Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Site's Numerical IP Address

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

No problems here - I clicked on link in the e-mail notification; and the page loaded as usual.
    Thanks for the alert, though!
    Sincerely,
    David

In the next month or so, we'll be going to SSL, so I needed to move us to a dedicated account on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    we'll be going to SSL
    Interesting, another auto web site I visit has converted over to https. I understand the need for SSL for online transactions, but not on general talk/talk forums.

I realize Intel would have less background info available, but in my case, its not relevant.

Trivial, FWIW:

The UK now wields unprecedented surveillance powers — here’s what it means
    A NATION'S BROWSER HISTORY and a search engine to match

The UK government will keep a record of every website every citizen visits for up to a year, with this information also including the apps they use on their phone, and the metadata of their calls. This information is known as internet connection records, or ICRs, and won’t include the exact URL of each site someone visits, but the base domain. For this particular webpage, for example, the government would know you went to http://www.theverge.com , the time you visited, how long you stayed, your IP address, and some information about your computer — but no individual pages.

Each Internet Service Provider (ISP) and mobile carrier in the UK will have to store this data, which the government will pay them to do.
    Update November 29th: The story has been updated to note that the Bill has now received royal assent and is officially law

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

Wow at the UK news article. I have known for a long time that the UK is possibly the worst surveillance state in the free world..... but this really takes the cake for going overboard.

Google is actually forcing my hand, and I suspect the same is true with most other forums sooner or later. Google penalizes sites that store user information outside of SSL (in our case, passwords, email addresses, etc) with lower search rankings. And now the newest version of Chrome will apparently offer an obnoxious warning when visiting "nonsecure" sites that collect passwords. VBulletin, of course, encrypts passwords but that isn't "secure" according to Google.
    - Joe

Google is actually forcing my hand.
    I suspect you have seen this: Security Starts Here

I suspect this prevents man-in-the-middle attacks if SSL's preconditions are not broken. Also noted there, "The point of CAs is to defeat a man-in-the-middle attack."

I suspect the same is true with most other forums sooner or later.
    Have you heard of the CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business

This other forum has commercial vendors there, who post...but I'm not sure if this is related to https.

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post
    I suspect you have seen this: Security Starts Here

I suspect this prevents man-in-the-middle attacks if SSL's preconditions are not broken. Also noted there, "The point of CAs is to defeat a man-in-the-middle attack."
    Yes, SSL is intended to protect data while in transit.

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post
    Have you heard of the CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business

This other forum has commercial vendors there, who post...but I'm not sure if this is related to https.
    I am familiar with CAN-SPAM (yes, you CAN SPAM, thanks to Congress). It doesn't involve SSL.
    - Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12