Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Introduce yourself thread! (56k warning!)

Vehicle
    1986 Celebrity CL

Ive actually been doing research on swapping it with an l67 3.8 sc

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

It can be done.. One of our banned for life members put a Cadi engine in one, a L67 in another, and more engines than you can shack a stick at. Its just a matter of wiring, and programming the PCM for security (where applicable), and other odds and ends.

A 2.8/3.1 MPFI is a pretty direct swap, if you grab the entire wiring harness from the front of the dash forward, including bulk heads, engine and tranny. Then you use the computer from the donor, and it becomes virtually plug and play (as long as its OBD1). So its just a matter of finding a 90-91 A-Body for a 3.1, or a 87-90 2.8 Abody. There is a catch about the transmission thou. If you grab the engine, wiring harness, and transmission, you are almost guaranteed sucess. If you dont grab the tranny, it will work, but your speedo has a 33% chance of not being correct. It would depend on the final drive ratios. You can check them on the spare tire cover, if it survived.

86 models also had a 2.8 MPFI engine, but its quite the nightmare to work on, and a completely different engine.

If the donor has a 3100/3400 engine, its not plug and play.

Once you move over to OBD2, things get much more complicated. It can still be done...
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1986 Celebrity CL

As it would be my first engine swap maybe I should look into swapping it out with one of those other celeb engines. I really just want to have a car that operates as it should, and do 70 on the interstate. :P

From there I can justify doing mods to make the car my own, and maybe swap it with a 3800 in the future!

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

You could still do a 3.8 or a gen1 3800 (non SC). They came in the Celebritys kissing cousin, the olds Cutlass Ciera, and the Buick Century. Again, just grab everything from the dashboard foward for wiring, engine, tranny, and your set. You could even do it a wee bit simpler, and drop the engine cradle out of the donor, and out of the Celeb, and swap it as an entire unit. It would just need to be from a 92 and earlier model I believe.

Problem is finding a donor. Not many A-Bodies left on the road.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Well, I think you can always find a donor

Perhaps it will be more difficult to do it abroad.

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152