Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My L67 swapped Ciera

Vehicle
    1989 Olds Cutlass Ciera International

Default My L67 swapped Ciera

Ok, here is my contribution to those that are interested in an L67 swap into their A-body. I started with a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International Couple that came with a 3300/4T60. I picked this car for it being one of the lighter GM FWD cars that can accept the L67 with no major modifications. Plus, I think it’s one of the sportier looking A-bodies along with VRs and STEs.

I started with purchasing the engine/trans from a '99 Regal GS and a wiring harness from a ’99 Grand Prix GT (yes, non-supercharged). There are various differences between L67s throughout the years but the best match is one from a W-body. The reason being is that they have the oil pan and oil filter adapter that best fit A-bodies. The reason I used a wiring harness from a ’99 Grand Prix GT is that they seem to have least amount of security issues and they don’t have a fuel pump resistor like the GTP harness. Also, I already had HP Tuners for a ’99 Grand Prix so that was also a main driving reason. I cleaned up the engine and painted the fuel rails and exhaust manifolds with high temp ceramic paints. I also replaced some gaskets including the valve cover gaskets since they are prone to leak.

For the engine mounts I used a stock 3300 engine mount and bracket. It bolted straight up to the L67 and locates the engine correctly so that you can use the stock 3300 trans mounts as well.

Also, that’s a stock 3300 A/C bracket bolted on as well. I did have to slightly notch the one corner where it was hitting the supercharger tensioner bracket.

The front trans mount can be a stock 3300 mount and bracket and it will bolt straight up to the 4T65E. Now, the rear trans mounts can kind of get a little tricky. As far as I can tell sometime in early ’99 they removed the extra mounting bosses on the rear of the 4T65E. So the stock 3300 rear trans mount will not bolt up. At this point I had to fabricate my own adapter plate to bolt the stock 3300 trans mount to the 4T65E and it worked out fine.

I test fit the engine and transmission on the A-body subframe to make sure the clearances were ok. I was told that I would have a clearance problem between the transmission and the steering rack, but there was not an issue. Also take notice that the factory high pressure power steering line from the L67 was the right thread for the A-body rack. I did have bend it a little but only a slight tweak to get the threads to line up.

I bought new rubber mounts and after a year of use they still seem to be holding up fine. The stock 3300 upper torque mount (aka. dog-bone) doesn’t fit into the stock L67s bracket. I did found that a 3100 A-body dog-bone and radiator support mount fits without modifications. The only major mechanical thing left is the axles. Here’s what I did for axles and they still seem to be fine after over a year of driving it. The driver’s side is easy as I was able to reuse most of the stock 3300/4T60. I only changed the inner joint since the 4T65E is splined differently. The passenger side is a little more difficult. I used a stock 3300/4T60 outer joint, a 3100/4T60E shaft, and the L67/4T65E inner joint. My stock 3300 fan almost hit the front exhaust manifold. In fact if you look at the 3300 front manifold they have an indentation to clear the fan motor. I swapped it out to a later 3100 style fan that has a flat motor. The whole fan/shroud bolted straight to my stock radiator support so it worked out well. For the exhaust I made a complete 3” mandrel bent setup. The factory outlet of the L67 is 3” so I figures since I was going to be putting a turbo on it within a year that I may as well make a full 3” setup right away. My setup comprised of a high flow catalytic converter, 18” Dynomax bullet as a resonator, and a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler. The whole exhaust is of a straight-thru design to minimize exhaust backpressure.

1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International --> L67 - M90 + 60-1 =

Yes it's an Oldsmobile and yes it makes over 450 HP!!

Vehicle

Now, I would consider the real meat of the swap to be with the wiring changes needed. Since A-bodies have the ECM in the cabin we really get the short end of the stick here. What I ended up doing was separating the engine harness from the chassis harness except for a few key areas like fuel pump, A/C, gauges, brake switch, and a few others. There is a lot of wiring that has to be removed since the whole engine wiring harness from the 3300 in my case was worthless. There are two bulkhead connectors on the firewall, one on the driver’s side and one on the passenger’s side. The driver’s side bulkhead connecter feeds the C100, which contains most of the gauge wires, main glove-box fuse-block power, etc. While the passenger side connector feeds most of the engine wiring such as sensors, relays, etc. Most of the wiring on the passenger side connector gets removed.

There were a lot of little changes that I did to make the swap seem like a factory setup. I moved the battery to the driver’s side using a later W-body battery tray.

One of the main reasons for moving the battery was so I could mount the PCM where the battery used to be located. I used a Blazer PCM tray to hold the PCM and it worked out nicely.

I modified the factory L67 engine fuse box to mount on my passenger side just like it was mounted in W-bodies. You’ll also notice the tiny radiator overflow tank I squeezed next to the battery. It’s from a Geo Metro and was the smallest that I could find.

While on the topic of the radiator I used my factory 3300 radiator and it’s worked fine. As far as the hoses are concerned I used a factory 3300 lower radiator hose, and the cut the 3300 upper radiator hose to fit. In this picture you can also see the custom 4” intake that I made. It may not have been ideal but it got the job done.

I also picked up a nice Oldsmobile boost gauge a while ago from GM Performance Parts. It was made by Autometer and is a liquid filled gauge. I don't have a picture of it mounted but here's the gauge compared to my factory cluster.

Here's what it looked like when it was all done and driving.

That’s really all I have right now. I do have more info from my turbo conversion but I’ll have to write that up another day.

Truly a cool project. Thanks for posting this here.
    - Joe

Vehicle
    1996 Olds Ciera, 1984 Chevy Celebrity 2.8L Carbed (RIP)

Awesome project!

How does it ride compared to the 3300? (I figure the L67 has quite a bit of HP on it....)

So, what exactly would be involved with the 2.8? >_>

Would all of the 3300 mounts and such swap into the 2.8 with no problems?
    2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indy

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0V8

NE of The 8th Most Dangerous City in America
    Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

Very, Very nice. Great job. A+++++
    Check out my VR at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/805391 and at the definitive source of Eurosport VR information http://www.eurosportvr.com

Vehicle
    1991 Ciera

nice!! welcome back

WHAT? Your car wasnt sweet enough you had to do THAT to it?

Very cool hope your enjoying it.
    1989 Formula 350, 2002 Bonneville SE
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Vehicle

As far as swapping a L67 into a 2.8 equipped car is concernced, you would have to acquire the front 3300 engine mount bracket at the very least. I think that the trans mounts would work but I'm not sure if TH125C and 4T60 mounts are the same. The sub-frames are the same so I don't see the mounts being different, but it's possible since I have never really looked at them.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Vehicle
    '87 Buick Century T-Type

Awesome, now I know what to do with the 3300 Century.

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Finally someone listened lol awesome project this has really inspired me to do mine now
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 3.3 v6
    16" cutlass supreme 5 spokes
    Now it is time to get the L67 in between the fenders
    "DIE HARD A-BODY FAN"

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

yea it time for a turbo in mine but thats getting complated becauce i dont have a lot of space.......................................like the air cleaner interferes with my 2nd battery.

but enought of that VERY COOL PROJECT.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

NE of The 8th Most Dangerous City in America
    Vehicle
    87/88 Eurosport VR

Man that is sooooo nice. It looks like it belongs in there. Great attention to the details Skalor. You should be proud. How many hours do you guess you put into it so far. I've got a thousand questions, but I don't know where to start?!?!?!?
    Check out my VR at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/805391 and at the definitive source of Eurosport VR information http://www.eurosportvr.com

Vehicle

Thanks, I changed a couple things while it was still supercharged to clean up a few things. One of the main things was the fuel lines. In the pictures above I just had steel line for temporary use until I found ones that fit from another car. I found that ones from a 4th gen V6 F-body were perfect to mate with the stock A-body line. They already had a reflective jacket on them so I added some more to hid the union. Here's the the car currently sits with the supercharger gone and a Turbonetics 60-1 in it's place.

I still have to finish the loom on the wiring harness, but I'll get there eventually.

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

That is so fricken sweet your car is an idol to my car lol jk good job on the swap
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 3.3 v6
    16" cutlass supreme 5 spokes
    Now it is time to get the L67 in between the fenders
    "DIE HARD A-BODY FAN"

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast