No announcement yet.

Assorted ramblings and bolt-ons with Daniel and George

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to repair the speed sensor (from the transaxle) wiring on our '96 in 2017. We had gotten a lone ABS code one time. I was shocked at how much of the twisted pair to the speed sensor was melted and fused together. There was some other melted wiring damage too, IIRC. It was still all clipped to the the back of the oil pan. I had to unclip and pull the small harness out on the driver's side to repair it. This isn't the best picture, and it almost looks like it was chewed, but it wasn't. I am amazed it was actually working.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Speed Sensor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	105688
    Last edited by CorvairGeek; 03-02-2022, 03:42 PM.
    Jerry

Comment

That looks more like the crank position sensor wire. I don't believe the VSS is a twisted pair.
      Originally posted by Duke George V View Post
      Daniel
      Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
      Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
      Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

I think you may be correct. It has been a while ago and I do believe I had to repair both (VSS & CPS). I wondered why the area had been so hot. We bought the car new and nothing odd or unusual has ever happened to it.
        Jerry

Comment

My 89s have yellow and purple wires for the crank sensor. But also a solid bare metal wire and a foil jacket. I took an old harness and made it into a test cable.
          1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
          1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
          1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
          1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
          Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Comment

Cruise cable and module from a 2001 Aurora. This will fit the big throttle body.
            Daniel
            Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 227k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
            Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
            Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. No longer with us.

Comment

Working...
            X