90 Century Limited new to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 Century Limited new to me

Howdy yall im new to the car scene and the A-body community by extension. Im 21 years old and slowly learning. My daily is a 01 Pontiac Bonneville SLE, I havent had to do much to that car other than the normal maintenance for a 21 year old car- brakes, tires, spark plugs, wires, coil packs, an upper rad hose, blower motor, CV axles, wheel bearings, coilovers, tie rods and an EGR block off plate. But enough with the Pontiac, back in November I acquired a 1990 Buick Century Limited with the 3300. The seller told me he drove it every day for 2 years and only had to replace the battery. Idk if he meant he drove it in the last two years because it became obvious to me the car had sat for a while. The only dates i could find on the car was 2014 on the battery, 2012 date code on the tires, and a *2007* air filter, and a mud dobber nest on the front of the radiator, it also looked like mice ran over the engine bay but didnt chew anything up, and a flat spot in the front driver tire. Theres zero rust on the car other than the back of the roof by the windshield which I heard is very common for these cars. This is basically a full on revival at this point and Im enjoying every step of the way. The car would deploy a pretty big smoke screen from the tail pipe at first but we got the smoking to go down nearly entirely.

So far ive replaced all the obvious items that needed replaced - an oil change firstly, then starter, battery, alternator, plugs, wires, coilpacks, radiator, water pump, 180 thermostat, manual radiator fan switch in the dash, multiple cracked vacuum lines on the throttle body and intake. PCV valve, valve cover gaskets, engine coolant sensor and sending unit, fuel filter, air filter, shocks and struts, inner & outer tie rods. I also had to replace the headlight switch, turn/hazard flasher, and I replaced every bulb and tail bulb connectors as most of them looked burnt up on the back. I also put in a new radio, new 4x6s in the dash plus two 6x9s in their own boxes I got for free from a buddy.

So next on my list is to do the wheel bearings because they sound like on their way out and Ill probably do the axles at the same time just to be safe. Im gonna pull the injectors next as Id like to have those replaced, so I guess my question is what injectors do you guys recommend? Also I want to run fatter tires on the 14 steelies, what size should I get? And one last question, how do I take the top of the back seat out? I see two bolts at the bottom, does the top just clip in? Thanks yall, ill probably be posting pictures on this thread soon too

Comment

Ps got the back seat out just needed convincing (:

Comment

Have you ohm'd the injectors to see how how healthy they might be? I've never fully trusted new injectors from the parts stores, as it's hard to nail down which ones are most reliable when they are always changing suppliers. Accell and other branded "performance" injectors seem to be reliable. I have a couple sets of Accell injectors that have been good for 15 and 20 years.

I've always been fond of the 215/60/14 size. They used to be super common, but not so much anymore.
        -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
        '86 Eurosport sedan
        '88 Eurosport VR coupe
        '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

Injectors specced for a Ford 5.0 are the same flow rate (19 lbs), if you're having a hard time finding factory replacements.
          Daniel
          Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
          Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
          Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

I havent ohmed them out yet. Waiting for my buddy to return the meter to me. Its got a sputter im trying to pin down. I got it to stop sputtering as much, its more intermittent now. I replaced the vacuum line coming from the fuel pressure regulator or the regulator itself(?). Maybe i just need to seal up that vacuum line a little better.

Comment

I also got a 12in Boston G2 sub free ninety nine... How do i wire this? Can i just pigtail off one of the 6x9s?

Comment

It appears that sub has dual voice coils. If so then wire it tapped into each 6x9. Making sure polarity is correct. See how it works. If it doesn’t seem to be doing much or kills the output to the 6x9s then you should use a separate amp for the sub.
                1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
                1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
                1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
                1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
                Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Comment

Ok i gotcha. So if i read this correct.. Have both pos and sad wire from both 6x9s going into the sub?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastsids View Post
                    I havent ohmed them out yet. Waiting for my buddy to return the meter to me. Its got a sputter im trying to pin down. I got it to stop sputtering as much, its more intermittent now. I replaced the vacuum line coming from the fuel pressure regulator or the regulator itself(?). Maybe i just need to seal up that vacuum line a little better.
                    Bad injector or failing fuel pump could cause this stumble/sputter? Fuel pump sounds strong when starting.. I listened to injectors with a screwdriver held to my ear and two of them sound weaker than others. Intermittently when accelerating it will sputter and stumble like somebody is trying to bone the front of the car. Im sure its a fuel issue when only happens when accelerating..

Comment

Ok i gotcha. So if i read this correct.. Have both pos and sad wire from both 6x9s going into the sub?
                      If the sub has dual voice coils then it will have 2 pairs of terminals. Tie into the left and right 6x9s and connect one to each set of terminals.

If it only has one set then you can connect one 6x9 to the sub. You’ll only have half power and might miss some beats if they are panned to the other side in the sound. But you’ll maintain your stereo sound.

Or you can connect both 6x9s to the sub for more power but you’ll lose the stereo separation in the sound. I did this in my first car, I didn’t mind.

Or just leave your 6x9s alone and get a small amp. Your new radio might have dedicated plugs for a sub amp anyway, and you can control the bass boost from the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by tlc1976 View Post

If the sub has dual voice coils then it will have 2 pairs of terminals. Tie into the left and right 6x9s and connect one to each set of terminals.

If it only has one set then you can connect one 6x9 to the sub. You’ll only have half power and might miss some beats if they are panned to the other side in the sound. But you’ll maintain your stereo sound.

Or you can connect both 6x9s to the sub for more power but you’ll lose the stereo separation in the sound. I did this in my first car, I didn’t mind.

Or just leave your 6x9s alone and get a small amp. Your new radio might have dedicated plugs for a sub amp anyway, and you can control the bass boost from the radio.
                        Well i got a sub for free too lol.. Dual DA6002D.. Just power to batt, ground to chassis, then line in and line out from amp to radio and thats it? Then tie from amp into the sub?
                        Last edited by Eastsids; 03-17-2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Well i got a sub for free too lol.. Dual DA6002D.. Just power to batt, ground to chassis, then line in and line out from amp to radio and thats it? Then tie from amp into the sub?
                          Also remote turn on lead from radio. Here are wiring diagrams.

https://www.dualav.com/product/car/a...s-car/da6002d/

Comment

Originally posted by tlc1976 View Post

Also remote turn on lead from radio. Here are wiring diagrams.

https://www.dualav.com/product/car/a...s-car/da6002d/
                            thanks for your help and diagrams. This is my first time doing anything with a sound system

Comment

PS my head unit is kenwood 228 single din. It had three unused wires, blue, blue/white (p cont.) Continous power? And brown - mute. Im assuming i put my remote turn on lead to the blue?

Comment

Working...
                              X