Fuel Injector Vacuum Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Injector Vacuum Leak

On my 86 Buick Century T Type LG3 3.8L V6 I was checking for vacuum leaks. I sprayed throttle body cleaner at the base of the injectors where they sit in the intake manifold and on one injector there was an increase in engine RPMs. I assume this means the o-ring at the base of the injector is bad? There is no odor of gas from the engine bay. If I let the car idle for several minutes the engine stumbles and stalls and I get lean code. How difficult is it to remove the fuel rail and injectors on my 3.8?

I thought I would try to depressurize the fuel injection system by using a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail test port. On the gauge there is a drain hose and a brass button to press and I was hoping that this would drain the fuel rail but no gas came out. In fact, even pressing the Schroeder valve stem with a screwdriver results in no gas squirting out. Does this mean that in my car there is no fuel pressure in the rail when the engine is off?

Comment

Any engine over ten years old needs to have o-rings renewed.

Generally speaking , no pressure holding after key switch has energized fuel pump, then FPR's check-valve, fuel-pump's, or an inline check-valve (if applicable)

Comment

Originally posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post

Generally speaking , no pressure holding after key switch has energized fuel pump, then FPR's check-valve, fuel-pump's, or an inline check-valve (if applicable)
        Thanks Ciera. I was worried because everything I've read has a big "WARNING you must depressurize the injection system by pulling the fuse or connections to the fuel pump and run the engine till it's out of gas before servicing" but I guess our engines are different. I'm nervous about removing the fuel rail and injectors because in a thread here some guys had a lot of trouble: https://www.a-body.net/forums/showth...Fuel-Injectors

I've never done this and I'm worried that I won't get the fuel lines reattached properly and end up with all kinds of leaks and problems.

Comment

Im wondering if his initial key on, prime fuel system is working, but the relay for the engine running, fuel pump on, is working. If its running, and then stalls, that almost what it sounds like to me.
          Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
          More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
          01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Comment

Originally posted by T Type View Post
            "WARNING"
            Ever seen a piston melt?

Comment

Originally posted by Pontiac6ksteawd View Post
              ...If its running, and then stalls, that almost what it sounds like to me.
              I assume vehicle is running...with issue at idle. "...engine stumbles and stalls and I get lean code" Maybe fouled injector(s).

Add a bottle of Techron with a full tank of gas, and go cruising for a hour, at 45mph+

I've never had an issue with pulling injectors...I did it on a 3.8 years ago.

Comment

...but the relay for the engine running, fuel pump on, is working. If its running, and then stalls
                On V6-2.8 engine, oil pressure controls fuel pump....not enough oil pressure, and pump quits working. Or weak oil pressure sending unit...I always replace this item when it controls fuel pump.

Comment

They dont have the same oil pressure operated system inbetween the 90* v6 and the 60* v6?

I admit a lot of knowledge about the 60* engines.. But am limited on the 90* engines
                  Last edited by Pontiac6ksteawd; 10-18-2018, 02:22 PM.
                  Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
                  More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
                  01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 127k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 193k

Comment

They dont have the same oil pressure operated system inbetween the 90* v6 and the 60* v6?
                    First time I encountered an oil pressure switch controlling fuel pump was on a 1971 Vega GT. I'd have to get schematics to know if a relay was involved, back then.

I know some of later GM vehicles had a test lead to check fuel pump, around driver's side firewall area

Comment

Originally posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post

Install the new o-rings with a _small_ amount of approved silicone grease. I got some with my rebuilt injectors. This will help the seal, and also help with removal when the injectors need to come out.

Ken T.

Comment

Working...
                      X