No announcement yet.

Daniel probably bought a basket case!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man that sucks . Well depending on cash and what u wanna do with her find a 3400 v6 or Buick engine .

Comment

I'm debating whether I want to get a stock replacement and do a big port swap or get a 3.5. I can get either an L82 or an LX9 locally for about the same price.
      Daniel
      Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
      Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
      Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

I'd go with lx9 only thing is additional cost of the ignition trigger on the crankshaft miltzy has them not to bad . Since you're being a 96 u have some wiggle room and update your pcm since obd2 u have the connectors . I hear the 1997-8-9 Monte Carlo 3100 is a programmable Pcm with the 4t60-e tranny so u can swap the lx9 in .

Comment

Daniel
          Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
          Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke George V View Post

Yes. I would like to know more.... I would like to know who walks around a loosely palletized engine, in bare feet. Think how flat-footed they would be if that engine toppled over.....

Seriously, yeah what size engine is it? I'm not an expert on these - but I am guessing a 3400 or 3500....

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

David gm 2005-07 lx9 3.5 v6 the bigger brother to the 2.8 3.1 3100 3400 . Last before it went vvt and all computerized . Basically a bored out 3400 with better stuff inside . Should work great to the 94-96 cars some say it can run on obd1 with some tunning but max out to its fully potent ion with a obd2 software and usage of the bigger injectors from the 3400 motor . I read up on it on grand am forums 210 hp -225 torque around there some say more or less . But I do know a thumper cam works amazing with this motor . Buddy has a 2007 impala with this motor and done a lot to it and she moves well . Daniel I know it will move your car great . Only thing she likes to be rev happy be cautious with the 4t60 on high rpm shifts and pushing the tyranny pump that high . Ever grand am that did all the work blew them not long after from hard wot shifts etc . Hope all this helps guys the 94/95 cars obd1 computer can run the bigger 2000-2005 3100 injectors nicely I think there 22lbs can't remember at this second I know mine is 19lbs . So would have to hard wire the new style in on mine and then see if David want to tune mine if I get to that stage lol .

Comment

Keith got most of it. It is an LX9 "3500", which is a 3.5L variant of the 60 degree Chevy V6. This particular one came from a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu, with 116k miles according to LKQ. This 3.5, unlike the later ones, is based on the 3.4L "3400" LA1, with updated head and intake designs, and gaskets that won't fail like the earlier Chevy engines. The later 3.5s are a smaller displacement version of the 3.9L, so they have variable valve timing and E85 capability, which are very difficult to make work in older cars.

This engine is not really plug-and-play. I have had to order the 3500 swap kit and 1997 PCM from Milzy Motorsports. Mike spent almost two hours on the phone with me, ironing out all the details of this swap, making sure the computer would be programmed how I wanted it, doing up a custom throttle body, and all that. He also said that, if there were interest in the A-body community, he might put together a swap kit specifically for A-bodies, using my car as the prototype!

Particulars of swapping this engine into my car, in no particular order:
                • I will not be using the LX9 upper intake. It is wholly incompatible with my car. It lacks three vacuum nipples I need, for the HVAC, MAP sensor, and vacuum modulator for the transmission. I will be using an LG8 "3100" upper, which is what Oklahoma used in his top end swap.
                • Since I'm not using the 3500 upper, I will not be using three parts from the swap kit: throttle body adapter, coil pack adapters, and MAP adapter pigtail.
                • I'm also using an LG8 front valve cover I got from a yard off of a Malibu, which has a GM Goodwrench crate motor sticker on it proclaiming it to be a 3.1L.
                • I will have to use my stock exhaust, since the downpipe is routed differently than any other car/engine.
                • The throttle body will be from an LA1, modified by Mike to (hopefully) be plug-and-play with my stock cables.
                • I will be using my stock fuel rail with 24 pound ACCEL injectors that are the same "fat" design as my stock injectors. The newer "thin" injectors have different connectors, and they are too tall to fit under my stock rail.

I'm sure more will come up once I yank the stock engine and start transferring over parts. Look for that in the coming days.
                Daniel

Comment

Nice Daniel yea I would go that route u could grab a 3400 uim off a grand am just cause the opening for the throttle body is slightly wider and ports are better designed but the 3100 lg8 is just as good . Down the road if u want to upgrade the uim u can try the throttle plate adapter for the Oldsmobile 3.5 short star and use there throttle body giver her more volume to breath . He should Mike is great at all this i have had my share taking to him on different ways I wanted to go just need cash . They say u can drill and add port nipped to the 3500 uim but I wouldnt not worth it if it cracks from stress . 2000 uim 3100 or 3400 in honestly flows the same just the 3400 off the grand am has a different neck and slightly larger opening for the throttle body but flows the same for the intake . I can wait to see how she comes together. While she's out now the time to see if u want to add a cam to her since I recall they use the same hollow cam for 3100-3500 . Granted they fixed all the issues with the 3500 motor as leaks go make sure u get a lot of pictures hehe thanks Keith

Comment

I definitely could have spent some serious money on this swap. I wanted to, in fact. But it's more out of necessity than anything at this point, so I don't have the additional $4000 or so to buy the go-faster bits I wanted, like heads, intake and cam. It's just not in the budget. I think, as it sits, it will be enough of an upgrade over stock to keep me satisfied for some time.
                    Daniel

Comment

Oh I so agree my friend u will love the torque of it vs the l82 motor but best part of all u can do it if u want down the road

Comment

I have removed parts from my new engine that I won't be using or aren't compatible with my car, like the upper intake, exhaust manifolds, EGR valve, fuel rail, idler pulley that's in the way of my power steering pump, the heater pipe that runs across the valve cover, and the like. Most of these parts will be offered for sale at a later date, if anyone is interested. I also test-fitted a 3400 upper I had laying around, and was satisfied with the result.

Parts unrelated to the engine swap are starting to trickle in. As we know through the efforts of some pioneering folk on this board, the '96 and older U-body vans share most suspension components with my car, so I ordered bare van struts, variable-rate car springs, car mounts, and car spring seats. Also on the way are new bushings for the van sway bar I already have installed. New KYB Gas-A-Just shocks will round out the rear. When I need to haul or tow, I have some Monroe Load Assist shocks, which have a 25 lb helper spring. At some later time, I will also replace the rear springs with variable-rate springs, and see about control arm bushings for the front, as the budget will allow.
                        Daniel

Comment

Thanks for the continued info on the build! I am sure it'll be a great upgrade from the 3100 - reliability, power etc. will be better!

Hopefully Mike Milzy will see it worth his time to make an a-body 3500 swap kit. I hope our members here show him support and our cars end up with some more easily available upgrade options like this.

If you end up with a transmission pump failure due to the higher RPM powerband of this engine, I have been building a hybrid 440T4 / 4T65E transmission. I have a feeling the pump bearing and rotor upgrade used in my build would be applicable to your 4T60E transmission.

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

See David we need all come by your house with parts and need to have your time to customize our cars transmissions . I got food and beer and time lmao

Comment

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
                              If you end up with a transmission pump failure due to the higher RPM powerband of this engine, I have been building a hybrid 440T4 / 4T65E transmission. I have a feeling the pump bearing and rotor upgrade used in my build would be applicable to your 4T60E transmission.
                              I am very interested in that. I have a feeling this transmission probably won't last too long, considering it came from a junkyard and went straight into my car without touching the internals. Would you PM or e-mail me (leftventricle at gmail dot com) so we can talk about that in detail?
                              Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Duke George V View Post
                                I am very interested in that. I have a feeling this transmission probably won't last too long, considering it came from a junkyard and went straight into my car without touching the internals. Would you PM or e-mail me (leftventricle at gmail dot com) so we can talk about that in detail?
                                This may give you some details!

EDIT: I forgot to mention in the video, but the rotors are "selective." This means that there are several slightly thicker or thinner sizes. You measure the pump and match them up to get the correct running clearances. I was lucky that the original 440 and the donor 4T65E had the same thickness rotors. Else I would have had to sort through more rotors, or modify a thicker rotor to be the desired size.
                                Last edited by turbokinetic; 02-24-2016, 03:21 PM.

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X