4.3L Olds Turbo Diesel Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.3L Olds Turbo Diesel Update

Hi everyone, just a quick update on my 4.3L Olds Turbo Diesel. I have been busy with a new job that has split working hours so my “free” time for input on this site has unfortunately been non-existent. I hope I can remember how to get the pictures to show in the posts!

Pictured are the installed cylinder heads and Harland Sharp full roller rockers.

The long block is together and I have most of the attaching accessories and brackets cleaned and painted ready to install. The engine will need to be set and bolted in place before the remaining accessories can be attached due to the wiring harness having to snake between components and the block.

The engine compartment is next to clean and get ready. I’m afraid that all the years of diesel oil on the painted surfaces has discolored the paint.

The CXRacing intercooler I will be installing to use with the fresh rebuilt engine.

This has been a long slow process and once the engine and accessories are in and secure, I will need to fabricate a new air divider for the intake manifold since the turbo will now feed through the intercooler inlet left front (of car)and exit the intercooler discharge on the right front (of car). The air will be entering the intake manifold from the opposite side of the engine compartment. Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by OldsTurboDiesel; 11-08-2009, 05:30 PM. Reason: Pictures not showing.

freakin awsome, I love park avenues! Definatly get some vids if you ever get time when its goin!
    "Pontiac, Of Course"
    1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
    1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
    1991 Audi 200 Auto
    1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

I plan to have videos of the start up, acceleration in vehicle, drive by and hopefully a trip to a chassis dyno!

Comment

hey so what are the part number for thouse rockers? and what was needed to make them work. i ask becuase im going to rebuild my 4.3 this summer, and want to do soem pro mods and make the bottom end stronger. hopefully you can help with that.

also what year intake is that i noticed it doesnt have the egr feed hole in the back bank

Originally posted by LordDurock
        most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
        82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
        00 VW jetta 2.0
        00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Comment

Hey awesome to see you're still moving forward with it! I've got to start moving on mine too!

Really looking forward to the videos.

Take care!
          David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by LordDurock View Post
            hey so what are the part number for thouse rockers? and what was needed to make them work. i ask becuase im going to rebuild my 4.3 this summer, and want to do soem pro mods and make the bottom end stronger. hopefully you can help with that.

also what year intake is that i noticed it doesnt have the egr feed hole in the back bank
            CSP-S5001 I believe is the Summit Racing part number for the rocker arms. The rocker stud holes will need to be sized from 5/16" to 7/16" for the larger rocker studs. The stud bosses where the guide plates sit needs to be machined down .320" (or the thickness of the guide plate plus height of the hex portion of the stud).
            The intake is 85' and the engine was originally external EGR (the collector for the turbo now occupies the crossover where the EGR use to be).

Comment

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
              Hey awesome to see you're still moving forward with it! I've got to start moving on mine too!

Really looking forward to the videos.

Take care!
              David
              Thanks, I might have to put this one on hold once I drop the engine in and bolt it down. My daughter is needing her 90 Beretta running for transportation to and from college, so I need to free up one engine stand long enough to build the 3.1L.

It might be a few months yet for the videos, but I am looking forward to see how it runs with the upgrades!

Comment

I don't mean to hate, but what kinda color choice is that?

It's an Olds diesel, shouldn't it be black and gold all over?

It's going in a Buick, old hat Buick V8's were cherry fire engine candy apple red.

Am I missing something?
                Alan Moore - Lawton, OK
                RIP Cobalt February 2020
                08 Uplander LS van, maroon, 259K and counting

Comment

Originally posted by occupant View Post

It's going in a Buick, old hat Buick V8's were cherry fire engine candy apple red.

Am I missing something?
                  no is should be this color but who cares mines black

repaint

most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
                  00 VW jetta 2.0
                  00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Comment

Originally posted by occupant View Post

Am I missing something?
                    First, the color you see on the engine is GM Corporate Blue so it is a GM color. The reason for using this color is contrast and I like the way it looks when complete, polished injector lines and all! Second, it keeps people guessing, 95% of the people who see this car do not know that Oldsmobile manufactured a V-6 FWD (or RWD for that matter) Diesel and have never seen one.
                    The early Olds gas engines did use black and gold paint but the Olds V-8 and V-6 diesels came from the factory painted with the Detroit Diesel Alpine Green paint (the faded color on Lord Durocks valve covers). It looks all right (to some) when freshly painted but looks terrible after some time of service.

Note the color on this Detroit 6-71, not how I wanted my diesel to look.

Comment

idk i kinda like it semi faded it more metalic

00 VW jetta 2.0
                      00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Comment

This has GOT to be my next A-Body find. Diesel A-Body
                        "Pontiac, Of Course"
                        1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
                        1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
                        1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
                        1991 Audi 200 Auto
                        1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

I like Detroit green, my 671 held its color good and cleaned up pretty nice with pressure washer. It was staarting to flake off though. It was in a 86 and I always spell this wrong... Brigidiere I had for a few years. Sweet truck.

That blue you are using looks like Olds blue from the 70's but then a tad like Chrysler blue too. I like it, interesting project and its an OLDS... YEAH!
                          75 Delta 88 Royale conv (120,000), 86 2dr. LeSabre Limited (140,000), 90 Ciera Cruiser SL (247,000), 90 Regency FE3 suspension added (375,000 !!!), 97 Oldsmobile LSS L67 (130,000)

Comment

I'm getting ready to start on my turbodiesel - gonna fab the system on the engine before pulling for a rebuild. Then when the engine is out; I can complete all the welding and stuff but will know everything is in the right place!

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
                              I'm getting ready to start on my turbodiesel - gonna fab the system on the engine before pulling for a rebuild. Then when the engine is out; I can complete all the welding and stuff but will know everything is in the right place!
                              When you start the rebuild make sure to use hardened keepers for the valve retainers. The original engine in the car dropped the intake valve in #5 cylinder returning home from a road trip and lunched the head and piston. There were just bits of metal to be found from the keepers.

Comment

Working...
                              X