Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cody1234
    replied
    Mine.. My first setup was flawed. I just put a lawnmower fuel tank on top of the metal line into the manifold. Well. The hood didnt agree with that. So. I am making a line to a pump and having an electric oil pump do that.. My roadmaster doesnt like oil being pumped in while its off. The valves are right where the smog lines are. Idk if it tries to lock up the motor or what.. Took 6 trys to start. And if that big starter has problems then something is happening.. But boy that thing can smoke. There was a car behind me. I hit the gas. And i couldnt see him through the smoke

Leave a comment:

• turbokinetic
    replied
    Originally posted by cody1234 View Post
    Lets just say my exhaust needed replaced as well......my smog pump as an oil pump and make some smoke clouds. I had a whole pile of smoke rolling down the road ....

LOL! I always wanted to make a smoke device!

I have seen some modifications to the washer fluid reservoir where they filled it with transmission oil and rigged it to pump into the exhaust manifold. LOL

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    Would be nice if they made an am fm stereo with cassette and cd. That can play mp3 cds. With aux and usb drive inputs. And maybe have the display panel flip down for a hidden 8 track slot
    With weatherband service. And 40 channel cb radio.. .. But staying the same size as a delco radio.

While at the same time. Having the cassette heads the same non moving heads as the auto reverse decks. And making an 8 track head that has no moving parts. All 8 tracks having its own part of the head. Eliminating bulky mechanicals. And not needing adjustment.. And it would be cool for the 8 track to use a direct drive motor setup. No belts. And a speed control.
    Last edited by cody1234; 12-16-2015, 04:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    It dont always do that but sometimes it does

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    Lets just say my exhaust needed replaced as well. I want to get a straight glasspack or something that can stand the backfire those regular mufflers like flying off or blowing holes out the side once they rot.. . .. And using my smog pump as an oil pump and make some smoke clouds. I had a whole pile of smoke rolling down the road and i pulled up to a gas station and a bunch of younger honda people were there and i ahut the car off and it deiseled real bad and BLAM. I heard one guy say that must be uncle bucks car.. Then when i left i floored it out the road. It sputtered then took off. Leaving a massive smoke cloud . I am suprized i never got pulled over for that

Leave a comment:

• turbokinetic
    replied
    LOL!

I had a bad ignition coil on my 72 Chevy Nova, that would cut out whenever it felt like it. One morning I was trying to start the car, and it made a WHOPPING HUGE BACKFIRE that blew the muffler clean off the car! There was a bare spot in the gravel driveway where all the gravel was blown away by the explosion.

I have to say this was when I just got the car and it wasn't in good shape. The muffler was very rusted already and the pipe wasn't good either.

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    The plus side is doing that you have one built up backfire thats loud vs. 8 million pops and small bangs... But fireball backfires are fun. Guy behind me slammed on the brakes

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    Ok. Well that valve is not connected.. Originally it made no difference. Because it doesnt build a real good vacuum. I was getting like. 14 psi before. I haven't tested since i fixed the carb and egr.. But i noticed it would just pop and close on and off high vacuum and open that makes vacuum lower and closes.. So. Instead of pop pop pop pop. It was more.. Pop.... Pop..... Pop...... Pop ... Pop.. But still there.. I was thinking about having a valve to manually open from inside the car and keep a large vacuum leak while coasting.. Maybe get an extra 1 mpg as well.. Or like i did with fuel injection.. Shut the key off. On fuel injection would cut the fuel 100%. Turn on and continue driving. But on carburetor car.. It keeps sucking fuel.. Then.. Key... BANG.. Fireball out the muffler. ... Oops..

Leave a comment:

• turbokinetic
    replied
    I had luck i guess with those rubbers. It was a 1988 celebrity it looked like almost showroom quality compared to the other junkers there.. Shame that it is there being stripped and crushed.. I would trade mine for it. But i like my old carburetor celebrity.. If it was a fully loaded 1982 with the 8 track radio and cl package that looked that good i would trade straight up.

On another note i finally got new brake pads. And 2 tires i needed. And she starts right up now in the cold. So she is ready for winter. ... Again.. Now if it would quit backfiring that would be great.. Going down hill in 3rd. Doing 60 pop pop pop bang bang bang bang pop pop bang the whole way. When it idled at 1200 it didnt do it but it sucked up gas more. Got it at around 600 now. Other than that it runs really good now. Probably better than ever since i installed the rebuilt carb and egr and new gaskets on both. Didnt hurt the fuel milage much either.. Still around 23-25. And it still shows very lean but it runs better so oh well. Idk if the guage is retarded or the sensor or something that it always shows lean except when flooring it. Even if the choke is shut its lean. Not very lean but leaner than it was with the other carb before the last carb. . Even with a vacuum leak it would be ok. But now 1 vacuum leak and its almost impossible to start. I forgot 1 hose and it wouldnt start. .
    Yeah some carbs are leaner than others. What sort of air/ fuel gauge are you using? If it is a "narrowband" gauge (such as one using a one-wire oxygen sensor) then it will probably read either "full lean" or "full rich" because the sensing range is so narrow. That is not a bad thing, it's just telling you which side of stoich you are on.

Highway tuned systems operate at 15 or 16 AFR under cruise, and 11 or 12 AFR at wide-open. The "narrowband" gauge will read "lean" under cruise conditions and it will read "rich" under WOT. Nothing wrong at all.

The backfiring is annoying I'm sure. If I am not mistaken, there was a vacuum valve of some sort that would activate at very high vacuum conditions (decelerating) and cause an extremely lean condition (basically a fuel cut) to prevent the backfiring. That's one of the things the ECM takes care of on the EFI systems.

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    I had luck i guess with those rubbers. It was a 1988 celebrity it looked like almost showroom quality compared to the other junkers there.. Shame that it is there being stripped and crushed.. I would trade mine for it. But i like my old carburetor celebrity.. If it was a fully loaded 1982 with the 8 track radio and cl package that looked that good i would trade straight up.

On another note i finally got new brake pads. And 2 tires i needed. And she starts right up now in the cold. So she is ready for winter. ... Again.. Now if it would quit backfiring that would be great.. Going down hill in 3rd. Doing 60 pop pop pop bang bang bang bang pop pop bang the whole way. When it idled at 1200 it didnt do it but it sucked up gas more. Got it at around 600 now. Other than that it runs really good now. Probably better than ever since i installed the rebuilt carb and egr and new gaskets on both. Didnt hurt the fuel milage much either.. Still around 23-25. And it still shows very lean but it runs better so oh well. Idk if the guage is retarded or the sensor or something that it always shows lean except when flooring it. Even if the choke is shut its lean. Not very lean but leaner than it was with the other carb before the last carb. . Even with a vacuum leak it would be ok. But now 1 vacuum leak and its almost impossible to start. I forgot 1 hose and it wouldnt start. .

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    I found a 1988 celebrity at the you pull yard and I pulled the rubber out of the doors. It was like new. The whom car was like new. If I had more money I would have stripped it to almost nothing

Leave a comment:

• turbokinetic
    replied
    Just put new rubbers around the windows. Wow what a difference. That high speed hissing and whistling was annoying. I can actually hear myself think now. Replaced yet another fuel filter.. Good to go. Only $2 so no problem to me
    Hi Cody; can you detail the window rubber install? This is something I've got to do on my cars and I am having trouble building confidence that I have located the correct materials.

Leave a comment:

• SexySilhouette
    replied
    I had a carbed 2.8 1986 Century wagon with the 440t4.

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    Just put new rubbers around the windows. Wow what a difference. That high speed hissing and whistling was annoying. I can actually hear myself think now. Replaced yet another fuel filter.. Good to go. Only $2 so no problem to me

Leave a comment:

• cody1234
    replied
    I would rather go stick but a auto would just fit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X