Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 93 Ciera Project

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

Default My 93 Ciera Project

Alright, well i will start out by saying hello to everyone here... The purpose of this thread is to share my project with other abody enthusiasts. This is my second A-body. The first being a 91 Ciera that I sprayed the piss out of, and sadly ended up being hit and the car was totaled.

The car is a 1993 Cutlass Ciera S. It has a 3.3L V-6 with an Automatic trans. White with white trim and red interior. The future plan for this car is to finish up the collection of parts ive been working on for a simple turbo setup. Seeing as money is scarce lately and the garage has housed my parents car. I havent gotten to work on it a whole lot.

So far ive just done some simple modifications to tide me over untill I get an extra motor to start building.
    This motor has about 259k and im using it as my daily driver so nothing to crazy. I started out by pulling the top end and replacing all gaskets from the heads up. I was very shocked at how clean the inside of the motor was and that there was very minimal wear in the cylinder walls. While apart I installed a comp cams camshaft and changed the cam bearings and seals. After putting the motor back together I then put in some 24lb injectors and a walbro fuel pump. I then modified the stock air box for better flow into the motor, and have cut the exhaust off from behind the cat untill I decide what exhaust im going to do... I have tried a flowmaster and dynomax bullet, but was not happy with them. Any ideas?

Im very pleased with the car as it is now, but am still set on my turbo setup... I plan on doing most of the work myself with the help of friends...

Also im looking at suspension mods, but havent really found a whole lot... Dont really know what all interchanges with what, so any info would be awesome.

Well thanks for looking, and I will be posting updates whenever I get more done.
    93 Cutlass Ciera S-3.3l, open exhaust, modified air box, cam, more to come...

Cut the exhaust off ? You know how fast exhaust leaks rust out cars ? I get a headack just imagining how that thing sounds, mine has seperated under there and anything sounds better than that. I ran a fairly cheap dynomax for 3 years till it rusted out, last one I bought was just a generic stock replacement that has some rumble to it. Loose alot of power quick without a full exhaust.

Theres plenty of artical on suspension upgrades do a search.
    75 Delta 88 Royale conv (120,000), 86 2dr. LeSabre Limited (140,000), 90 Ciera Cruiser SL (247,000), 90 Regency FE3 suspension added (375,000 !!!), 97 Oldsmobile LSS L67 (130,000)

Vehicle
    1986 Celeb Wagon 2.5

So how the hell are you running on bigger injectors without a chip tune. Its going to run AWFUL and pig rich as its gonna still think you have little 17lb injectors or what ever stockers are. Suspension mods, Find a F41/FE3 Car and grab the front swaybar, thats a biggest upgrade. My 6000 i had to do headgaskets on and it has 220k on it at the time and it was surprisingly clean inside and has no wear on the cylinder walls. Amazing how well GM built many of its V6 engines
    "Pontiac, Of Course"
    1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1T
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
    1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon
    1991 Audi 200 Auto
    1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Vehicle
    74 Formula 400, 85 Z28, 88 Ciera Int. Cpe, 99 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 06 G6 GTP Convertible

Sounds like a cool build. I see you mentioned you were waiting on another motor to build. I have an 88 3.8 with approx 5000 miles on a complete .030 over rebuild everything new.
    A few details:
    Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons, Sealed Power plasma moly file fit rings, Clevite .010/.010 main/rod and cam bearings, new cam (stock) and roller lifters, felpro gaskets, mellings oil pump, cloyes timing chain.
    Obviously I would include the ECM and everything else you would need for the 3.3 to 3.8 conversion.
    If interested make me an offer.
    Much easier to turbo/supercharge a 3.8 since factory parts are available.

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

Quote Originally Posted by razoredge View Post
    Cut the exhaust off ? You know how fast exhaust leaks rust out cars ? I get a headack just imagining how that thing sounds, mine has seperated under there and anything sounds better than that. I ran a fairly cheap dynomax for 3 years till it rusted out, last one I bought was just a generic stock replacement that has some rumble to it. Loose alot of power quick without a full exhaust..
    It isnt too terrible, in fact im pretty much used to it. If i get annoyed with it, I just turn the stereo up a few notches. The reason i cut it off is that the muffler was rusting out real bad and the cat was all stopped up. Ive cut it off at the pass. doors and gutted the cat. My plan is to when i get some extra money that i can spend im gonna buy a dynomax bullet to replace the cat with, or maybe a high flow cat, and im gonna throw one of the old gt mufflers ive got on there...

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

Quote Originally Posted by Prospeeder View Post
    So how the hell are you running on bigger injectors without a chip tune. Its going to run AWFUL and pig rich as its gonna still think you have little 17lb injectors or what ever stockers are. Suspension mods, Find a F41/FE3 Car and grab the front swaybar, thats a biggest upgrade. My 6000 i had to do headgaskets on and it has 220k on it at the time and it was surprisingly clean inside and has no wear on the cylinder walls. Amazing how well GM built many of its V6 engines
    Im currently just running 19lb injectors, because in fact the 24lbs were making the car run very rich at w.o.t. As for the tune it has a little bit of timing pulled to compensate for the rich conditions. Ive got a guy around here who is a gm tuning genius, and he is who i will be using to get it tuned. This is probably gonna sound stupid but what are some examples of f41/fe3 cars? Yah, i was very suprised how clean that motor was on the inside, it was almost as it was new, which im not to sure its not been rebuilt at one time or another. I do know that the motor had been pulled apart before I got it. I hate silicone! People dont understand silicone is best used in moderation... NOT AS A GASKET OR SEAL!!! Lol.

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

Quote Originally Posted by scolex View Post
    Sounds like a cool build. I see you mentioned you were waiting on another motor to build. I have an 88 3.8 with approx 5000 miles on a complete .030 over rebuild everything new.
    A few details:
    Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons, Sealed Power plasma moly file fit rings, Clevite .010/.010 main/rod and cam bearings, new cam (stock) and roller lifters, felpro gaskets, mellings oil pump, cloyes timing chain.
    Obviously I would include the ECM and everything else you would need for the 3.3 to 3.8 conversion.
    If interested make me an offer.
    Much easier to turbo/supercharge a 3.8 since factory parts are available.
    That sounds like a wonderfully built 3.8 youve got there. But I do not like to buy others peoples built motors. Not that i dont trust you or anything, but i like either doing the work myself or being there while its being done. As for the ease to install turbo due to factory availability, it will not be a big problem for me not having factory turbo parts, as i have already had my fair share of experience with building/fabricating turbo systems. I built and did my own turbo setup on my 92 celica by myself with the supervision of an experienced buddy of mine. Granted it was not easy, but I ended up with a pretty good finished product in my opinion.

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

If anyone has seen those little ebay tuning chips that are like 20$, they are actually not bad. I purchased one just for the hell of it, and was impressed with the little thing.
    If your looking for a little bit better throttle response and mpg, and woul like a few extra ponies for your a-body... This would be a good buy for you. The instructions were a little weak, but the telephone helpline helped me out...

Vehicle
    1986 Celeb Wagon 2.5

Cutlass Ciera GT, Celebrity Eurosport. Possibly Century GS or TTpye, youd really just have to look at the RPO codes on the spare tire cover to make sure
    "Pontiac, Of Course"
    1991 Audi 200 Auto
    1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

Sweet. Well i appreciate the info, does it make a pretty big difference?

Vehicle
    91' Olds Ciera SL

I am interested,,, where did you get your cam from???? i would like to put one in my 3.3 but i have never seen any offered.. Mine is alredy pushing close to 220 without a different cam so i would be very interested in gettiing one;;

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

Call any of your major companies, ie comp cams, crower, lunati, ect... And tell them what you have and what you need. I had mine custom ground from comp cams. They are who i will go to for my turbo cam for the new motor i build.

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

Heres a link to an exhaust clip right after cam broken in

Heres a vid of the ciera cruising up to 45... For those who wanna hear what your car will sound like with open exhaust.

Vehicle
    1986 Celeb Wagon 2.5

And yes the swaybar is a HUGE upgrade from the skinny grandma bar
    "Pontiac, Of Course"
    1991 Audi 200 Auto
    1980 VW Dasher Diesel

Vehicle
    1993 Cutlass Ciera S

Very nice. Yah, ill have to go out to the salvage yard and see what i cant find... I usually come out on top at the salvage yard here. One:because i know the owners son and grandson. Two:most dont see parts for these cars to hold very much value

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast