Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally bought one! 1989 Eurosport

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Even better news having it up on a hoist at work today- The whole underside is undercoated... next to no rust on the bottom which was a relief. I did discover a relatively serious oil leak though, will have to further investigate, it was too soaked to even try to tell where it's coming from. I noticed something interesting though, these cars have plastic fuel lines? I thought that was a new car thing?
    Live today's Chevrolet with Celebrity. LIVE IT

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Peoria Man View Post
      Good looking car! I'd drive that everyday for sure.

      Is that a more modern dash than I remember the Celebrities having? I only remember the older, less-padded looking version.
      Looks like a normal dash with a modern 1.5DIN radio
      Current:
      1989 Chevy Celebrity
      2006 Subaru Impreza (Daily)

      Previous:
      2006 Subaru Impreza (Sold)
      2000 Honda Civic (Scrap)
      2006 Ford Ranger (Sold)
      2000 Subaru Forester (Sold)
      1994 Toyota Camry (Scrap)

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by PGuru View Post
        Looks like a normal dash with a modern 1.5DIN radio
        I probably have it confused with a different trim level. Is the brushed silver/aluminum-looking piece blacked out on the Eurosport?
        Last edited by Peoria Man; 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM.
        1988 Fiero GT 2.8
        2002 Impala 3.4
        2006 Cobalt SS 2.4

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by 85Eurosport View Post
          Even better news having it up on a hoist at work today- The whole underside is undercoated... next to no rust on the bottom which was a relief. I did discover a relatively serious oil leak though, will have to further investigate, it was too soaked to even try to tell where it's coming from. I noticed something interesting though, these cars have plastic fuel lines? I thought that was a new car thing?
          My money is on the oil pump drive o-ring seal (a.k.a. old distributor drive o-ring)

          Ken T.

          Comment


            #20
            I thought so too, but it looks like the back of the engine (well, the part against the fire wall) is all wet. The rear valve cover might be a/the culprit.

            I'm installing my new radio this weekend, to get the radio/dash panel off to get to it, is it just those 3 bolts I see?
            Live today's Chevrolet with Celebrity. LIVE IT

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by 85Eurosport View Post
              Even better news having it up on a hoist at work today- The whole underside is undercoated... next to no rust on the bottom which was a relief. I did discover a relatively serious oil leak though, will have to further investigate, it was too soaked to even try to tell where it's coming from. I noticed something interesting though, these cars have plastic fuel lines? I thought that was a new car thing?
              It must have been updated, the plastic lines didn't start until '89.

              Originally posted by Century7667 View Post
              My money is on the oil pump drive o-ring seal (a.k.a. old distributor drive o-ring)

              Ken T.
              They actually still had a distributor through '86. But my money is on that too, or maybe a trans pan leak also.
              -Andy

              '86 Eurosport VR coupe
              '86 Eurosport sedan
              '88 Eurosport VR coupe
              '89 Eurosport wagon

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by 85Eurosport View Post
                I thought so too, but it looks like the back of the engine (well, the part against the fire wall) is all wet. The rear valve cover might be a/the culprit.

                I'm installing my new radio this weekend, to get the radio/dash panel off to get to it, is it just those 3 bolts I see?
                Mine mainly leaked the oil down the back side of the engine with a bad o-ring. My bet's on that being it too.

                As for the that dash panel, those 3 screws do come out, then you'll need to pop off the headlight switch knob, then unscrew that round plastic piece that holds the switch in place. Next up you'll need to disconnect the cig lighter (cannot recall how that works as mine had been gutted prior to me buying the car - someone else with a later model Celeb will have to chime in here) and the connector for the rear defogger (if you have one). At that point it should come free. I might be forgetting something, so others, go ahead and correct me as needed.
                The Fleet:
                1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon - Silver - Rust in Pieces
                1985 Chevy Caprice wagon - Cream, Project/cruiser
                2012 Chevy Sonic hatch - DD
                2012 Chevy Equinox - the new ride

                Comment


                  #23
                  If it has the cast aluminum valve covers, they are pretty bullet proof. The o-ring seal can get oil anywhere! The good news it I head it's easier to get to than the newer 3100/3400 engines.

                  Ken T.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I had a brain fart in my earlier post, I was thinking the car was an '85, lol.
                    -Andy

                    '86 Eurosport VR coupe
                    '86 Eurosport sedan
                    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
                    '89 Eurosport wagon

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I'm starting to lean towards the o-ring seal now too... if it just sits, it doesn't leak... but I had it idling in my driveway while I put the new radio in and it left a pretty big puddle.
                      Live today's Chevrolet with Celebrity. LIVE IT

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by 85Eurosport View Post
                        I'm starting to lean towards the o-ring seal now too... if it just sits, it doesn't leak... but I had it idling in my driveway while I put the new radio in and it left a pretty big puddle.
                        I'll agree with the O-ring for sure, my wagon did pretty much the same thing. Let me know if you need one, I have some laying around here someplace. Back when I did mine I ordered the ACDelco O-ring from Amazon, and somehow wound up with a 5-pack of them when I only needed one.
                        The Fleet:
                        1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon - Silver - Rust in Pieces
                        1985 Chevy Caprice wagon - Cream, Project/cruiser
                        2012 Chevy Sonic hatch - DD
                        2012 Chevy Equinox - the new ride

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Figured I'd update my thread for the first time in forever. I still have the car, but my sister has had it for the past nearly year. I just recently got it back because I'm moving to Arizona next week and wanted to take it with me. Shes currently sitting with 104,000 miles, 13k since I bought it with no repairs needed. I just did a huge service on the car... Oil change, tire rotation, air filter, fuel filter, serpentine belt, spark plugs, wires, o2 sensor, and tomorrow will be doing rear brakes all in preparation for it's 2,044 mile drive down to AZ.



                          Live today's Chevrolet with Celebrity. LIVE IT

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Beautiful my friend !!!! What rim choice did you use it works good and looks amazing !

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Glad to see it made the drive to AZ with no problem.
                              Jay

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X