1988 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport - Slate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: 7/16/14

Today I had a friend of mine who has welding experience fix my door pin for me. I have some pics, but before it was actually broken out and I could not close the door, I had to use bungi cords.

And now for pics...

Before:

Got the pin out:

All welded and the orange tape is to make the door not wobble so much when it's closed:

After a coat of rust stop primer, all good!:

I also did some digging and found that: both my passenger side window motors are out, and I may be close to fixing my A/C.

Also, are these custom? I have never seen these before, these are on my door jambs:
    Vehicles:
    2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS (Daily).
    1988 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport Sedan (Project).

Comment

Originally posted by Intrahh View Post
      Update: 7/16/14

Also, are these custom? I have never seen these before, these are on my door jambs:
      Nope, same on my 86 century. As far as I know Fisher was a "coachbuilder" basically contracted to build the body panels for gm.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me though lol
      Thanks,

Brandon D.
      Vancouver, BC
      1986 Buick Century 2.8 carbureted

Comment

I believe Fisher was owned by GM at one time. Not sure what happened, maybe they were spun off like Delphi, Delco, AC, Harrison Radiator, etc.

Ken T.

Comment

Yeah, Fisher was basically just GM. It was the division that stamped out body panels and stuff.

That door striker repair looks better than a lot I have seen, but it might still end up cracking loose again over time. The best repair method is to cut out all the cracked metal, form a new piece of sheetmetal to weld in. Then you can use the original captured nut and retainer (or make a new retainer if it's trashed) and end up with original strength and adjustability (don't think that's actually a word, but I used it, lol.) too.

And there's really only one cause for the striker breaking loose- a door that is out of adjustment. There's 3 very common reasons a door is out of adjustment- worn hinge pins, the driver hanging on the door when the get in and out of the car, and the wind catching the door as it's being opened (flinging it open). In short, just make sure the door is adjusted well and then your striker should stay put.
          -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
          '86 Eurosport sedan
          '88 Eurosport VR coupe
          '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 86euro View Post
            That door striker repair looks better than a lot I have seen, but it might still end up cracking loose again over time. The best repair method is to cut out all the cracked metal, form a new piece of sheetmetal to weld in. Then you can use the original captured nut and retainer (or make a new retainer if it's trashed) and end up with original strength and adjustability (don't think that's actually a word, but I used it, lol.) too.
            Thanks and yeah I was thinking that but I'll go ahead and do that when/if it breaks again.

------

UPDATE 7-25-14

I finally found my missing hose and was able to get it (semi) replaced. I did have to rig a connector but the good news is my A/C is blowing cold out of all the vents. So that's one more thing off my list!
            Vehicles:

Comment

Well everyone, I haven't been on here in quite a while but wanted to update everyone. Sadly, Slate saw it's last days in October of last year. Had a fuel pump issue and was on stands for a few weeks and in that time all of the oil leaked out. I drove it and messed up the engine pretty bad. I was very upset but she went to the scrap yard shortly after that. I then bought a 94 Honda Accord and had that until recently when I had to sell it due to a financial issue. I now have an 84 Buick LeSabre Limited 2 door with some damage. Not sure if I'm gonna repair it or just use it as an A-B car. Interior is very nice but the front of the car has a lot of damage. Has a fair amount of rust but the car only has 76k miles. Anyway, just an update.
              Vehicles:

Comment

Glad to hear from you again, and sorry about your bad fortune with Slate. Is tha 84 LeSabre a front wheel drive, or a rear wheel drive? Those cars are probably nearly all gone by now. Hope you can make the best of it!

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
                  Glad to hear from you again, and sorry about your bad fortune with Slate. Is tha 84 LeSabre a front wheel drive, or a rear wheel drive? Those cars are probably nearly all gone by now. Hope you can make the best of it!
                  I think the '84 was still RWD, and '85 was the year it went FWD. I got to drive an '81 w/ 350 Diesel converted to at 307. It wasn't fast, but it had COLD A/C!

Comment

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
                    Originally posted by Century7667 View Post
                    I think the '84 was still RWD, and '85 was the year it went FWD. I got to drive an '81 w/ 350 Diesel converted to at 307. It wasn't fast, but it had COLD A/C!
                    It is rear wheel drive. It can do a massive burn out. However I am really just thinking of putting it in the demo derby this year. Its a classic but it has a lot of rust and damage.
                    Vehicles:

Comment

Not gonna be a popular thing to say here. Best to not stir the pot.
                      1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
                      1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
                      1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Century7667 View Post
                        Actually, all divisions still had a rear drive B body sedan for 1985. The 1985 LeSabre got a 'Collectors Edition' hood ornament very similar to the later 1996 Roadmaster Collectors Edition (right before GM went out of passenger car business, IMHO). The 1985 Olds Delta 88 was even offered in a 'Royal Brougham LS' which had a '98' style grill and all red tail lights vs. the amber rear turn signals of the lesser 88s. Definitely aimed at the 98 buyer that was apt to turn their nose up at the new 'C' body that may have been viewed as a stretched 'A' body (lots of things interchange) being sold with a luxury car price tag. B body wagons continued until 1996, except Pontiac, but they maintained a B body sedan through 1986 (IIRC).

1985 was the only year that the 'C' bodies were sold with the 4.3L diesel, just like the A-bodies.

Enough hijacking...
                        Last edited by CorvairGeek; 02-07-2015, 04:36 AM.
                        Jerry

Comment

Working...
                        X