Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: accessory switch

Default accessory switch

Just a quck question: is there an accessory position for our ignitions, or is key-on the only way to fire up the radio? I've tried turning the key back but cannot go further than the off position.
    2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indy

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0V8

Vehicle
    1991 Ciera

Try pushing in the key while you turn it. it should click back right behind the regular off position

Been there done that. It just doesn't go anywhere.

Vehicle
    1997 Mercury Grand Marquis

lock cylinder binding up. Do you have another key to try it with?

Many a cars have done this to me, Formula and STE are the most recent, get some powder graphite and give it a couple squirts, then run the cylinder through a couple cycles and try going back after a couple turns to start and back off!! Worked for my prolly 5 or 6 times. No one does any maintenance on their lock cylinders ( not many but me!!!) An oil change at 3k is not all the maintenance a vehicle needs!
    1989 Formula 350, 2002 Bonneville SE
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

I've had several GM cars that the acc position did not work, it was because the cylinders simply were worn out. You could take the key out even with the car running, one of them could even start with NO KEY! BUT, you can turn the key to the ON position, but not quite and the radio will turn on and the windows will have power, but everything else will be turned off. It's a little tricky at first, but after some practice, it's not hard to do.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 86euro View Post
    I've had several GM cars that the acc position did not work, it was because the cylinders simply were worn out. You could take the key out even with the car running, one of them could even start with NO KEY! BUT, you can turn the key to the ON position, but not quite and the radio will turn on and the windows will have power, but everything else will be turned off. It's a little tricky at first, but after some practice, it's not hard to do.
    Yeah, that's what I normally do, but I figured that couldn't have been the way GM intended since it's not exactly easy to do.

Dcj, I'll try that. If that doesn't work, is there a way to get a replacement cylinder without having to get a new key?

Lock smith should be able to re-key new cylinder to old key. I would personally just use new keys that come with it though. Why wouldnt you? Get it from GM if you want it to say GM on it.
    1989 Formula 350, 2002 Bonneville SE
    DON
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Lock smith should be able to re-key new cylinder to old key. I would personally just use new keys that come with it though. Why wouldnt you? Get it from GM if you want it to say GM on it.
    Because the keys I have now are original with the olds logo on them >_> <_<

Whether you have a new one re-keyed or not, get it from GM. The aftermarket ones tend to stick, or not even turn at all. I couldn't drive my Celeb coupe for a week because of a cyl from NAPA.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Alright. On a side note, my lock cylinder sticks out about 1/4 inch from the steering column, and you have to push it in to touch the steering column with it, and thus being able to turn it. Still sound like the lock cylinder is bad or does it need a new ignition assembly altogether?

And what about keys w/chips in them. I know they're expensive, but it's a nice anti-theft device, does not allow the car to run at all without a chipped key. Any decent ones out there that could be made to work with our cars (requiring modifications for our cars of course)?

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Wow, thats a interesting question, and can really only be answered one way..

The VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) is a horrid system. The VATS modules are always going bad, and they are really expensive to get fixed.

So the answer is simply, yes it can be done. But unless you are glutton for punishment, dont waste your time or money. It would be cheaper to get a aftermarket alarm system.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Anybody have a walkthrough regarding this? AZ's repair info is horrid regarding this issue, and I can't find my SM again -__-

Vehicle
    1997 Mercury Grand Marquis

Quote Originally Posted by Tonglebeak View Post
    Alright. On a side note, my lock cylinder sticks out about 1/4 inch from the steering column, and you have to push it in to touch the steering column with it, and thus being able to turn it.
    Nothing to add on the VATS, except x2. My cylinder sticks out a quarter of an inch too, but I don't have to push it in to use the foward positions. I do have to push it in to get accessory though.

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera

Quote Originally Posted by Tonglebeak View Post
    Because the keys I have now are original with the olds logo on them >_> <_<
    You can find original key blanks. I bought a bunch of ford ones awhile back on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...spagenameZWDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...spagenameZWDVW
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ank&category0=

I'm considering ordering a set or two just because having non OEM keys drives me nuts.

As for VATS, Ford has PATS (passive anti theft system). Keys for my Grand Marquis are $25 a pop from the dealership. When I got the car, I only got one key. You can have up to 8 keys programmed, but you need atleast 2 to program additional ones using the car's ignition lock. I ended up paying $125 plus tax for 2 keys for my Grand Marquis. $25 a pop for the keys, and $75 to put the car on the machine to reset the PATS codes. The good news is that resetting the computer invalidated any other keys for my car that may be in existence. And if I lose a key now, it's only $25 and I can program it in the car (because I will still have 2 keys).

The chip in the keys are bad news. I knew a guy who had his car broken into and they destroyed the ignition cylinder and the most of the column trim on his Crown Vic. The dealership wanted over 2 grand to fix it. I replaced the cylinder with a non PATS cylinder meant for a police car, removed the PATS module, and replaced the trim from the junk yard for less than $200.
    Tim
    A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

1997 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 I6/Auto)
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (4.6/Auto) (The Tank)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast