Code 34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code 34

1991 oldsmbobile cutlass ciera 3.3. About a week ago I got a service engine soon light, no driveability issues code dissapeared after restart.

Yesterday SES light came on after work. Car had some slight jerking on the freeway and rpms would drop 3-400 when not using accelerator pedal but recover instantly.

Got home checked codes. 34 - MAP sensor circuit error (signal low indicating high vacuum). I RESET the codes and it instantly came back. Now I'm pretty sure my car has no MAP sensor but only a MAF sensor? I had to replace the MAF housing in april and it came with a sensor, couldn't get just the housing.

Not thinking I installed it and returned my OE sensor with the core and installed the Cardone one, I should have left the OE one. It's still under warranty so I was just going to swap it out, or should I check something else?
    Last edited by Ciera91; 12-13-2017, 01:55 AM.

Originally posted by Ciera91 View Post
    ...1991 oldsmbobile cutlass ciera 3.3...34 - MAP sensor circuit error...
    MAP might be on the firewall...on my Beretta it is...check vacuum line to it...signal low, might be a wiring issue...might use a voltmeter and see if its getting 5 volts (iirc) at plug

OLDSMOBILE 1991 CUTLASS CIERA 3.3L V6 Fuel & Air Manifold Pressure (MAP) Sensor

Comment

Originally posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post
      MAP might be on the firewall...on my Beretta it is...check vacuum line to it...signal low, might be a wiring issue...might use a voltmeter and see if its getting 5 volts (iirc) at plug

OLDSMOBILE 1991 CUTLASS CIERA 3.3L V6 Fuel & Air Manifold Pressure (MAP) Sensor

I'm pretty sure this car doesn't have one, there is no listing for it in the service manual Index. COMPONENT location views for the 3300 vin N show a maf sensor only.

The vin R which is 2.5 lists a map sensor. I LOOKED all over the firewall where they usually are, and on the engine before creating the original post. No MAP sensor to be found.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this car doesn't have one
        Via: 1990 olds cutlass Ciera: there an EGR valve..3.3L..V6..cruise control

see pic there

Comment

Already found that diagram also before creating this post. Nothing on the back up my engine, I also believe that is some generic diagram or closest that guy could find. Here are 2 detailed ones straight from the factory service manual I have.

Comment

34 - MAP sensor circuit error (signal low indicating high vacuum).
            I've never heard of "Fake Codes."

Find EGR, and look around...

Comment

3300s never had EGR.
              I'll have to get out the 1992 FSM and see if it got updated with something for code 34.
              Jerry

Comment

The 1992 FSM says that code 34 is Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor for the 3300. No MAP sensor at all.
                Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by CorvairGeek View Post
                  3300s never had EGR..
                  GM claims: Egr Valve - GM (17112038)
                  Buick Century 1991 Custom, Limited, Special 2.5L L4 - Gas, 3.3L V6 - Gas

But, I can't say if this is true or not...

Comment

GM claims: Egr Valve - GM (17112038)
                    Buick Century 1991 Custom, Limited, Special 2.5L L4 - Gas, 3.3L V6 - Gas

But, I can't say if this is true or not...
                    I can, it's wrong.
                    Jerry

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time there was a catalog error!

Ken T.

Comment

I just noticed this thread but a few weeks ago I decided to removed the MAF sensor for cleaning. I wasn't having any symptoms but did note there was some dirt / grim on the two TINY resistors and wires. It is really pretty easy to take the MAF off and apart. Do be very GENTLE with those two tiny resistors and wires. The wires will bend just from touching them. I used a Q-tip with alcohol and then sprayed it all down with a MAS cleaning spray.

It might be worth a try if you still are showing that code. I show a 34 = "MAF sensor did not give any signal for 4 seconds when engine was running."

I noted you had changed it out over the summer so one wouldn't be expecting problems already?
                        1993 Olds Ciera S, 3300 - 110K - Sapphire blue leather interior

98 Chevy Venture 3.4L 196K

Comment

Been busy with work, but O'Reilly swapped out my MAF sensor with another one and problem re appeared. Although it was doing it intermittently before that it quit for a little while. I cleaned out the throttle body when I first replaced it.

Problem persists off and on again. If I try to drive the car with check engine light on it has power but you can't floor it and trans seems to act a little weird.

If I immediately shut car off and re start when light apears it either fires right up and light disapears and has normal driveability or takes slightly longer cranking, light disapears and normal driveability.

It's almost like if I hold the key slightly longer when starting it won't appear, that's obviously not normal. Once in a while it's like it's starting/firing/ running for a second then dies with a "puff" sound. I cannot figure it out.

Last summer car got new plugs/wires/coil packs/ICM/idle air control valve/MAF sensor.

Comment

Problem persists off and on again....takes slightly longer....
                            If electrical ignition switch don't cost much, replace it...otherwise, use jumper wires, and drive it. I haven't seen one in years, but they use to be on steering column.

I don't know what relays the ignition switch "fires up," but they too might be related if they are "firing up" ICM, idle air control, MAF, etc. Find diagrams...ignition switch might be good, but there is a defective relay.

Comment

Have you checked the wiring on the MAF Sensor. Wiggle test? Start her up and wiggle wires to connector. Any corrosion inside that connector? My neighbor has a '91 Olds Ciera 3.3 and will not run with aftermarket MAF sensors, don't remember the first one we tried off hand. Put an A/C Delco on it and it ran like a champ. We tried A Delphi AF10124 and the darned thing would back fire and stall, ran like crap. Went thru two of those and no go. Put a A/C Delco on it and it ran great. Was much more expensive but it did the job. Not saying that is your problem, just sharing my experience with that symptom.

Comment

Working...
                              X