Add a "How to" sub forum and a "project" forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a "How to" sub forum and a "project" forum

How about adding a "how to" sub forum in the Garage section?

This would be a place for people to take pictures step by step on how to do a certain job. Like how to do the brakes... How to replace a windshield, and etc. Pictures would be a requirement for this forum.
    Any old "how to" threads could be moved here.

And how about a "Check my project out" sub forum in the Garage section?

This would be a thread for the members to show off their projects and to talk about projects... Keep it clean and organized. (Could even move old "project" posts to this forum to keep it all in one place.

Cheers,
    George

Excellent idea George. I'd say pictures optional though. Not every job requires photos, plus if someones photo hosting site account gets cancelled all you'll see on the thread is a bunch of boxes with red "X"s. I'd say let posters use their own discretion on adding photos.

George

Comment

Arguably the "Performance Modifications" forum takes care of housing project threads. If you moved project threads somewhere else, you would leave a forum full of threads asking about wheels and tires every few days and what the viability of a given engine swap is. I don't see a reason to segregate them.
      Daniel
      Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
      Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
      Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

white89euro-

Good point. Maybe could add "strongly encouraged" instead of making it a requirement. I only thought that it should be encouraged, because anybody can talk, but pictures are cool.

Daniel,

At this point, you're right. But, if it was separated, and more members are encouraged to post pictures of their project and put in a forum of its own, and we address the traffic issue, then there would be more people posting here at the forum. The problem we have right now is unique to the fact that the membership here is small.

It would encourage less repetitive questions being asked, and the website being more easily searchable... And not only that, but to give people some ideas on how to repair or improve their ride... Visually with pictures.

Right now, it's all mixed, so it's not easy going way back to the beginning of that sub forum to read what was posted in the past. It'd be much easier to keep track if it was more categorized, in my honest opinion. (I am a webmaster and I run another private membership paid forum and I have seen a big difference in membership numbers when it's more categorized.)

George

Comment

A Show off your Ride sub forum would be awsome. I know i hate trying to search every sub forum for some1 to post pics of thier glorious abody. Oh and the image hosting issues would be solved if all you guys would just use photo bucket instead of garbage like image shack. Photobuckets free and not going anywhere
          "Pontiac, Of Course"
          1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
          1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
          1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
          1991 Audi 200 Auto
          1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

photo bucket instead of garbage like image shack. Photobuckets free and not going anywhere
            Definitely agreed. Would be even better if a-body forums supported uploads to its own server. The forum I run allows members to upload stuff to the server. It can be done, if image size as well as the file size is restricted.

Another idea is to form a 'club'... Where subscribers pay $10 a year to be a member. But it'd only fly if we could upload images to the a-body server. I know I would pay $10 a year via paypal.

I am also a member of simple tractors. I would strongly recommend that the administrator of this forum check it out for ideas...

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/default.asp

That forum is well constructed, and has a lot of members... Every one of them pays $10. The price includes access to the knowledge base, ability to upload pictures, ability to view pictures, ability to private message other members, and the ability to have your own profile with pictures that you can upload anytime.

Membership is paid by paypal or by mail.

Also, have a team of administrators, and a full fledged "board" and chapters. It might be going beyond to what was the original vision, but I think it's a great way to expand the member base... More members=more information and expertise on these cars=more fun interaction.

I would not hesitate to pay $10 a year if it included all these perks and was easy to access without too much moderation. Food for thought..

Comment

I agree with an How-to subforum! That would help a lot in finding help or preocedure on current repairs or modifications!
              Originally posted by mechanizeddeath
              I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
              " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Comment

A "How-To" sub forum would be nice. I have a step by step collection of pictures on replacing an ignition lock cylinder & also how to replace an A/C evaporator...
                What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Comment

The Knowledge Base (accessible from the navigation bar at the top) was meant to be our How-to repository. If you'd like to add something to the Knowledge Base, post it as a thread and PM me with the link.
                  - Joe

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing.

Moderators Note : Spam Removed
                    Last edited by Pontiac6ksteawd; 08-10-2011, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Both sound like a good idea! i alos think like a show off your ride would be cool too. Like how 60degreev6.com has theirs set up or maybe like cardomain??
                      Garage:
                      '86 Chevy Camaro Z/28 IROC-Z
                      '86 Buick Century Gran Sport
                      '10 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V
                      '94 Nissan Sentra XE
                      '00 GMC Seirra 1500
                      '17 Mazda 3 2.5
                      '88 Buick Century, LG5 3.1 Turbo Swapped (R.I.P.)

Comment

Working...
                      X