1993 Olds Ciera Coming Home On A Flat Bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Olds Ciera Coming Home On A Flat Bed

My neighbor called me a couple hours ago. His '93 Ciera/3300 is misfiring and losing power. Catalytic convertor is loading up. Uh oh. He's 100 miles from home so I sent another friend of mine in a tow truck to bring them home. I told him that would be the best thing to do cause he could destroy the catalytic converter trying to drive it 100 miles like that.................or worse. I won't see the car til late this evening but I'm thinking either he lost a coil or the ignition control module failed or is failing. My strongest guess is a coil though. He says he was losing power like he lost a cylinder and a bad misfire. At least I'm hoping that's all it is. We shall see when it gets here.

Okay, the car just got here. I put it in my garage so I can look it over. Yup, it's running real rough. I just ohm checked the coils and they test good. She's really chugging. Put her in gear and IAC kicks in hard to hold the idle and it is rough/shaky. I have a spare module and coils on the shelf. I'm just gonna throw them on and see what happens.

Comment

Got a code scanner for GM OBD-I?

Ken T.

Comment

I scanned it. No codes.

Comment

Bad gas , ignition coil module , break in the spark plug wire , or funny happened to me and to almost everyone ... Didn’t push the spark plug wire into the spark plug till it clicks and was misfiring from that lol . Just for giggles what plugs are in it ? While your there Skip ohm out the injectors or grab a long flat head screw driver so u can put your ear close to the handle end and hear the clicking in rhythm ( you won’t get zapped ) if u hear nothing it’s a bad injector causing a off balance

Comment

It's getting dark out and I don't want to start pulling out lights right now. This will have to wait until tomorrow and then I'm gonna go all out on it. This car had a major tune about 5 years ago and hasn't been touched since other than oil and filter changes every 3000 miles. She's very clean. No oil leaks, visual inspection looks good. I'll my stethoscope in the morning and check injectors. I'll let you guys know what I find as I work on it tomorrow.

Comment

Okay, back to it again today.

Here's where I am so far with this. I have not started the car yet as I want everything cold so I can work on her comfortably and OHM test a few things.

Injectors across the board
              cylinder 2 = 12.3/cylinder 4= 12.3/cylinder 6= 12.3
              cylinder 1= 12.3/cylinder 3= 12.3/cylinder 5= 12.3
              Ignition Coils
              Top Coil Secondary Resistance= 5.6
              Second Coil Secondary Resistance= 5.6
              Third Coil Secondary Resistance= 5.58
              Top Coil Primary Resistance= 0.5
              Second Coil Primary Resistance= 0.5
              Third Coil Primary Resistance = 0.5

Pretty consistent so far. I am gonna swap out the ignition module with a known good GM OEM one that I have on the side. I also have OEM COILs to swap out too if need be. Then I'm gonna check fuel pressure at the rail. Then a start and see what happens. If she still runs like crap it will be injector testing time.

Edit: The battery was very low. Failed load test. It's charging now. Could be a contributing factor. Will be a few hours before it's at full charge.
              Last edited by Skip; 07-08-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Did we check the fuel pressure? Should be easy to check on that motor.

Ken T.

Comment

Yup, 42lbs. cold key on, engine off. Haven't started it yet as the battery is still on slow trickle charge. I will be going over EVERYTHING on this one. Once the battery takes a full charge and the engine is started I'll know more. Don't want to boost the battery, slow charge is best.

Comment

Well she started right up today. Seemed to be idling fine. Checked the injectors with a stethoscope and they all sounded alright. Clattering away. Fuel pressure was holding at a steady 40psi at idle. Shut the engine down, psi went up a little bit to 45 and held steady. Doesn't appear to be any bleed down after 30 minutes. Started it back up and it started very fast, went to high cold idle and came down to low idle in about 45 seconds and held steady. But I put it in gear and it misfires a little bit when slow pressing the accelerator. I can hear it through the exhaust. She's popping a little bit. Now I'm gonna check the wires and plugs and the firing order. I wanna make sure no one has monkeyed around with the wires. She's got a definite misfire/hesitation in gear when accelerator is applied.

Comment

It would be useful if we could look at the fuel trims and O2 waveforms. I've got OBD-1 in my '95, and I was able to get them, but I don't know if the older car's ECU would support that or not.

How about vacuum at idle? Maybe we have an old fashioned vacuum leak?

Ken T.

Comment

That is also possible Ken, I can't find my vacuum gauge at the moment. I haven't used that thing in ages. Tomorrow I've got to look thru my tool boxes and see where I put that sucker.

Okay, so I did an injector balance test cause I was curious as to what they were doing.

Fuel Pressure at rest = 43lbs.

Injector pulse test results:

#1= 38 #2=38
                        #3= 39 #4=38
                        #5= 38 #6=38

The car starts up quick. As it warms and comes to rest at idle it runs like crap. I did spray all around the intake mounting surfaces with a little brake cleaner with no change in idle at all. No check engine light at all.

Yeah, I don't have any fancy scanners for these. I don't know how deep a scanner can go on OBD 1. Probably not much more than what I've got. Mine can read live data, temps, sensors positions, O2 cross counts. From what I could see on that............readings are all normal. I wonder if a crankshaft position sensor could be on it's way out and cause symptoms like this and yet not set a code. I don't have a spare to test with either. I'm gonna hook up my little scanner and see if rpms are swinging wildly or showing any craziness.

I'm hoping it's not something internal.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post
                          The car starts up quick. As it warms and comes to rest at idle it runs like crap. I did spray all around the intake mounting surfaces with a little brake cleaner with no change in idle at all. No check engine light at all.
                          Injector O-rings at the manifold too? The set I had shrink really threw me.
                          Jerry

Comment

Ok Skip you have a timing light ? Hook it up on number 1 and make sure the timing isn’t off even tho it’s fuel injected should be able to see if the timing gear set isn’t out of whack . I know your covering all what u can just for giggles by age an mileage a worn timing chain would act out of sort I know she starts up fast and idles crappy . Ohm out the CTS as well see if it’s reading off making the car start up hot when cold and visa versa would so make it run crappy . Just break down the ohm to Celsius reading to F and compare to temp outside ish should close . I have had 2 bad CTS make the 3100 be all cranky in the morning and the ecu won’t pick it up unless it’s way off . Hope this helps it’s rough doing a search and rescue figuring out the older cars but fun to when it’s a challenge . I get a kick out of the new boys who have no clue what to look out for on the older gm .

Comment

Keith, how would I use the timing light to see if the timing is out of whack on this particular style of ignition? There are no base marks that I can see. If it's computer controlled how can I tell if it's failed? If it was something like the timing chain tensioner I would think I should hear a slap in the front cover?

Comment

Working...
                              X