Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself thread! (56k warning!)

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Hi Dan, welcome! Hope you were able to get your brake line changed out easily! I'm fortunate to live in the South where we don't have rust. But I know the pain having worked on several cars from the rust belt that managed to crawl down here to (attempt to) die!
    Hello Turbo, and thanks for the welcome. I'm slowly stripping the lines out, keeping track of where they're supposed to go....I'm not the first person under there! I don't think there is a greater inner turmoil than a fellow who loves working on cars and living in the rust belt.....it's a real love/hate relationship!

Vehicle
    1984 chevrolet cavalier

Hey Hey! A couple of months ago, I picked up a 1984 Chevrolet Cavalier convertible. Right now its just shy of 42k miles. Absolute lucky find.

Vehicle
    1989 Buick Century

Quote Originally Posted by csanders View Post
    Hey Hey! A couple of months ago, I picked up a 1984 Chevrolet Cavalier convertible. Right now its just shy of 42k miles. Absolute lucky find.

I THINK it's still under warranty with that many miles Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by csanders View Post
    Nice, those are rare and attractive cars! What engine / trans does it have?

Look me up on Facebook

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Miss my '84 Skyhawk Wagon. Those 1st gen square J-body cars were very nice. Mine had the Pontiac 1.8 OHC w/ the Turbo 125C. Almost perfect....just missing the clutch pedal. That car still moved, and could turn in 35 mpg on the highway with it's TBI.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Hello. My name is Troy. I am an engineer and like others in this thread, I also play bass.

I just picked up this 89 Cruiser last week. Needs head gasket (good excuse for 3.1 swap) but shockingly completely rust free on the unibody, even the trailing arm mounts. Just surface rust on the cradle. Interior is like new too. Plan to do the engine, add full gauges, and early Silhouette steering wheel and crosslace alloys. And probably other things.

I'm no stranger to a-bodies. I started with a 90 6000 SE wagon in 1996. Lost a trailing arm bracket in 2005, 255k, welded it. Then built a little snowplow for it and ran it up and down the driveway for 7 more years and still always ran fine.

Had a beater 86 Celebrity wagon for awhile.

Had an 89 6000 wagon from 2005 till a few years ago. Welded the trailing arm brackets on that, put a lot of miles on it before the whole car was starting to come apart from rust.

Have also had 2 U-vans. And several significant others who have had a-bodies I've worked on.

Still have an 89 Celebrity 4 door for summer, bought in 2003. Just rolled 300k this spring on a 3.1 I swapped in 2004. Welded the trailing arm brackets on that a few years ago. I've done this so much it's down to a science and I've got the burn temps saved at work.

Nearly all my a-bodies I've converted to rear disc, first one back in 1999. I've done various other things like a factory looking oil pressure gauge and custom tach on the Celebrity, both still work. Also did some crazy mods about 10 years ago to get me 40 mpg on the Celebrity, all temporary and have been removed.

I've been on other forums over the years. Never had anything but dialup internet except at work. Have had a very hard life and don't really even have a home right now, but there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel less than a year from now. So hopefully that's not why my normal email is banned.

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    89 Cruiser last week
    Nice Troy...really nice....

I've got a 1989 2.8 engine with some 300,000 plus miles. But, when I got it, at some 150k miles, I replaced radiator, rods/mains, and oil pump on engine. I can only wonder if a defective radiator took out head gasket, or fan relay, etc., was not working. I've got another 2.8 sitting, but in Kansas.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Welcome aboard Troy really nice wagon

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

Hi Troy. Love that wagon.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Nice straight wagon!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Thanks all. Just ordered a used full cluster for it, a requirement in my book.

Hopefully I get my house back before winter and I can work on it then. Otherwise next year. Till then it stays under a cover surrounded by pine trees in the yard.

Might also consider steering wheel controls. I've put the Gen 1 and 2 Pontiac controls in 2 A-bodies and a U-van.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    Thanks all. Just ordered a used full cluster for it, a requirement in my book.

Hopefully I get my house back before winter and I can work on it then. Otherwise next year. Till then it stays under a cover surrounded by pine trees in the yard.

Might also consider steering wheel controls. I've put the Gen 1 and 2 Pontiac controls in 2 A-bodies and a U-van.
    THAT would be interesting. Of course 6000 parts are very rare these days.

Ken T.

my name is connor im 23 i live in kansas city mo i have a 1996 cutlass ciera wagon 3.1 w/power options.

side note i am desperately looking for an 86 cutlass ciera wagon i will trade my 96 for it

I inherited a 96 Cutlass Ciera, with 72K miles on it, I'm repairing the A/C and was wondering if someone could tell me where the orifice tube screen is located on this car? I have removed the compressor and the dryer to replace them, but it is not clear where to find the orifice tube. Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by DKregel View Post
    I inherited a 96 Cutlass Ciera, with 72K miles on it, I'm repairing the A/C and was wondering if someone could tell me where the orifice tube screen is located on this car? I have removed the compressor and the dryer to replace them, but it is not clear where to find the orifice tube. Thanks for your help
    I believe it is located at the condenser outlet fitting. It will be inside the line which connects to the lower fitting on the condenser. As sitting in the drivers' seat, it'll be on the left side of the condenser.

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast