Thread: Fiberglass

Question Fiberglass

I am looking at making a fiberglass hood for my 1990 Buick Century. I am looking to do this to reduce the over all weight of the vehicle. Is this a good idea or bad

Vehicle
    91' Olds Ciera SL

extremely good idea... the only problem is how much work and money will it take.. IDK of anywhere that offers aftermarked hoods for abody's/// If u are fiberglass worker then it prob wont be that hard,, but i hav no idea where you wuld begin with something like that.... If you do end up trying it,, please x)take pics and post ur progress because i would looove to do the same thing to my 91' ciera because our hoods do wight quite a bit and would really lighten up the whole fron end... anyways good luck, and happy modding!

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

actually i have a better and simpler idea..fabricate the hood from a single piece of sheet aluminum, with bends, and put 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch aluminum tubing frame to support the hinges and hood latches. much lighter than fiberglass IMO and better for the size of the hood

Vehicle
    91' Olds Ciera SL

yes tru.. but same problem ... Unless you have extremely good sheet metal skills , how are you going to be sure its an exact fit with all the creases and bends ... Im a decent fab and repair guy and have prety good metal working skills... there is nooo way i would try to attempt to make a hood. believe me i have dreamt about it ... That doesnt mean one of you guys cant do it,, so if u can go for it.. rok on!!!!

Exclamation Thank you

Thanks for all the feed back I will deffinatly post pics when I do make this mod of all the steps. I was also thinking if this goes well of making many more coppies and selling them so people who dont want to/ dont feel they have the skils to do this can have a hood