Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• papawhellie
    replied
    Thanks I searched a few pages but did not turn these up. Think I?ll have my first go at auto ac and try the duster.

Leave a comment:

• 73blazer
    replied
    Originally posted by papawhellie View Post
    My ac freon pigtail wont hook to my 88 cruiser so i am figuring its not converted from r12. I have some old cans of freeze 12 i bought many years ago that need to be used. It was a r12 replacement that surfaced when 12 was pulled. I can pu a harbor freight pump and try it myself or do 134. My intial question is if someone can link me or advise on 134 conversion fittings to screw directly into the schrader valves on the abody. Second youtube links or advice to do freeze 12 or 134 after conversion on my own. I know turbo kinetic is the man. High 90's here just like in the true heart of dixie.
    I followed turbo's tutorial (there's a super nice video too) and used R152a (Duster). Mines been working great for two years now! Here's my story about it. The conversion is just as relevant for R134a if you don't want to use duster. It just doesn't perform as well as R152 in a R12 converted system. I read a GM study that actually said For converting R12 sysytems which had lower pressures , 152 was the best performing in those systems. It had something to do with R12 system pressures the compressors put out and just shoveling 134 in there which really needs a higher pressure, it doesn't perform near as good as R12 or 152. When they went to 134a systems from the factory they redesigned the compressors too.

If you have Freeze 12 I'd peddle it. That stuff is not real R12 it's a blend of other refrigerants.

The fittings you seek are generally available at any auto parts store. Just ask or search for R12 to R134a conversion fittings and they'll come right up. There's nothing specific to the car. R12 fittings were R12 fittings for all makes and models and R134a fittings are R134a fittings for all makes and models.
    It might be helpful to peak at your car to find where your fittings are and if somethings in the way. They did tend to shift them a bit here and there on the A-bodies over the years and they make 90degree,45 and straight conversion fittings which might give you easier access to your port with the bigger fitting on it.
    Last edited by 73blazer; 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• papawhellie
    started a topic Air conditioner conversion 134

Air conditioner conversion 134

My ac freon pigtail wont hook to my 88 cruiser so i am figuring its not converted from r12. I have some old cans of freeze 12 i bought many years ago that need to be used. It was a r12 replacement that surfaced when 12 was pulled. I can pu a harbor freight pump and try it myself or do 134. My intial question is if someone can link me or advise on 134 conversion fittings to screw directly into the schrader valves on the abody. Second youtube links or advice to do freeze 12 or 134 after conversion on my own. I know turbo kinetic is the man. High 90's here just like in the true heart of dixie.
Working...
X