Leather Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather Seats

How rare are leather seats. I wish they were not red.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1461198736.html

They are really leather (or vinyl) she me pics.

Available in the "limited leather" option as the salesman told me when I bought mine new. I'v never seen leather in any Century except a Limited.

Got mine in light blue.

Ken T.

Comment

I have only seen Cieras with leather myself, and it feels real to me
      "Pontiac, Of Course"
      1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
      1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
      1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
      1991 Audi 200 Auto
      1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by c0ugar1969 View Post
        How rare are leather seats. I wish they were not red.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1461198736.html

They are really leather (or vinyl) she me pics.

The ad was deleted. But,some A-bodies did come with real leather seats. It is not the most quality leather you are gonna find (thin),but leather none the less.

I believe they were technically called "leather with vinyl insert" by GM because the whole seat is not leather. ....only the seating surface. Not the back or maybe not the sides.

I've mostly seen them in Internationals. But,I saw some tan ones in a loaded '90s Century and various colors in Cieras.
        Never have I seen leather seats in a Celebrity*,and believe leather was not an option.

*The Eurosport VR's in '87 had black leather as part of the seats.

The best leather I've had in cars was:

1) My '75 Chrysler Imperial. "Corinthian Leather"..sez Ricardo Montelban. Thick leather that wore well.
        2) My '89 BMW 735I. Tight,black leather that showed no age.

My A-bodies survived both of those cars,btw.

Comment

I like the Wbody Leather seats in High model Grand Prixs and Cutlass Supremes, the AQ9 seats, there the most comfy buckets every made, soooo many adjustments and they look freakin cool
          My TGP

"Pontiac, Of Course"
          1991 Audi 200 Auto
          1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

On a side note, Can I put leather seats from a w or j body in my century?
            It's not impossible, it just costs more.

Comment

Well, yes. you may end up swapping the tracks from your original seats to the other set, or may end up fabbing some kinds of adapters for the mounts, but thell physicly fit
              "Pontiac, Of Course"
              1991 Audi 200 Auto
              1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by High Mileage View Post
                *The Eurosport VR's in '87 had black leather as part of the seats.
                Yes, although it was a very small part. As in, the very small section where the back of your knees rest. The rest was gray cloth and black vinyl.
                -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
                '86 Eurosport sedan
                '88 Eurosport VR coupe
                '89 Eurosport wagon

Comment

One issue you might run into is when swapping into an '89-up A-body is the lower part of the door panel. The panel is much thicker due to the seat belt mechanism.

I ran into this issue when installing a "skinny bucket" passengers side power seat mechanism from an '88 STE into one of my '90 Ciera's. The power seat switch hit the door panel. I had to fabricate an adapter to move the seat inwards about an inch.

Comment

Umm, my 89 has the seat belts in the pillar, not the door, so that wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't do the leather option anyways, I have two little kids. I'm really looking for some power cloth seats like I had in my 91 Park Ave, or my 89 Bonneville. I had Leather in my 93 Mark VIII, and my kids tore them up. Son had some toy in it, and it somehow got drug across the seat and tore it.
                    It's not impossible, it just costs more.

Comment

The 6000 STE could come with pig-skin suede leather as an option, and a I remember, the seats came with their own leather care cleaning products. Kristopher

Comment

Originally posted by Kristopher Gerbracht View Post
                        The 6000 STE could come with pig-skin suede leather as an option, and a I remember, the seats came with their own leather care cleaning products. Kristopher
                        Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but you are correct. Unlike most of the A-body leather options, all of the primary seating surfaces were covered in the pigskin, including the headrests, seat sides, etc. Only the backs of the front seat were not. They were done in cloth.

My parents had an '85 STE (last of the 6 headlight versions) with these seats and I loved that you'd never slide around on them when cornering. Plus, they were really quite stain and dirt resistant (at least versus the cloth of the period) and they were never too hot or too cold to the touch. Sad this material's not used more frequently.

Comment

To Malthus:

Did your parents car come with the cleaning kit?

Comment

Working...
                          X