Thread: Hi everyone!! have a rwd conv. project....

Default Hi everyone!! have a rwd conv. project....

Hi everyone i just joined A-Body.net as i have just acquired a sweet 87 Cutlass Ciera S 2dr. It was my grandmothers but now i have it and she has a Saturn ( i use to be a Saturn tech makes it easier ). Ever since hanging around a buddy of mine who had a sweet 93 lumina with a smc twin turbo and rwd conversion i really wanted to have a rare stange car too! So ive been dreaming of making the ciera rwd and dropping in a small block. Its def not the norm and would be really cool to see cruising down the street but the thing is is i dont really have too much info on the car and its capabilities. I know theres boundless v6 and 4 cyl fwd options but ive decided on making a real street strip car but mostly strip and am dedicated on a rwd setup. So basically what im asking is for ANY help i can get as far as info on where i can look for parts and stuff or anything at all that will help me get this project done!! i really appreciate all your time and good luck with all of your cars too!!! thanx!!

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

....................... that seems way to custom to build but start with a awd's rear axle
    Last edited by LordDurock; 10-09-2007 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock View Post
    ....................... that seems way to custom to build but start with a awd's rear axle
    why would u say too custom to build? im sure we all know anything can be done its a matter of funding and knowledge really and since this is a long term project the funding will be as it comes but i really need the knowledge of the cars to start with.

Vehicle
    1991 Ciera

That is an interesting project. I think if you can find a front subframe that will support a rwd engine, the rest should come together. Theres someone who made a RWD grand prix I read once. Are the citations RWD? Those cars have similarities with a bodies

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Maybe you could use a GTO rear axle...

Camaro subframe?
    Jay

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by sbcciera View Post
    why would u say too custom to build? im sure we all know anything can be done its a matter of funding and knowledge really and since this is a long term project the funding will be as it comes but i really need the knowledge of the cars to start with.
    well the thing that go me was how to get a trany set up for rwd and from what see that would take making a driveline and trany hump........

well what ever you do make sure that it get checked out the the dmv or else it wont be leagle to drive on the roads........so take lots of picts and wight lots of things

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Quote Originally Posted by notsoslimshady76 View Post
    Theres someone who made a RWD grand prix I read once.
    Here's the Cardomain site. Very well documented.
    Quote Originally Posted by notsoslimshady
    Are the citations RWD? Those cars have similarities with a bodies
    Citations are predecessors to A-bodies and share the same subframe and drivetrain setup, ie front wheel drive. B-bodies (Caprice), F-bodies (Camaro), G-bodies (Monte Carlo) and Corvettes were period RWD cars.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles. Current DD.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Basically, you would need to treat it like someone would that is building a first gen Nova into a tubbed pro-streeter. You wouldn't have to do the large rear tubbs though, you could use a mini-tub kit and run some nice sized street tires instead. A bolt-on front subframe kit for an early nova would be a good starting point, as the cars seem to be roughly the same dimensions. Everything else would need to be fabricated from scratch, or at the very least, a universal kit.

Vehicle
    1991 Ciera

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    Citations are predecessors to A-bodies and share the same subframe and drivetrain setup, ie front wheel drive. B-bodies (Caprice), F-bodies (Camaro), G-bodies (Monte Carlo) and Corvettes were period RWD cars.
    A-ha!

i wont have to worry about that im a licensed ny inspector and a tech for 5 years not lon genough to brag about but its safe to assume or say i know a thing or two plus a buddy of mine that got me interested in the rwd conv idea had a 93 lumina small bloc twin turbo rwd conv he told me it took 3 different chassis' to make the frame work!! so i know it will take a lot of work an dmoney but its my project car not a daily i got a vw for that and it seems top be indestructable so far!! lol i contacted Smith Preformance and they make the subframes for j body conversions and calias and other fwd cars too they told me their first conversion was in fact a 87 old cutlass ciera s just like mine and still have the jigs to fab up the necessary parts!! so im going to go for it! the eng and trans will be easy and the rear shouldnt give too much trouble but the firewall and driveshaft tunel migh give me the most trouble

Sounds like you have all the right connections