Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L67 U-van Swap

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

I think I just found a donor. I wanted to ask again, what axles to use? This is a 1994 PA Ultra engine and trans gfoing in a 1995 Silhouette.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

I think you should be able to use your stock axles. Don't quote me on that though.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles. Current DD.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Vehicle
    91Bonneville LE, 91 Bonneville SSE, 95 Bonneville SE, 95 Pontiac Transport

You should be able to use the stock axles... I used the 3.33 Diff and retained my stock axles with no issues... I have ordered and replaced the axles on mine with the parts for the 3.06 3800 van...

So it should work for you with the stock axles..

Don - do you know if the 4T65E (not the HD version) and the 440T4 final drive carriers are interchangable?

Thanks,
    David

Vehicle
    91Bonneville LE, 91 Bonneville SSE, 95 Bonneville SE, 95 Pontiac Transport

David I am not 100% certain... On some of the older 4T60-E's they used the newer parts... I believe that I could use a 65-E diff in it with no issues... The next time I rebuild a 4T60-E I am going to find out for certain... I have several 4T60E diffs and have a 3.29 and 3.05 65E diffs...

The 440 is really really close to the 60E and a lot of parts can cross between them..

Please forgive as its been a long while... But you are talking about the ring gear of sorts correct? If you are there is one problem, and the problem is that GM changed the pitch several times and at one point had changed the direction of the pitch... So the 60E can have the same parts as the 440 and or be different depending on year..

Again I am not sure if they are interchangeable, but I suspect that they may very well be...

I have a 96 Trans here, its a 4T60E HD... It has the 3.29 diff... We found it funny that it was identical in every way to the 65E 3.29... Every number on both diffs were the same... The diff covers were the same... The gears were the same... So it is possible that that could work for you David.. You might be the first person to tell us for sure..

how's this project going?I don't see any recent posts from screech

Vehicle
    1989 W45 Ciera Int'l Coupe

Ya, been crazy busy lately, sorry. I've been driving the van as my daily since January, and I've only had a few problems to work out. The wires for the VATS ign cylinder breaking in the column (cause I just ground out the column and still didn't have the proper amount of room for the wires running down the cylinder bore, gotta change the column's upper bowl for one that is proper for VATS. The underhood temps were higher than expected as the van's smaller engine bay and cowl-over-engine design seemed to plague the ignition module with malfunction. I've changed from a 195 thermostat to a 180 unit and haven't had any further issues in this regard thus far. Lastly the lower rad hose seems to be far too close to the AC pulley and has contacted it. That could have been due to a failed strut mount, but I've changed the van's original strut mount for a '96 Ciera's firmer mount. I will keep an eye on it.

When I get more time I'll post some of the tons of pics and details I've collected during the journey.
    http://www.screech.ws/
    01 Chev 2500HD (4x4), Vortec 8100, 496ci BBC, 3.73 gears, CCSB
    98 Chev K2500 (4x4), Vortec 350, 4.10 gearing, ECLB 155.5" WB
    98 Chev C2500 (2wd), Vortec 350 w/SFI kit, 3.73 gears, ECLB 155.5" WB
    89 Olds Cutlass Ciera W45 Int'l Coupe
    76 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham BBC
    95 Pontiac Trans Sport SE (US Model), 3800HO
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport GT
    92 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, S1 3800SC L67 - R.I.P. 2010-09-09

Quote Originally Posted by SCREECH View Post
    .....The underhood temps were higher than expected as the van's smaller engine bay and cowl-over-engine design seemed to plague the ignition module with malfunction.....
    BEEN THERE! I can attest to the effects of heat on the ignition module. I fought a stalling and backfiring issue with my 3.8SFI Turbo that was heat related. I had installed a brand-new ignition module because that part was missing when I got the engine. When I was in moderate stop/go traffic the car would stall and usually re-start. It would backfire LOUD sometimes when it was trying to stall, or when trying to crank up. Never would do it consistently enough to troubleshoot it without guessing.

To make a long story short, it was a chinese-made module which was not built to the same standards as the original. The module would fail intermittently when hot. The part was sold as a "Standard Motor Products" module. The packaging did not show country of origin but the module had a china sticker. I had asked for the "best module you got" from this store.

After replacing all the sensors, and swapping out an ECM, chip program, coil pack, and going over the wiring - I swapped in another used module. The problem went away. Got another of the chinese ones from a different store, and the problem came back next time we had a hot spell. Liked to have got run over that time because it died in traffic.

Finally I found Advance Auto sells a "Borg Warner BWD" module that is NOT chinese (was actually made in USA) and that has withstood 100°F and hotter weather, with turbo system, without ANY hiccups. And the engine has more power. I didn't realize it was breaking up under boost at high RPM with the old one!

Anyway my point to YOU is - someone could have previously put in a chinese one. Since you bought that engine with an unknown history, I would highly recommend you buy an American-built module for preventative (and safety) reasons.

Later,
    David

Vehicle

David, you're right that when I bought the engine I didn't know the history behind the ignition module, whether it was ever swapped out or not. However, I DID get a second module from the guy I bought the Park Avenue from, new in the box...a Standard Motor Products red box. I tried that one and had issues within days of installing it. I didn't look for a China sticker, but I will next time I'm out in the garage after reading your previous post. I currently am running with either the module that was in my van on the NA 3800 or the module that was on the SC 3800 when I got it...can't remember now. Regardless, not one of the modules I have went problem-free for long. But since swapping to the 180 thermostat (which the parts guy recommended against because he told me the computer would be in "choke mode" all the time, sucking way more gas - not true), I haven't had a single issue, and I've been in stop and go traffic in quite hot weather. I was going to take the van on the 1500 mile trip to Virginia I just got back on, which would have been a GREAT test, but there were other things that I didn't get done on it in time, so we took my wife's Ciera. Regardless, there's still a couple months of summer-like weather left, so I'll see how it does.

I'm still toying with the idea of putting an active exhaust system in the engine bay using a decommissioned rad fan mounted above the engine (there's a LOT of room between the engine and the cowl on this van) to blow UPWARDS into a manifold with pipes/tubes exiting behind the front wheels to exhaust the engine bay. No time for that now, though. If it ever happens, you'll hear about it here first!

Awesome idea to have the exhaust fan in the engine bay! Thankfully mine has been great since the new module was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by SCREECH View Post
    ....the 180 thermostat (which the parts guy recommended against because he told me the computer would be in "choke mode" all the time, sucking way more gas.....
    AMAZING this person is in the parts business. I would think a touch more education would be mandatory before selling parts. Lol!!!

David
    Last edited by turbokinetic; 08-01-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Vehicle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12