No announcement yet.

The roadtrip Oldsmobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you considered buying a chip programmer? Then you can experiment with all sorts of settings in the program. If you're writing Arduino code you should not have trouble learning it.

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

I'm sorry to have been so unclear David!
      To get the facts straight: I do have the LN3 wiring harness and the LN3 ECM, I do, however, not seem to have the part of the wiring harness that goes to the transmission.
      I only have whatever is attached to the engine, ending up in one big black connector that goes into the ECM. From the old LG3 wiring harness, I have two connectors/wiring harnesses, one of which goes to the engine.
      This means I seem to miss one connector/wiring harness. I am guessing this is supposed to go to the transmission, which is, as you explained, quite a bit more electronically advanced than the LG3 transmission.
      Thanks again for your quick reaction and great knowledge!
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera "Lady Liberty" - Under (slow) progress LG3 to LN3 3.8 V6.
      1979 MG MGB Roadster - Running like a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Papadopoulos View Post
        I'm sorry to have been so unclear David!
        To get the facts straight: I do have the LN3 wiring harness and the LN3 ECM, I do, however, not seem to have the part of the wiring harness that goes to the transmission.
        I only have whatever is attached to the engine, ending up in one big black connector that goes into the ECM. From the old LG3 wiring harness, I have two connectors/wiring harnesses, one of which goes to the engine.
        This means I seem to miss one connector/wiring harness. I am guessing this is supposed to go to the transmission, which is, as you explained, quite a bit more electronically advanced than the LG3 transmission.
        Thanks again for your quick reaction and great knowledge!
        No problem, I don't mind sharing the knowledge.

Tomorrow I will be working on my mom's car with factory-installed LN3 3800. I will take some detailed pictures of the wiring under the hood and try to see where the transmission harness branches out of the engine harness.

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

That would be great! I'm very curious where that third connector is for.
          Thank you very much.
          1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera "Lady Liberty" - Under (slow) progress LG3 to LN3 3.8 V6.

Comment

Check this video out. It's for you and your Road Trip Olds crew!

The video is still processing with You Tube, so if it doesn't load, try again in a few minutes.

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

David, thank you so much for that very informational video!
              Yesterday I freed the old wiring loom from the car and if we manage to get the drive shafts off, we will lift the old engine from the car today.
              If we succeed at doing that, we'll start figuring out how we are going to manage with the wiring, since there seem to be quite some differences in connectors so some manufacturing and soldering will probably be required.

Comment

The final headache:
                Solving this spaghetti like mess of wires from the old and the new wiring loom. The worst is the huge difference between the connector for the dashboard wiring loom (for warning lights, tachometer, oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge, A/C even I think). The white one from the old loom vs. the big black one from the new loom. The good thing is, if I can figure it out I can make it all work!
                Wiring loom pictures

Comment

I recognize that! I had to unbolt that connector from the inside of the firewall when I replaced my turn signal /wiper switch. It was "fun" to figure out. Unfortunately it was totally necessary! ( what I really needed was a pulse-board for the wiper)

Ken T.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! I am glad the video helped you.

Looking at the pictures you posted; I may be able to get a print for the large square LN3 plug.
                    I will try to locate a pin-out diagram of this connection and post it. It may take a day or two....

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

That'd be great David!

Comment

Working...
                      X