Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: automatic to manual conversion?

Default automatic to manual conversion?

hi i was just wondering if anyone here has ever done or heard of doing an auto to manual conversion on an a-body. I really miss driving standard and I've heard that its not too difficult to remove the driveshaft on these cars. I was reading on wikipedia about the Getrag produced 5sp manual for the 87' chevy celebrity but my car is a 93 so I dont know if the differences would be too great to do a swap that way..

If you have a 3.3Liter that is a different bellhousing than that of an 88 Celebrity (whose biggest motor was the 2.8 at the time). The Getrag won't bolt up.
    1988 Pontiac 6000 Sedan
    2.8 Liter GEN II 60 Degree V6; 440-T4 4 Speed Automatic
    118,000 Miles; "The Junkyard Frankenstein"

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
    5.7 Liter LS1 V8; 4L60-E 4 Speed Automatic
    2.73 GU2 Posi (for now); 17" Corvette Z06 Rims
    Tint, Halo Headlights, SLP Grille
    System, SLP Loudmouth II Exhaust

Vehicle
    1997 Mercury Grand Marquis

The ciera and celebrity's both had 5 speeds avaliable. The century and 6000 did not. There very rare to find though. IIRC, there were some mated to a 3300 (89 Ciera International?)

Ah i see... it is probably more work than it is worth anyway since I do a lot of city driving.
    93 Olds Cutlass Ciera 3.3l v6

Yea I would say its more work than its worth. These automatic trannies aren't bad anyway, they can take quite a beating (I've towed S-10 Blazers and Cadillacs out of subframe deep mud with my 86, neutral dropped a few times, did tray sliding with the rear brakes locked up), and attempted some burnouts). I will be safer with my 6000 though so that it may last, as it has been pushed harder in the past than my 86 was.
    1988 Pontiac 6000 Sedan
    2.8 Liter GEN II 60 Degree V6; 440-T4 4 Speed Automatic
    118,000 Miles; "The Junkyard Frankenstein"

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
    5.7 Liter LS1 V8; 4L60-E 4 Speed Automatic
    2.73 GU2 Posi (for now); 17" Corvette Z06 Rims
    Tint, Halo Headlights, SLP Grille
    System, SLP Loudmouth II Exhaust

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Stunna View Post
    If you have a 3.3Liter that is a different bellhousing than that of an 88 Celebrity (whose biggest motor was the 2.8 at the time). The Getrag won't bolt up.
    I am pretty sure that this info is completely inaccurate. The 3.3/3.8 90* motors, and the 2.8/3.1 60* motors use the same transmissions, and are swappable.

The hardest part is finding a A-body (celebrity, ciera, century, 6000) or a X-body (Citation, skylark, Omega, phoenix) that is a stick shift, then taking the brake pedal, clutch pedal, and shifter cables, stick shift mount. From there it gets a little more simple, you can use a 4 speed tranny found in the older X-bodys and fieros, or a 5 speed tranny found in ALOT of diferent GM made cars. Then it gets harder. I dont remember which one, but one of the motors are balanced oddly. I just dont remember which one. Steve (otisdavidson) would know. Then taking out the auto tranny, plugging the tranny cooler lines at the radiator, fly wheel exchange, EEPROM reprogram, taking out old tranny, putting in new tranny, etc etc.. Supposidly the best tranny to use for the swap is from a 88 (maybe 87) Chevy cavalier/Pontiac sunbird 2.8 with a 5 speed. The tranny has both electronic and mechanical speed sensors, so it works for both the older and newer A-bodys. Hopefully this will get you started if you choose this endevor..
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1996 Olds Ciera, 1984 Chevy Celebrity 2.8L Carbed (RIP)

My owners manual claimed the '84 came with a 4 speed manual transmission. I was thinking about tackling this job next summer, but I'm starting to think it might be more of a headache than it's worth.... :\

Vehicle
    1991 Ciera

The tough thing is finding the parts. Not many were made to begin with! But if you could find a complete parts car, life would be easy

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

I was looking over at the grand am forum and apprantly theres this guy who has a 3.3 in his grand am and he was converting it to a 5spd and was taking the old boxy cavalier with the 3.1 5spd he was using the tranny, clutch, flywheel but drilled holes to match the bolt pattern of the 3.3 and i guess it works and everything so my question is couldn't we just a get a cavalier tranny and all that jazz and bolt it up to our A-bodies
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 3.3 v6
    16" cutlass supreme 5 spokes
    Now it is time to get the L67 in between the fenders
    "DIE HARD A-BODY FAN"

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Unless you're like me and have the parts imported from Mexico.......Down there, the Ciera had a 5 speed up to 1995 or 1996...
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by SexySilhouette View Post
    Unless you're like me and have the parts imported from Mexico.......Down there, the Ciera had a 5 speed up to 1995 or 1996...
    How would I go about doing that? I still haven't located anything much better than the beretta parts I have.

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

what 86 euro said how and where would go and order the parts and how much did it cost you
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 3.3 v6
    16" cutlass supreme 5 spokes
    Now it is time to get the L67 in between the fenders
    "DIE HARD A-BODY FAN"

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL92 View Post
    The ciera and celebrity's both had 5 speeds avaliable. The century and 6000 did not. There very rare to find though. IIRC, there were some mated to a 3300 (89 Ciera International?)
    I'm gonna have to disagree with this, and swap 6000 and Ciera. Celebrity and 6000 were offered with manual transmissions, but Ciera and Century were not. They were targetted at a different market. Celebrity was an entry-level model, so a manual option is natural. 6000 was the sport model, and manual would be good for that. Ciera and Century were more up-market, for older people who just want a comfortable couch-mobile, so automatics only.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 214k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

You COULD get a manual in a Ciera. I once looked at a 1984 wagon with a 4 speed!

The Century was not offered with a manual.

And I have a few pics of 6000s with 5 speeds.
    Jay

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by SexySilhouette View Post
    You COULD get a manual in a Ciera. I once looked at a 1984 wagon with a 4 speed!

The Century was not offered with a manual.

And I have a few pics of 6000s with 5 speeds.
    i though the wagons were 4 speed autos

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast