Wind Noise and weatherstriping replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind Noise and weatherstriping replacement

I have a 94 Ciera Sedan that has excessive wind noise while driving on the interstate. I can see the rubber which seals the rain from running down the glass into the doors is badly cracked and hard as a rock and I find I must frequently check that the window is really up snug to minimize the noise. So I assume the molding in the door's glass channel is worn and loose. What's involved in replacing the sections that I've mentioned? I see a number of styles listed on JC Whitney's website and they reviews indicate a good install is easy. Would this job take longer than a six-pack?

you would just end up pulling the door panel and undo the 2 bolts holding the window to the regulator and pull out the old stripping, if your doing all 4 doors, yes, more than a 6 pack id say.
    "Pontiac, Of Course"
    1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
    1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
    1991 Audi 200 Auto
    1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

I can't beleive those things cost $72 dollars...
      2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indy

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0V8

Comment

Yea, the price seems high but where else can you find it other than the dealer?
        Looks like I'll need a 12 pack of beer and $72 worth of parts! Thanks for the input.

Comment

How about finding a different place first :\

Comment

Please post some pictures for us when you finish. I certainly need to do this too!
            -Mitch
            What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Comment

Is there some special name for this stuff? Perhaps a home improvement store might sell a universal kind? $71 for this sounds way too ridiculous.

Comment

its the Fuzzy window track hes talkin about, its very specific and molded to the car window.
                "Pontiac, Of Course"
                1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
                1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
                1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
                1991 Audi 200 Auto
                1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Comment

Window sweep was the word I was looking for.

You can' tell me that there's no bulk window sweeps sold anywhere...
                  Last edited by Tonglebeak; 12-28-2008, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I could use this too...............the driver's side window sweep is cracking and breaking off where I rest my arm

I also need to do the doors too, the driver's side in the upper right hand corner has an inch missing, and all the rain runs down it into the interior, kind of looks like the rubber shrank

Comment

Might have some luck with this:

http://www.topsdown.com/home.php?cat=29

Comment

It would be interesting if someone had access to one from a JY, take some measurements, and post them. My understanding from GM the chrome piece on the window is sold with the dew wipe. $172 I was quoted for the passenger front.

Crazy...

That's just one door. Driver side front, is no longer available.

Ken T.

Comment

Are you sure it's part of the chrome piece? I would think that there should be a way to separate the two if so and replace the sweep with bulk material.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonglebeak View Post
                            Are you sure it's part of the chrome piece? I would think that there should be a way to separate the two if so and replace the sweep with bulk material.
                            Tongle, double-check that site that you posted - the bulk supply of window sweeps INCLUDE the chrome strip, if I read it correctly. I don't know how that would work for applications that have a curve to the top of the door, or for applications like ours that have a wide band across the top of the door like on the outside of the A-bodies.
                            http://www.screech.ws/
                            01 Chev 2500HD (4x4), Vortec 8100, 496ci BBC, 3.73 gears, CCSB
                            98 Chev K2500 (4x4), Vortec 350, 4.10 gearing, ECLB 155.5" WB
                            98 Chev C2500 (2wd), Vortec 350 w/SFI kit, 3.73 gears, ECLB 155.5" WB
                            89 Olds Cutlass Ciera W45 Int'l Coupe
                            76 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham BBC
                            95 Pontiac Trans Sport SE (US Model), 3800HO
                            92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT
                            92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, S1 3800SC L67 - R.I.P. 2010-09-09

Comment

There's different styles there.

Comment

Working...
                              X