New Project: 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera XC Special Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86euro View Post
    If it's hitting on the crankshaft trying to remove it, try rotating the crank to different spots while trying to pull out the pan.
    Ill try it but it doesn't seem to be hitting the crank, just stuck on the transmission on one side and engine mount on the other.
    1986 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport -- RS Transformation in process
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera XC Special Edition -- saved from the scrap heap
    1989 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD - turbo someday
    1993 Buick Century - supercharged GS (not a real one) project
    1994 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 2wd
    1997 Saturn SW1 -- The daily driver
    1978 Pontiac Sunbird coupe -- Iron Duke powered!
    1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Comment

Alright! Got it free. Pan has some sludge in it but nothing major. No bits of nylon or metal. COLD today so i'm packing it in for a warmer day to put it all back together. In the meantime ill clean up the oil pan and timing cover and get it ready to go back on.
      1986 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport -- RS Transformation in process
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera XC Special Edition -- saved from the scrap heap
      1989 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD - turbo someday
      1993 Buick Century - supercharged GS (not a real one) project
      1994 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 2wd
      1997 Saturn SW1 -- The daily driver
      1978 Pontiac Sunbird coupe -- Iron Duke powered!
      1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Comment

Sounds like the project is coming along nicely. Sucks working in this cold cold weather, dunnit? Takes so much longer to get stuff done. Can't wait for confirmation that she fires up and runs. Remember this, though: When you finally get to fire it up, and it's running rough, don't get discouraged. After sitting that long, there will probably be dried out/rotted elbows and vacuum hoses, ect, as well as the MAF may be dirty. So don't be like me. Keep calm LOL.

Good work so far, man.

I'd rather drive a cobbled together rustbucket Ford than a brand new Chrysler anyday.

Comment

To Mad Hatter:

Take your car to a technician and order all fluids drained out, complete tune-up, fuel filter, fuel-injection cleaning, oil drained out through the dipstick tube, and you should be fairly complete. I have yet to see an XC, but it seems to be a pretty special vehicle.
          Good Luck,
          Kristopher

Comment

To the MadHatter:

When I purchased my 85 STE in 11/07, I took the car to a garage where I had all of the fluids flushed out and replaced and the engine was given a complete tune up, including a new fuel filter. The technician said the torque convertor fluid smeeled so nasty, since it has been in the car since new. The car was repainted (Maaco), fuel injector/fuel system cleaned out, replaced the headliner and the windshield. The car cost $ 650.00 and I invested at least $2,000 in getting the car into the condition I wanted it to be in. Since then, I have driven the car from Tacoma, WA to Long Beach CA several times, driving on state and county highways as much as I could. It is one of only 85 STE's I have seen on the road.

Most Sincerely,

Kristopher

Comment

Originally posted by 86euro View Post
              That's a really nice looking Ciera! Lot's of potential there!

Also it seems that the cars with rare factory sunroofs always gravitate towards you, lol.
              Whats the 85' Ciera 3.0 L V6 advantages and disadvantages? Are they good engines and transmissions? Whats the mileage expectancy?

Comment

Originally posted by r13264201 View Post
                Whats the 85' Ciera 3.0 L V6 advantages and disadvantages? Are they good engines and transmissions? Whats the mileage expectancy?
                Hi. The 3.0V6 engine is a Buick 90°V6 engine. It shares some details with the 3.8 and 3300 engines. These engines are long-lived, however they do have a factory-installed nylon timing gear. This gear will deteriorate and fail. The result of this failure is bending of all the valves and pushrods and damaging the pistons. If you plan to drive one of these cars, you MUST verify the timing gears are updated to the all-metal style.

As for the fuel economy; it's an 80's carburetor engine. Don't expect stellar mileage out of it. These 80's carburetor cars had very poor factory tuning to them, because of emissions control reasons. I don't really know what sort of mileage to expect, so maybe someone with more experience on driving one of these cars can comment.

The transmission is a 125C. This is one of GM's more reliable transmissions. However, since it's only a 3 speed, the fuel economy will not be as good as it would be with a 4 speed transmission.

Hope this helps!

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

It does help! And I did replace the timing chain and sprocket with all metal on my 85 Ciera.

The car is in the paintshop right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X