Thread: Winterizing the Cutlass C

Vehicle
    1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Default Winterizing the Cutlass C

So the time has come where I had to break out the steelies and spoked hubcaps and buy a new pair of winter tires for the Cutlass C. Yes Winter is shortly upon us and the car is now ready. No longer can you buy 185/75R14 the tire that I have to get now is 195/70R14, or 195/60 I can't remember right now and I'm not running out to look either. Also It got undercoated, the first time in a long time, and I gave it an oil/filter change and even did my spark plugs (because I broke one while checking the gap). I'll put some pics up of her sporting the wire hubcaps when I take a picture. Now I did a stupid thing. I went today and bought my oil (didn't pay attention to it) I was sorta in a fog all day. When I got home I went to work on the car, drained the oil, pulled the filter, changed my plugs, put everything back together, filled it up with oil and at the point in time where I was cleaning things up, I rubbed over the oil fill cap and noticed it said "5W30". Now I've been changing oil for quite some time, and I've changed the oil on this car before and I've bought 5W30 before, but for some strange reason, I picked up a jug of 10W30. Now I'm pretty sure nothing bad is going to come of this, but this is me double checking. Nothing bad is going to come of this is it? In 5000km's I'll change the oil again and it'll be the right stuff. Anyways. Good luck to all of those who will be winterizing their cars! It's been 3 years since the Cutlass C has seen winter driving!

Vehicle
    1986 Celeb Wagon 2.5

well if it gets cold, 10w-30 is gonna be a tad thick on cold mornings, and it will tick loudly in the mornings, possibly cause increased wear on cold starts. Also about the 185/75/R14's they must have lied to you, because i just bought a set for my 6000 and had no problem getting them.
    "Pontiac, Of Course"
    1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
    1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
    1991 Audi 200 Auto
    1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Vehicle

well yeah I'd say somebody lied. They told dad that they were "phasing" out the 185/75 and the tire that was identical to it was the 195/75. There isn't too much difference, it's a little bigger but oh well. As for the oil, I figured that would be the only problem, it won't take me too long to put 5000km's on the Cutlass.

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

the oil will be fine, as for the tires doestn realy matter the 185/75's will do a little better in the snow as they are taller and a little more narrow, and i think the 75 series tires look better becuase the fill out the wheel wells more

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle

Undercoated, and you can see the new piece of exhaust! (The piece that goes up over the axle was rotted right down the seam, looked like somebody had cut it open!)

Looks like the transmission blew up all over the underside of the car (Undercoated using Chainsaw oil and toilet bowl seals $45)

Ahhh, I love my Cutlass Ciera!

Vehicle
    1991 Ciera

Get some old crappy matts and cover all the carpet (Like that hump for the exhaust in the front). I was thankful to peel those away last year, and find unmolested carpet underneath

Vehicle

I'm assuming you're talking about salt damage?? My carpet is pretty nasty looking in places, and I have nice deep rubber floor mats anyways, so I'm not overly worried.

Vehicle
    1991 Ciera

Yeah. The rubber mats are awesome, but everywhere they are not placed, gets all salty. So I cover everything up

Who needs to winterize these old cars anyways? Haven't they been through enough to get through on their own :P

The only thing I did to "winterize" my car was replacing that damn o-ring that was leaking oil all over the place...that's one less leak that water can get in and freeze
    2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indy

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0V8

Vehicle
    '87 Buick Century T-Type

Quote Originally Posted by Tonglebeak View Post
    Who needs to winterize these old cars anyways? Haven't they been through enough to get through on their own :P

The only thing I did to "winterize" my car was replacing that damn o-ring that was leaking oil all over the place...that's one less leak that water can get in and freeze
    Looks kinda like your car

Just a bit

BTW, I'm using 10w-30 as well, that was to help slow down that leak that I finally had fixed. I'm using synthetic oil, so there will still be residual oil on the engine parts for cold starts, causing a lot less wear. You might be more interested in trying that out...

Vehicle
    1989 Chevrolet Celebrity

I just put synthetic blend in over the weekend. Not that i have much else to add to the convo then that, just thought id mention it, lol.

Im also puttin snows on this weekend, yet another comment that i thought id mention that adds nothin to the convo.
    1989 Celebrity 2.8l v6 115,000 miles
    Cold Air Intake-----------------------Trans-am Spoiler
    Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler------225/50/R16 Hankook's
    Custom Dual Exhaust Setup---Alpine CDA-D855
    MA-Audio 12" Sub------------------Soundstorm Amp
    --------Custom "firm/lowered" suspension---------

Vehicle

Had our first snowfall in Sackville NB. got about 10-15cms. This was only about 3 hours after it started.

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera

The only thing I did for my cutlass was fill the overflow up with straight anti-freeze. Run it for afew weeks, then test the anti-freeze. Good to -40F. Other than that, I changed the oil to 5w30 for the winter.
    Tim
    A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

1997 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 I6/Auto)
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (4.6/Auto) (The Tank)

Reminds me that I should probably switch back to 5w30 real soon since oil prices are rock bottom now. But it's only been 1500 miles or so since I got the oil changed (back in May).