Celebrity rehab: 86 Eurosport coupe edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrity rehab: 86 Eurosport coupe edition

Hey all! Figured I might as well start a project thread for my long serving 86 Eurosport coupe. This first post will mainly cover the history of the car up until now.

Quick bit of history....Why do I love Eurosport coupes? This was my first car, which was totaled by a drunk driver in 1993:

Yes, I know I look like a dork.

Now to current times, all of my cars are named after historical naval battles and this is Coral Sea. I purchased her in May 1998, she was a trade in at Bob Brown Chevrolet where I was working at the time. This was the first (but not the last) vehicle that I bought before even driving it and she set me back 2800.00 and change. Since the accident in 93, this was the first Eurosport coupe that I had found that was not rusted to crap. The original owners took very good care, and IIRC they traded this and a Beretta GT in towards a new Cavalier Z24. Mileage was at 70k. This picture was taken about 2000, the original steel rallys had been exchanged for these American racing wheels:

I then used her as a backup vehicle until an older woman rad a stop sign in 2005 and caused this:

(my 85 Citation X-11 has a sad cameo in this picture, I was parting her out at that time due to rust)

The damage was all cosmetic (thankfully) and here she is in 2008:

Also around this time I did recover the headliner and add a small roof console:

And changed the wheels back to a set of 84-86 alloys that I obtained off of another of my Celebrities:

Lastly I took a set of nice power buckets from a well-optioned Ciera sedan and put them in, adding the folding mechanism from one of my parts Celebs to them so they can be folded forward.

The bracket ton the left is for non fold, bracket on the right is for folding:

It folds! Yay!!

My car has now been in storage since December 2010, the fuel pump went out and due to a move back to our home (we had been living in Des Moines for a while while we worked on our house) I have not had a chance to work on it much. Here she sits at my Mom's house in Pleasant Hill Iowa:

The pump and lines have now been changed but there is no fuel/spark to the engine. I will update here as I try to get her back up and running!!

Bonus "Holy shit, we had a lot of snow!!!" pictures:

So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity sedan
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 88 Golf Cabriolet

That's a nice coupe, the interior compared to mine on Camilla is very clean!! Makes me almost afraid to drive mine once ready due to stupid people who seem to like wrecking our cars!!

Unfortunately I don't have a garage where I am so I may have to get a car cover for Camilla during the winter months. Also need to figure how to do my headliner too, as I am tired of driving older cars with sagging headliners.

Thanks for sharing those pics! Look forward to more! The seats in Camilla are dirty but hopefully can get them nice and clean, as I hate sitting in a dirty seat.

One question for you, do you know if the speaker sizes in your coupe are 6x9's for the rear and 4x6's for the front?
    My A-Body Cars (past and present), meet the family:

Car With No Name: 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera w/Iron Duke (My first car, R.I.P.)
    Camilla: 1985 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport 2.8L V6 MPFI Iron Head (My new road cruiser)
    Jeanette: 1987 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon 2.8L V6 (The daily driver)
    Danielle: 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4.3L V6 Diesel (Finally getting overhauled)

Comment

Headliners are pretty easy, I am redoing the one in my 89 sedan this weekend and will probably talk about it more when I start a thread for it. Yes, the speakers are 4x6 and 6x9, I changed them out long ago for different ones. The rear deck ones are Sony Mobile ES units that I installed in 1999, the fronts are 4x6 plates with a 3.5 inch woofer and a small tweeter. I think they are Polk Audio IIRC. The stereo in this has gone thru several incarnations, The headunit is currently a Sony Mobile ES CDX-580 with a Mobile ES 6-disc changer hidden in the center console. When I get it up and running though I plan on changing it out a bit for some even 'older school' stuff that is hiding in my basement right now!
      • 1988 Century Limited
      • 1985 Celebrity sedan

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 88 Golf Cabriolet

Comment

Good to see another coupe getting rehabilitated!

Have you figured out the ignition issue?

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Such a good looking coupe you have!!! Those alloy rims you put on recently are beautiful, I'm going to have to look for a set now. I'd imagine they're very hard to find without pitting or curb rash.

Odd question (I know): does your coupe's visors have mirrors? My celeb's visors have none at all, but could just because it's base model.

Comment

I dont think they do, I think that a lighted passenger mirror was part of the CL package as all of my CL Celebrities had them. To be honest though I have not looked in a while!
            • 1988 Century Limited
            • 1985 Celebrity sedan

Comment

There Eurosports are starting to grow on me..... ;-)

Ken T.

Comment

Originally posted by a1veedubber View Post
                I dont think they do, I think that a lighted passenger mirror was part of the CL package as all of my CL Celebrities had them. To be honest though I have not looked in a while!
                I've had a couple CL's and the lighted mirror isn't included. One is just a regular mirror and IIRC, one car doesn't have a visor mirror at all... it doesn't even have dome light trigger switches in the rear door jambs.

And I forgot you were in Iowa. I've spent a lot of time there over the last month, probably could have met, swapped parts, etc. I was all over the state.
                -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
                '86 Eurosport sedan
                '88 Eurosport VR coupe
                '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

Yep, I am about 30 miles west of Des Moines, right on I80! (in case any other members are in IA anytime!!)
                  • 1988 Century Limited
                  • 1985 Celebrity sedan

Comment

Didnt get a chance to work on the car this weekend, but something I have been kicking around it this:

I really like the white/black paint scheme on the 86 Eurosport wagon promo poster:

It also looks good on Astro vans:

[URL=http://www.astrosafari.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=21707]

I have been thinking about replicating it on my car. I am currently sitting on 8 Beretta GTZ wheels and am thinking of using them.

• 1988 Century Limited
                    • 1985 Celebrity sedan

Comment

1. I have that same poster and I always thought that wagon was silver?

2. The black/white combo would look great if it's like the poster, with body color bumpers and grille. Downside is, if you don't like it, you've painted a bunch of nice stock parts.

3. That Astro van kicks ass!
                      -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
                      '86 Eurosport sedan
                      '88 Eurosport VR coupe
                      '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

Awesome car history there! My first car was also an 86 Celeb, but it wasn't a sporty coupe but rather a sedan with the vinyl roof. Had a lot of fun memories with that car. Your coupe looked really good with those American Racing wheels on it, but the Eurosport wheels are a nice "correct" alternative. Get over there and get your fuel pump installed so that baby can hit the streets again. Just took a peek at your Cardomain page.
                        1986 Celebrity Classic 2.8 (First car - sold)
                        2013 Acura ILX
                        1994 Acura Legend (x 2)
                        1992 Acura NSX
                        drivetofive.wordpress.com

Comment

That astro van is the inspiration for the next one I get, as my wife misses our vw van for camping. I think the two toning is perfect on our a-bodies mine is done that way in silver/cast iron gray...

If your up to it try it on your corsica, I had a plan of making a "next gen" sport omega out of a corsica... simple badge changes and you have a unique runabout with similar two toning...
                          Roads.... Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Comment

Not much to report as of yet sadly Life has been very busy lately as we obtained a new house that needs rehabbed before we can move in. I did get the 85 Coupe earlier this year (along with an 89 S-10 and my brother's old International (69 1200D) so I have had NO free time!! Thinking of rolling this into a thread for both coups though as I do not plan on selling either of them!!

The 85 Coupe does now have plates, here it is outside the new house:

and back by it's new house for now. The little garage matches the house so I cannot bring myself to tear it down. Will need a bigger one soon though!!

• 1988 Century Limited
                            • 1985 Celebrity sedan

Comment

ANY garage/shed like that that is a keeper. It has character dripping off of it.
                              Sold June 2015
                              1990 Olds Ciera SL 3.3L 440T4 JA2 (FE3 upgrade underway.)
                              -96 Trans Sport swaybar
                              -98 Malibu 15" wheels (205 60 15 tires)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 2.0L
                              2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66 5.3L
                              2007 Mazda6 Sport 3.0L

USAF (Retired) 1986-2007

Comment

Working...
                              X