when it becomes resistive, damaging both the contacts and the connector. Seem to only be a phenomenon in '94-'96 cars, though I've seen some differences (or possible repairs) on the '94s in particular.
                          Jerry

Comment

Ahh sorry Jerry I get it now my bad sorry for my long explanation could have been me who didn?t get it

Comment

No problem! If someone does blow a fusible link, it is important to look further.
                              Last edited by CorvairGeek; 04-01-2019, 12:37 AM.
                              Jerry

Comment

Picked up the 88 cutlass cruiser from my retired exhaust guy. Replaced the cat but most everything was shot from there back. Got my pipe, muffler, and tailpipe in and Jim welded me up for $55. I had paid 30 for welding the cat. Still having the idle/cut off issues. Looked for the temp fan sender and assume it?s on the rear of the 2.8. Mechanic said he didn?t think I could get the idle straight with the fan running constant(although I don?t see that as thermostat controls engine temp) but I do realize the fan is intermittent not constant duty so I need to fix it. Have the SMP TS 147 just need the energy to put it on the ramps and replace it as I assume it is on rear or engine. I did read fuse link and circuit must be good if fan runs grounding relay so hopefully the switch will fix the fan issue. Wanting to address me AC and some alloys when I solve the cut off problem. Should I just put a new fuel pump in it. Only has 112k, May be original.

Comment

Working...
                                X