My $850 cdn 92' Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3l pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My $850 cdn 92' Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3l pic heavy

Heres my car, a couple of days after I got it. I still haven't had a chance to clean her up due to the cold weather.

Shes in really good shape only 157kms on her. Ive put 300 kms since getting her only noticed a few issues. When I topped up tank with fuel it over flowed and spilled onto ground not sure if this is normal or if I have a leak in the filler pipe?. The car was sitting alot over the last few years only a couple thousand kms put on it since 2012. The transmission was worrying me as twice in the first two days i was in Drive and stopped to make a turn and as i hit the gas it was like the car went to neutral i had to put it in park and put it back in drive? Has not happened since im hoping it was just seized and needed to be run. It spent the first 22 years up in northern ontario and yes seen every winter however the PO had her oiled for the salt religiously and had the rust fixed as needed. I was lucky to get some of the receipts from over the years. It needs mostly some cosmetic items to bring her back. Everything works cruise all windows seats etc. Still waiting to try the A/C.

So things I have done or had done by mechanic as I live in a apartment not aloud to work on cars :-( but I can at my folks this summer!:
    New emergency break cable- PO had it cut.
    New serpentine belt
    New alternator it died on me a couple days ago.
    New PVC valve while alternator was off.- Never seen one in such a weird place.
    New fuel filter- I can feel the difference!
    New air filter-I also cleaned the air filter housing and tubes 22 years of dirt builds up!
    Oil/Lube and Filter.

Note: Starter was replaced day before I got her as it died unfortunately on the way to my place.

Things I want to get done soon:

New rear drivers marker cover/light-I guess this will be a junkyard trip
    New fuel door spring- I guess this will be a junkyard trip
    Tune up- New plugs/wires/coils
    Rad flush
    Break line flush
    Fix rust over passenger rear tire

Wish list:
    Custom made headers- Anyone ever done this?
    Maybe flowmaster 10?? still looking at options want the nice rumble sound
    New working power antenna

As for rims i love the stock look brings me back to the good old days white walls and wire spokes. So I cant see changing them anytime soon. But can you even buy new white walls? let alone the stock size?

Thanks for looking,

Ian
    1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ceira SL 3.3L 2014- Weekend/Summer Car
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4L Turbo 2012- Daily Driver
    Past
    1995 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 5.0L 2005-2012
    1995 Chevrolet Astro 4.3L Dads 1996-2003 Mine 2003-2005

There's about 3 makers of 185/75/14 white walls. Uniroyal,Cooper, and Hankook. Expensive to least order 85-55$ a tire. I'm actually going to get a set of the hankook's soon(55$). But 195/75/14 because most places actually have a full set in stock in that size.

Comment

nice car!
      if you are looking for a nice rumble, a thrush glass pack works nice. i've had a few people ask me if i had a V8.
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

Comment

Shes a beaut and love the red on red... my last a body was a white 92 with blue int. Didnt have the full gauges though
        Roads.... Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Comment

Nice looking Cierra, and welcome to the forum! That car is a great value for what you paid for it... I can never understand why people buy new cars for outrageous prices, and then lose 1/4 of the value as they drive off the lot.
          Not to mention the burgundy exterior on burgundy interior, I love it, you don't see that often on new cars.
          As for tires, you may want to look at some "BIG O" tires as well, they could still have white wall tires in that size. I've got a new set installed of them installed on my car by the previous owner.

Please keep us posted!

Comment

Your transmission slippage is probably caused by a slow leak. The transmission pan bolts will back out over time just from the vibrations of the drivetrain. Check them, and tighten as necessary. I recently found all twenty bolts on my Century's pan to be loose by at least 1/4 turn. Then check the fluid level. This has to be done with the car running and at operating temperature. It's probably at least a half liter low, if not more, to slip when cornering.

Other than that, it looks to be pretty well-maintained. That it has such a small amount of rust is the most amazing part.
            Daniel
            Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
            Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
            Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

I may have a marker for you I will have a look, I also have a bunch of stock rims from my previous let me know if you need anything as well as alternator and fuel fillers
              1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham 2.8
              1993 Chevrolet Carprice Classic LS 5.0L 350
              1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3L 4 speed Auto with Console Shifter (The Grey Grisley) RIP
              1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass SL 3.1L 4 Speed (Gave away I am sure it wishes it could die)
              1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate
              1995 Buick Century Wagon Rest In Pieces
              1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3L 4 speed Automatic (The Silver Bullet) Rust in Pieces

Comment

What do you mean by PO kept her oiled to keep the road salt of her. I would be curious to know. Also my car has a funny quirk when pumping gas. If the nozzle is seated all the way in the pump kicks off every couple dollars... I have to position it out slightly to not make it click off and then I run the risk of gas spilling out
                Roads.... Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciera91 View Post
                  There's about 3 makers of 185/75/14 white walls. Uniroyal,Cooper, and Hankook. Expensive to least order 85-55$ a tire. I'm actually going to get a set of the hankook's soon(55$). But 195/75/14 because most places actually have a full set in stock in that size.
                  Thanks ill take a look its wearing the Uniroyal's now tires are still good for now
                  Past

Comment

Originally posted by fixitman333 View Post
                    nice car!
                    if you are looking for a nice rumble, a thrush glass pack works nice. i've had a few people ask me if i had a V8.
                    Ive been watching you tube videos on these cars I like some of what I hear but I would really like to go true duels with custom made headers. For performance and sound. Not sure if possible or how much etc. From what i have read on here it will not be easy and most likely too costly to bother so Ill just do a muffler swap in the intern when the stock muffler gets a hole or two
                    Past

Comment

Originally posted by Overclocked View Post
                      That car is a great value for what you paid for it... I can never understand why people buy new cars for outrageous prices, and then lose 1/4 of the value as they drive off the lot.
                      I totally agree with you I have had two Chevys before a 95 Astro and a 95 Silverado C1500 my newest daily driver is a 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ- Don't get me wrong love the car the safety features as well as all the nice modern nice haves but the price is outrageous when after all we just need to get from point A to B and back. I didn't need to buy the Ciera but when I took it for a test drive this same thought came to my head: Why the heck am I paying so much for a new Car?!?! So I thought what the heck great price drove nice and it will be my weekend/summer car for now. I love looking at the old cars from the 50's you will never see such colour combos and styles ever again in my opinion. Too many have lost the love for the automobile and they treat them like disposable cans of pop :-) Enjoy the drink while it lasts then crush em!
                      Past

Comment

Originally posted by Duke George V View Post
                        Your transmission slippage is probably caused by a slow leak. The transmission pan bolts will back out over time just from the vibrations of the drivetrain. Check them, and tighten as necessary. I recently found all twenty bolts on my Century's pan to be loose by at least 1/4 turn. Then check the fluid level. This has to be done with the car running and at operating temperature. It's probably at least a half liter low, if not more, to slip when cornering.

Other than that, it looks to be pretty well-maintained. That it has such a small amount of rust is the most amazing part.
                        Thanks for the tip I have checked the fluid level and all seems well however i will check under the car at the bolts and make sure everything is snug: What is everyone's opinion on transmission service? The previous owner basically had the fluid changed yearly based on the records I have.
                        Past

Comment

Originally posted by eastmanblues View Post
                          I may have a marker for you I will have a look, I also have a bunch of stock rims from my previous let me know if you need anything as well as alternator and fuel fillers
                          Thanks for the help, I am in no need of extra tires or rims at this point as she will not be a daily driver for me at this point. The fuel door would be nice to fix as well hate having it just flying around back there let me know about the marker.
                          Past

Comment

Originally posted by thesam1984 View Post
                            What do you mean by PO kept her oiled to keep the road salt of her. I would be curious to know. Also my car has a funny quirk when pumping gas. If the nozzle is seated all the way in the pump kicks off every couple dollars... I have to position it out slightly to not make it click off and then I run the risk of gas spilling out
                            Hi thesam1984 check up Krown rust proofing not sure if they are in the US. Should give you a good idea with what i mean. Not sure if PO used Krown but it basically keeps the metal on the car covered so that it cannot oxidize.
                            Past

Comment

Originally posted by thesam1984 View Post
                              It means we take our cars in and have the underneath and the insides of the body sprayed with oil so it does not rust with a combo of salt and water
                              1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham 2.8
                              1993 Chevrolet Carprice Classic LS 5.0L 350
                              1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3L 4 speed Auto with Console Shifter (The Grey Grisley) RIP
                              1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass SL 3.1L 4 Speed (Gave away I am sure it wishes it could die)
                              1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate
                              1995 Buick Century Wagon Rest In Pieces
                              1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3L 4 speed Automatic (The Silver Bullet) Rust in Pieces

Comment

Working...
                              X