Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THM 125C Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There might be another car out there, like a Grand Am or something, where you might need to support the engine. But not with A-Bodys, or Fieros.

This link should be more useful than the one you looked at..

http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/TCC.htm
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Comment

Well I just "fixed" the pictures on that post. Bell South "hacked my network" using a backhoe loader, and when they fixed it, the IP address changed. Therefore the picture links were broken. This should show the pictures again.... until my supposedly 'static' IP adress changes again.

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
      No problem. That sounds like a classic case of sticking TCC solenoid. There have been several threads posted with pictures etc. of this repair. I'll re-post some of it here with a few pictures incase you didn't see them!

Look at these threads:
      http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58
      http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67

They show a "yoke" or bracket around the end of the tranny. I think this is only on 4-cyl cars. I have never seen a 6-cyl A-Body with 125C that had the transmission end cover obstructed. I don't think you will have to take off the suspension; just the left front tire.

It's been a while since I did any in-car work on a 125C. I converted to a 440T4 because the 125C break so aften from lead foot and turbo boost.

This is what the new solenoid should look like:

Here's the valve train the solenoid operates:

Here are some pictures of a tranny I took apart to show this. It is one of the many junk ones laying around that turbo-intercooled 3.1 break badly...

Complete trans (on floor):

End cover off:

Parts labelled:

Closeup of mounting location:

Hope this info is useful!
      David

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the info!

As for your BellSouth thing, didn't they give you a specific IP address that's permanent? Otherwise it's not static.

Comment

Originally posted by bpogi View Post
          ....As for your BellSouth thing, didn't they give you a specific IP address that's permanent? Otherwise it's not static.
          Yes that is correct. Even says I have static IP on my monthly statement from Bellsouth. It was static for 2 years untill the phone and internet for our whole neighborhood went out due to road construction damaging the equipment.

When service was restored they had changed the IP number. I called and reported it, but it took them a month to get it fixed. If I remember when I signed up for Bellshouth DSL, I actually paid extra up front for a static IP... They did admit a mistake and did fix it, though. Just took a while. I think some wires got crossed at the main switchbox when it was repaired after the accident.

Anyway glad I could help you and glad my IP is fixed!
          Last edited by turbokinetic; 08-21-2008, 01:17 AM. Reason: type-o

Look me up on Facebook

Comment

i got another cutty here and only problem is about trans ...reverse not working ! when i put shifter for reverse gear there is no anykind of reaction from the trans

do you think i can fix it by myself?! or it 's better to replace whole trans with new one here .... !?

Comment

if Reverse doesnt work, it is better to replace whole transmission as an unit.
              "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
              -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
              proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
              Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Comment

Your high gear presure switch in the photo is the 2 pin type, my 93 125c only has a one pin connector, are they interchangable by adding the ground wire?

Comment

Crossposting this one: Is it possible to replace the TCC just by removing the front tire and the splash shield? I can see the bell housing bolts and if i can do that without removing the CV axle that would make life a little easier.

Plus: When I get another gasket, do i need to get a specific type sealant?
                  Last edited by BxOutkast2009; 03-02-2012, 06:31 AM. Reason: Adding a question!
                  Wayne

1993 Buick Century Custom 3.3
                  1995 Oldsmobile Aurora

Comment

Originally posted by BxOutkast2009 View Post
                    Crossposting this one: Is it possible to replace the TCC just by removing the front tire and the splash shield? I can see the bell housing bolts and if i can do that without removing the CV axle that would make life a little easier.

Plus: When I get another gasket, do i need to get a specific type sealant?
                    Replace the Torque Converter Clutch? or the TCC solenoid? Solenoid, yes. TCC, no.

Comment

As long as I've been on this forum I never knew this thread was here.

I can definitely use this next time I have a sticky TCC issue on a vehicle. Last one I experienced was Wesley, my '95 2.2L Century Special, I unplugged the connector at 269K, traded it off at 270K. This was in 2004, if I had known it was a simple fix (AAMCO quoted me at $725 if they didn't have to pull the trans, and knowing AAMCO, they'd find an excuse to do so), I would have kept the car and been slightly more uncomfortable sleeping in it versus the Aerostar.
                      Alan Moore - Lawton, OK
                      RIP Cobalt February 2020
                      08 Uplander LS van, maroon, 259K and counting

Comment

Originally posted by occupant View Post
                        As long as I've been on this forum I never knew this thread was here.

I can definitely use this next time I have a sticky TCC issue on a vehicle.
                        Well, I wish it were you...that 89 Beretta I bought and was just about ready, after putting in some $1K in parts, to put down on the floor and take out for test ride has transmission plug I noticed was disconnected...for a long time...Bummer, I know what's that all about. Oh well, another $35.00 or so

Nice little thread...thx David.

Comment

Originally posted by turbokinetic View Post
                          IIRC it was about $30 for the solenoid and a dollar or 2 for the end cover gasket.
                          Today's pricing at Amazon - If you have 125c transmission, its ACDelco 8689901 Torque Converter Solenoid: $25.65

I did find that torx bolt holding solenoid in was a bit tight; it required some extra ft lbs (along with firmly pushing torx bit into torx bolt) on 3/8 break-over bar to break loose. So, I firmly reinstalled it today.

Comment

Brian are you the same Brian E. over on the J-body organization? Hello all I just figured out what transmission I have in my 83 ciera with 4.3 ltr diesel. From what I understand the MD9&3T40 are all the same as a THM125C!?! Now for my problem and hopefully an answer to the problem. When I go to take off the trans slips, feels like it is grabbing then letting go repeatedly until a certain speed around 5MPH or so then it locks in fully and drives fine. Also it refuses to switch into 3rd gear, I have heard of a limp in mode? not sure if that applies to my case but pretty sure it doesn't. Also when in reverse I have to reeve the motor pretty high just to get it to move a little. Answers suggestion questions welcomed please help me figure this out. Thank you in advance.

Edit: Additional info. The previous owner said he had a new torque converter installed a couple to few years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by evilpea View Post
                              When I go to take off the trans slips.
                              Only when cold???...if so, put it in reverse, and wait several minutes before shifting into drive.

3rd gear not engaging...you mean lockup torque converter?

Comment

Working...
                              X