"Convenience Center" - "Multi-Function Alarm Module" location help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Convenience Center" - "Multi-Function Alarm Module" location help

I will be going in to find the Multi-Function Alarm Module on my Ciera. I have the Factory Service Manual and it says to find it in the "Convenience Center". The location is listed as "Behind the right hand side of instrument panel, near shroud"

I think a shroud is defined as some type of cloth that is used to wrap a dead body - indeed our A-bodies are getting old - but what do they mean by "near shroud" ? Is that the glove box?

If anyone knows of where to locate the "Multi-Function Alarm Module" which is located in the "Convenience Center" please let me know.

I am going to remove the module, examine it, and I may have to go junk yard hunting for a replacement because I believe it is the cause of my interior lights not working properly for the past two years.

BTW, this module controls a number of features on these A-body cars, and is impossible to replace in the aftermarket, so it might be a good part to get off of any junk yard cars that you can find.
    1993 Olds Ciera S, 3300 - 110K - Sapphire blue leather interior

98 Chevy Venture 3.4L 196K

In the Olds, it is to the right side of the glove compartment. You can either access it by removing the glove compartment or try going underneath after removing the 'hush panel'.

The function of the modules change over the years. I haven't investigated as to whether the theater dimming of the later models (1996 for sure) can be installed in the earlier. I believe I did see a wiring difference. I've noticed differences between the earlier cars (1990) with seat belts on the doors and even our 1992.

Be aware that the module is on the driver's side in the Century and is nearly inaccessible (though I have done it).
    Jerry

Comment

Thanks for the info and heads up for the different location in the Century. Here is what I found is the part number for many 92/93 models and it's use on other applications to document for others who may find this thread in the future.

Multifunction Alarm Module

(w/warning chime for seat belt, key, headlamps, interior lamps, & turn signal)

1992-1993 Buick Century
      1991-1992 Buick*Skylark, Somerset*
      1991-1993 Chevrolet Cavalier*
      1991 Oldsmobile Calais
      1992-1993 Oldsmobile*Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser*
      1992 Oldsmobile Achieva, Cutlass*
      1991-1993 Pontiac J2000, Sunbird
      1992 Pontiac Grand Am

Comment

That's good to know, I knew there were a lot of running changes. I recall seeing an orange-ish/brown one in the low mileage '92 Ciera that i took so much from for our '92 Century. I've never taken a mirror to see what the one looks like in the Century.

In the '80s GM with chimes, there were various different ones that did the same functions but sounded different. It seems the tones were identified depending on the color of the plastic case (and the part number, of course). Appeared to be a divisional thing, the best I could tell, i.e. Chevy Caprice vs Buick LeSabre vs Olds Delta 88. I believe they were Lechtron made
        Jerry

Comment

You were correct Jerry, I found a 93 Century and went in for this Module on the drivers side but gave up after 20 minutes. I never even got enough dash panels off to even see it. Fortunately I found one from a Ciera that I have installed and all is working normal now.

I will mention that if anyone is going after this part on a Ciera, you will need a 5/32" socket. It is going to be very difficult to remove after you find it. One of the screws is very difficult to get to (that's the easy one) and the other one is all but impossible. Further, the electrical connector is on the fender side so it is impossible to get a screwdriver or finger to be able to reach and release the electrical connector tab.

You can see the problem with my old module. There is broken circuit that was caused when I replaced the dome light with an LED light bulb. The replacement LED bulb, even though it was suppose to be the (China) match, did not fit well. So please be very careful if you are going to install an LED bulb because the dome light socket is hot all the time and if you accidentally ground the bulb (as I did, despite being careful) you may take out your module.

I am going to try and clean up this connection and put a drop of solder on it. Maybe I can fix it to keep as my spare. What do you all think - can this connection be restored ?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
          Last edited by Cressida; 06-11-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cressida View Post
            You were correct Jerry, I found a 93 Century and went in for this Module on the drivers side but gave up after 20 minutes. I never even got enough dash panels off to even see it.
            I guess they figured most would never be serviced in the life of the car. Ours in the '96 is tie wrapped to the wiring harness now on the driver's side. I'm a stickler about putting things back just like they were, but I draw the line at this non-sense.

Glad you got yours fixed. That looks just like what I remembered.
            Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Cressida View Post
              You were correct Jerry, I found a 93 Century and went in for this Module on the drivers side but gave up after 20 minutes. I never even got enough dash panels off to even see it.
              Oh wow. Couldn't even see it? That thing must be seriously buried.

Ken T.

Comment

In case anyone wondered what the Convenience Center looks like in the Century, I got to see mine again while I fixed the steering column in the '96. I don't know if I could ever get it unbolted from the dash again at this point in life after back surgery.

The multi-function alarm;

With the multi-function alarm unplugged;

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Did you pull the front seat when you did your job?

Thanks,
                  Ken T.

Comment

I didn't back then when I needed to remove and reseat the multi-function alarm (never expected that it would still be working all these years later), but I think I would have to do that now.
                    Jerry

Comment

Working...
                    X