Thread: Cooling at idle with large engine and A/C...

Default Cooling at idle with large engine and A/C...

Fan problem resolved!

The large Seimens fan and dual core radiator cools it very adequately.

There was not much room to install that big fan and the shroud had to be modified to clear some A/C lines. Thankfully it is made of a "weldable" thermoplastic material.

The fan has the high and low speed relays mounted on the fan with only power and ground wires going to the car. The original harness going to the fender-mounted fan relays was re-routed and connected to the new relays at the bottom of the shroud.

With the hood open I can stand by the drivers door and my shirt will move from the breeze off that fan!

Later,
    David

Look me up on Facebook

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

i think you can still get 3 core bronze diesel rads. or i may just be way off.......as i think mine is a 3 core

either way that quite the cooling system

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Fan problem resolved!
    NOW you are cool!
    Old like good wine...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuddi View Post
    NOW you are cool!
    Thanks! I try but sometimes I loose my cool!

That radiator is indeed the factory GM radiator from the 85 diesel coupe. I ordered a NEW diesel radiator, but the vendor sent an incorrect part. The engine oil cooler ports were 5/16" IF. They are supposed to be -8 Saginaw o-ring fittings! They are arguing about that I am supposed to reduce my engine oil cooler down to 5/16. No way will that work. The -8 fitting is almost 1/2 inch. The engine oil circuit does not need to reduce down at all - let alone to 5/16"

So to keep from being "down" (since I am still trying to get on the dyno this week) I pulled the rad from the diesel coupe.

I REALLY HATE to pull parts from a running car because it is double the work and there is the chance other parts get damaged in the process. But at this time there was not much alternative.

Later,
    David