Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Did You Do to Your A-Body Today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I just got a new tire and wheel package for my baby. 205 65R 15 General Altimax RT43 tires Mounted on MB Wheels 15x6.5. She handles great. I took some advice from Keith on the tire size. I like the 65s better than my old 60s.

    As soon as I get some nice weather I'll pull her out of the garage and take some pics. It's been really gloomy and rainy here in Chicago.

    Comment


      Awesome sir you will enjoy them

      Comment


        Besides proving the oil pump drive can be removed with the lower intake in place, earlier in the week;



        I found the front motor mount had collapsed;











        Not bad to change, except the 18MM bolts on the bracket to the block which are thread locked.
        Jerry

        Comment


          ^^^The oil pump drive doesn't always fit out of there so nicely, it seems there were variances in the castings. Sure beats a 3.4 DOHC though! Those suckers have a chunk of cylinder head hanging over the pump drive.
          -Andy

          '86 Eurosport VR coupe
          '86 Eurosport sedan
          '88 Eurosport VR coupe
          '89 Eurosport wagon

          Comment


            Originally posted by 86euro View Post
            ^^^The oil pump drive doesn't always fit out of there so nicely, it seems there were variances in the castings. Sure beats a 3.4 DOHC though! Those suckers have a chunk of cylinder head hanging over the pump drive.
            That doesn't surprise me. This one had some grind marks on the LIM (came this way new), so I'm sure the tolerances are all over the place (especially with the piss-poor quality on this POS). It wasn't leaking anyway, but the replacement Viton (it was brown and from a GM dealer) was stiffer than the new one I installed.

            I probably ought to look at getting a new harmonic balancer for it too. I see cracks in the bonding rubber, and I have no idea how long may last like that.
            Jerry

            Comment


              Jerry,

              I probably could have gotten mine out on the two that I did, but my issue was the oil pump drive just didn't want to come out easily. It was hard to get a hold of the thing. Without the LIM, it was a bit easier. In my case though the LIM gaskets were ready!

              That front motor mount is on my agenda when I move to the other side. Should be fun!

              Ken T.

              Comment


                I recall the drive being harder to pull when it had the original, crispy O-ring. Not bad this time, just semi- surprised it really cleared. If a car still has the original plastic and weather pack connector excuse for an intake manifold gasket (aka GM ensuring this loyal owner will buy Asian next time), the lower needs to come off anyway. I accomplished this fix in 2006.

                I think you will find the front mount is a piece of cake compared to a lot of things on the car. My only issue was one of the 18mm bolts holding the mount bracket to the block making a 'snapping' sound as it turned. I was convinced it was slipping or taking threads with it. An impact would have solved this, but I made it without any no damage.
                Last edited by CorvairGeek; 04-10-2017, 06:00 PM.
                Jerry

                Comment


                  Originally posted by CorvairGeek View Post
                  I recall the drive being harder to pull when it had the original, crispy O-ring. Not bad this time, just semi- surprised it really cleared. If a car still has the original plastic and weather pack connector excuse for an intake manifold gasket (aka GM ensuring this loyal owner will buy Asian next time), the lower needs to come off anyway. I accomplished this fix in 2006.

                  I think you will find the front mount is a piece of cake compared to a lot of things on the car. My only issue was one of the 18mm bolts holding the mount bracket to the block making a 'snapping' sound as it turned. I was convinced it was slipping or taking threads with it. An impact would have solved this, but I made it without any no damage.
                  I'm still on the other side dealing with the trans mounts. Just got the rear one out. So much fun....can't tell you. Without an impact, I wouldn't have gotten it out.

                  Ken T.

                  Comment


                    I changed my plugs and wires with ac delco wires and upgraded to #14 ac delco platinum plugs. The old ones didnt look too bad. The most time consuming part was figuring out how to get that stupid plastic plug wire router guide on the front valve cover. I didnt know it seperates into 2 seperate pieces, I took the coil pack off and forced the plastic guide and wires out sideways.

                    Comment


                      Just did a front brake inspection today. Sanded the front rotors and pads with 80 grit sand paper and cleaned everything up with brake cleaner. Gonna do the rears maybe tomorrow.

                      Comment


                        Put a new radiator and hoses in the Ciera today

                        Comment


                          Shaft from water pump broke off, so belt went with it. Pulley came off with shaft. Good thing pulley was laying on sub frame when I opened hood. so drove home then replaced water pump and thermostat. All good now

                          Comment


                            Yesterday made the costly mistake of trying to remove the maf housing gasket. Ended up having to buy and install new housing and sensor. I should have got a fel pro gasket sheet and cut my own to fit. At least hesitation problem is fixed now.

                            Comment


                              Rotated my tires and gave her a once over plus changed the tranny fluid and filter on my 95 century .

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Ciera91 View Post
                                Yesterday made the costly mistake of trying to remove the maf housing gasket. Ended up having to buy and install new housing and sensor. I should have got a fel pro gasket sheet and cut my own to fit. At least hesitation problem is fixed now.
                                Interesting story with that. As you noticed, the housing comes with the MAF sensor and is not (usually, I did see a listing once) serviced separately. I was looking for the minimum air idle setting in the FSM for the 3300 and noticed it was absent. I did a search and found a list of fuel injected, GM minimum idle air adjustments. All engines were listed except our beloved Buicks. They are a foot note;
                                ** Do not set the minimum air rates on 3.3 N and 3.8 C, L, and 1 engines. Adjusting minimum air rates may cause other driveability complaints. The adjustment is set on a flow bench during manufacturing.

                                Buick engineers were serious about their MAF setup.
                                Jerry

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X