Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone please shoot me....in the face. Put me out of my misery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone please shoot me....in the face. Put me out of my misery.

Ok I thought I was the cats meow when, with the help of the fine members of this forum and some good people at auto zone, I was able to do a head gasket and intake manifold job by myself, and actually fixed the problem. The check engine light even came back on, the warm fuzzies! It had a miss, but only sometimes. Every other trip, or every other other trip, and every now and then would stall but not often and bad enough for me to worry about it since I live 20 miles from town. Well the other day I was at auto zone and had them put the scanner on it. random misfires. But the poor quality of their tools didn't go any further. he suggested that I check a plug to see what they looked like, and even though I changed the plugs and wires a couple weeks before the head job, I pulled one right there in the parking lot. When I went to break it loose to my surprise it was tight at all. I could have turned the extension by hand. Well to get this over without a small novel, the plug looked fine. He reset the check engine light. I made 3 more stops in town and the light came back on. ran back to the zone and the scanner said crankshaft sensor. Though the missing was completely gone. Until the next day when I checked the back three plugs. I got the car about 12 miles up the road and then it started bucking, stalling to the point it was draining the battery just trying to keep it started. Erratic throttle it was a very strange ride directly back to the house, but of course it dies on the dirt road still a quarter mile from the house. I checked the coil packs with the small vacuum hose in between the plug wire boot and the coil tower, and a test light. The rpms dropped with each node on a 3 packs so that says that the cylinders are good, getting fuel and spark (obviously) Oh it starts and runs with the mild miss intil it gets hot. My friend had a shop and a snap on scanner but he is an hour and 15 minutes away and there is no way in hell this thing will make it farther 5 maybe 10 minutes down the road. He said check the purple and yellow 2 wire connector that goes from the control module to the csps and of the wire is is then change the crankshaft sensor. Well I was under the car and saw what I thought was the other end of the wire, same 2 wire (purple/yellow) connector so I removed the connector but something was still stopping me from being able to pull the harness out. On second look under the car I saw another identical connector and realized that this was indeed the csps because it was on the block. I was able to remove the connector from the sersor with a long screw driver, then realized I would probably have better luck dry shaving a grizzly bear in phone booth getting it reconnected let alone be able to remove the old sensor and put a new one on. I think the first connector that I removed came from what appeared to be some rack and pinion thingy which I can easily get to, But why are there 2 identical connectors that plug into identical (thingy s) and to boot the both plugs and wires (yes purple/yellow) go through a harness ring/ clip and on the other end is the connector for the control module, yet it still wont come out because part of the wiring harness heads under exhaust cross over towards the drivers side, maybe to a big wiring harness. In any case the wires are in terrible shape with burned spots and bare copper showing in places obviously due to the extreme heat and the fact there is no longer a plastic wire cover on it and from the looks of it it hasn't had one in many moons. My manual has no mention of the crankshaft position sensor let alone pictures probably because its a 96 olds 3.1 and thats the last year for the book. AZ printed out instructions but they say to remove the pulleys/ harmonic balancer but the csps I am looking is about dead center on the block in between the block and the firewall or something. I could see it but could not touch it with my hands or fingers. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have been toying with the old gas soaked rag hanging out of the tank and a match, a bag of marshmallows and some lawn chairs. This car has made me age more than the president of the USA in just the past few months.

There are two plastic clips that run the wire all the way up to the ignition control module two are near the rear exhaust manifold the third I recall is near the coolant hoses near the rear head of the 3100 .. there was a issue with that wire for 3100 and 3400 gm v6 where the wire gets rubbed on the hot exhaust and bare wire exposed best advice with passenger tire off to follow the wire from the csps and u will find the black clips along the way if it was arching chances are the sensor shorted out . Been there with my 95 3100 century along the side of the road with electrical tape and putting it back together till I went to the junk yard and found another .keep in mind all 1994 -2002 3100 m motors share the same wire as long as the 3400 v6 . Mine 1995 century has a 2003 chevy impala 3400 csps wire now send me a inbox message

Comment

Tokyo ur in Lakeland Florida right I forget where lol I'm in west palm florids

Comment

The funny thing is this thing fire right up and runs like a champ till she heats up then all hell breaks loose. I was barley able to get both connectors apart from their sockets. one was on the rear block about midways, the other was closer to the passenger wheel and it looked like it was on the back side of the axle assemble, that why I figured it might be the rack and pinion thingy because it definitely was NOT the block. Nothing here in Polk City but green swamp, killer mosquitoes and orange groves. Seems like a million miles from anywhere when the ride is dead. Hell we are really closer to Orlando than Tampa though. Thanks again Keiths gonna jack up the other side and remove the passenger wheel as you've instructed. Talk to you soon friend!

Comment

Anytime u take the passenger tire off u can see the csps and the connector it's a arm reach but u can see with a light where it runs and where the two clips are they might have broke off from old age if the wire is really badly damage u might have to go to the junk yard ask budget wreckers over on rt60 if they have a wire for the years of the 3100 till 2003 and get a spare cause as the block arms up and the wires are exposed that might be causing a arch . If that's not it the coils might be the culprit or ignition control module as it heats up on top of t
          he rear block

Comment

Ok thanks for the advise. I had one hell of a time disconnecting the csps connector, its twin connector not so much, and as far as the black corrugated heat shield, well there was a few small bits and pieces of it left, so mostly just bare twisted wires that were so old I woulnd never be able to tell what color they used to be. I was able to pop the rings loose with a long pry bar type tool. Do you know what the other connector is that has the same yellow and purple wire, the exact same connector, and even plugs into something that resembles the csps except for the location, it appeared to be on a round steel canister/drum type deal that is connected to the axle boot thingy. I am gonna take a few pictures when I get my ass outside, which will be in a few minutes..

Comment

Thats the transaxle thingy plug that looks just like the csps, same color wires and everything. My dad figured out you can reach the csps from the top going under the and behind the alternator, Working blindly of course. Either that or you can just look at it from underneath but can never, EVER reach it especially when you were blessed with friggin popeye arms like me. argg. Now I have to either fish the connector for the "not csps" thing back down th,rough the same place that destroyed it in the first place or I can make a new wire and run it over the top and back down to its spot. Thinking about making a new wire for the csps connector and doing the same thing. Gonna check on prices for me wire harness etc. And pray for patience. Also here is a picture of what I think is the csps, which I cant see with the pass tire off because the is way too much stuff in the way. Maybe I will just pull the motor. WOW wish I would have thought of that first.

and here is another picture of something that was in the way

Comment

I believe that's the transmission sensor I saw that and it was part of the transmission .. holy .......(beep) snake lol snake -0 you -1 lol yea I'm built tall and skinny as arm wise . You could make it with wire and all but heat shrink it good and electrical tape and put that wire plastic loom over it to protect it .well there my friend is the problem of cutting out back firing and stalling now picture me and my family on 95 pulled off the shoulder and I'm under the car fixing the dang thing ugh.. funny story I was near your neck of the woods on I 4 heading to tampa and blew a power steering line another side of the road fixing trying to lean over the hood and replacing the high side of the power steering pump with no room for my hands to get at 2 hours later and t hanks to a advance auto parts guy to make a desperate run to me with part and fluid got a nice tip from me

Comment

Vehicle speed sensor I believe it is

Comment

Yeah that's the best kind of snake that's for sure! Wow I can't imagine having the family in the car and breaking down a million mikes from home. As soon as I fix this pro lem and get 2 more new tires me and the wife are moving to York South Carolina. Living in the boonies is not for everyone. I made my new wire and its long enough to route oover the too of the engine and then down behind the alternator. I will be covering it with the black corrugated protector wrapped in aluminum heat tape too. Will keep you posted. Thought I would have heard from George Duke. But I guess he's busy. Next project is refluxing the gfx card on my wife's HP dv 9000 laptop. I would rather do those all day than to even flush out my coolant system again. Apparently HP designed this laptop similar to gm in that they have one little copper heat pipe that lays over the gfx card and the processor. Class action lawsuit on them for that. Well it been over a week with no real cigarettes. Just my e-cig and liquid nicotine. I guess vapor is better than smoke. Little steps. I am proud that I haven't. Broke down and got a pack of smokes all car problems considered. If you want to keep in touch pm me and I will give you my email address and phone number. If you don't k ow how to fix your computer I can help. I used to work I tech support. Its the least I could do for you buddy. Thanks and I should have the new connector hooked up and ready for a test drive sometime tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Congrats on the no cigs man really proud of ya it a hard thing to kick . I guess me a coffee should cut down soon lol but not yet lol . Hp had one laptop it broke got a Dell and been happy so far with it but for sure love to keep in contact my friend. Can't wait to hear how the car is doing, there awesome cars with some love and care they will go that extra mile for u . I have rebuilt my 95 century most from the ground up it was my wife's grandparents care we got it 8 years ago with 60 k on it and the intake gaskets were shot when I redid them they didn't have the updated ones so I repaired them not might have to do them again in a few weeks .

Comment

Try to add me as a friend cause apparently it's not working at my end but would love to stay in touch and exchange information here from u soon

Comment

yeah i just founf the spot where I added you as a friend and I sent you a PM with my number. I am heading to the parts store now to get the csps but i need a call to make sure I get the right one. is it the csps or the csp angle sensor. I only know what the piece sticking out of the block looks like with the connector on it. cuz I havent taken it out.

Comment

Working...
                          X