1987 Buick Century no start condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Buick Century no start condition

Hello! I'm a new member here and I had a question regarding my new to me 1987 Buick century with the LG 3 3.8 V6. I drove the car yesterday and it ran just fine I stopped at a store to pick something up on my way home from work, and when I returned to the car it just cranked but no start. I checked to make sure that I had fuel pressure and spark. Coil pack on one end was really hot to the touch and was leaking black goo. I changed out the coil pack and now the car will occasionally start, but it runs really rough and dies if I try to put in gear. I was going to throw a crank sensor at it, but before I do that I was hoping to get any help possible from anyone who knows this car better than I do.
    I just ran a compression test on one cylinder thinking I may have jumped time and pressure was good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have the Panasonic ICM/Coil pack? Is it just one big unit?
    Or
    Do you have the 3 individual coil packs, and a single ICM on the bottom of those 3 coils?

Did you get a check engine light? Could be a couple things, but I would start with the check engine light
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Comment

Check engine light never came on.

Yes, it is the Panasonic ignition pack. I changed it out after testing and still no go.

I put in a new crank position sensor and now it runs, but I think I have a rich condition or stuck injector. Catalytic converter gets red hot after about 15-20 minutes at idle and there is no rattling in the converter if I move it around when car is not running.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
      X