Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "What could possibly go wrong?" Let's Play: GM 3100 Head Gasket Job [blind]

Vehicle
    '87 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon

Indeed. With a little pain, and trial this car will be well worth it once you are crusing down the road. Shame on the PO for not being completely honest with you....course if he was you would've knocked down the asking price even further, given the work you have to do on it thusfar.
    My A-Body Cars (past and present), meet the family:

Car With No Name: 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera w/Iron Duke (My first car, R.I.P.)
    Camilla: 1985 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport 2.8L V6 MPFI Iron Head (My new road cruiser)
    Jeanette: 1987 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon 2.8L V6 (The daily driver)
    Danielle: 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4.3L V6 Diesel (Finally getting overhauled)

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

ugh

ugh

ugh

fukkin rekt m8

The rear head gasket had identical damage. How does that work?

I ended up using a much too long extension from underneath to get the downpipe bolt out. I didn't bother pulling the exhaust manifold off this time. Think the machine shop will have a problem with that?

Hey glad you got it apart!

I have one question, though. Please tell me this mark is not a score mark.....

Vehicle

That is not a score mark. That is a small trail of coolant from pulling the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    That is not a score mark. That is a small trail of coolant from pulling the head.
    Good. It was hard to tell!

How's the repair going?

Vehicle

Well, with that, teardown is complete. I need to remove the exhaust manifold from the one head, and the engine lift bracket from the other, and they can go to the machine shop! I have a place lined up to clean and check them for $65. Does that sound like a fair price?

That is a fair price for a checkout; however you should also have the valve guide seals changed. Or else it may become a smoker. The rubber seals don't fare so well with extreme heat.

Vehicle

Pulled the exhaust manifold off the rear head in preparation for taking the heads to the machine shop. I discovered that the two studs on #5 are broken, and have been for some time. The top one has significant bluing on the broken end. How could I have known that? The engine was quiet. It didn't sound like it had an exhaust leak.

At this point, I have to know. What does a machine shop typically charge to remove broken exhaust studs and retap the boss? Would it be more cost-effective to just get another head?

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Probably usually $20-30 if you find a good machine shop... and that's going by rates in our area... yours might charge even less considering we paid $150 for the milling and yours is willing to do it for less than that.

Vehicle

I was hoping you'd see that, SilentWing. Do you still have your stock heads? If so, are they in good condition? If so, would you be willing to send them to me? I'll cover shipping of course.

Vehicle

Honestly my heads were probably in no better shape than yours, or at the very least would have needed to be rebuilt the same as yours do. One of the heads Luke ended up giving to a coworker at his previous job who was in a bind. I still have the other, but I'm not sure it would do you much good. If you still want the one let me know.

I've also got the two 3400 heads, but like I said before those would definitely need to be rebuilt, and without the rest of the top swap it would be pretty much useless.

Vehicle

Dang it. Thanks anyway.

Vehicle

Took the heads to the machine shop on Tuesday, picked them up yesterday. $185 later I have good heads! That broke the budget for the week though, so I'll have to wait until next paycheck to get the gaskets and put this thing back together.

Vehicle

Glad to hear you got the heads back. $185 really isn't that bad of a price.... especially considering now you've basically got some brand new heads. Are you going to/can you get a video when you get it up and running again?

Vehicle

Of course! I haven't even taken any proper pictures of the damn thing yet, so when this is done, expect a huge post.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast