Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself thread! (56k warning!)

Vehicle
    1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Quote Originally Posted by oldslover View Post

(my parents prefer me driving a newer car with less mileage to school 2 1/2 hours away).
    I drove my 87 Cutlass Ciera back and forth to University (3 hours) for 4 months, every second weekend I would come home with me and a car load of people and luggage. I've got a 2.5L 3spd. You can tell your parents that and maybe they'll allow you to have your Olds at Uni! Now don't tell them that I blew the motor coming home for study break before Christmas
    What are you taking at University? I'm also 19 and I'm going into my second year of University at Mount Allison University in Sackville, New Brunswick. I'm taking a Bachelor of Music, Majoring in Piano. And after my 4 years are up there, I plan on going for my B.Ed and then teaching in the highschool system.
    CRC

Donovan, welcome to the group! My cars are 86 and 72 models, and my mom and dad don't worry a bit about me! :-)
    There's a lot of collective knowlege here, I have learned alot from these folks on A-Body specific stuff, and tried to share some of my engine and transmission expertise to return the favor.
    Later,
    David

Look me up on Facebook

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

welcome donovan. i here you on the fading as stuff (my century sat for 12 years........and fired right up with new batterys.......) we will keep you and good informed hands around here. just David (turbokinetic) said

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Welcome Donovan.

This is indeed a good place for getting information for the A-bodies, and you should be glad to have found it.

On your comments on your sister.... I can't but say that I do not approve of those who willingly assist warcrimes.

According to Nuremberg (the warcrime tribunals after world war two), it was declared UNIVERSALLY ILLEGAL to wage war on peace....

Anyone who does so, is a war criminal. Your sister "serves" in Iraq.... a country that was invaded by the USA, attacked ILLEGALLY.

Sad. Really sad that there are still people that are willing to support and lend their names to warcrimes.

For your sister's sake I hope she doesn't hurt anyone before she gets back home.

In any case, you know my position on the subject, and history will prove me to be on the right side of the coin.
    Old like good wine...

Vehicle

danm pasfest have killed more people then us agtressrs ......................jsut felt like saything that a being true and stupid. read me sig

most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S

Tuddi -

Believe me, my sister is NOT willingly assisting in any of Bush's BS. She enlisted in the National Guard in the spring of 2001 after she graduated from high school, as many do, so she could afford to pay for her college education. As this was pre-9/11, no one could have possibly imagined any of the horrific mess that we are now in.

We hoped, and actually were optimistic, that she would be done with her stint in the Guard before she ended up deployed. Her 6 years of service were up last July, but of course, the Bushies couldn't let a warm body out of the system...so she was activated last March. An unexplained seizure in August wasn't even enough to keep her stateside, even though the doctor said it was most likely due to "heat and stress" (which of course there aren't any of in the Iraqi deserts).

Don't worry - not one person in my family supports any of the garbage that has occurred in the last 7 1/2 years in this country. As a former political science major and very much an actively informed citizen on the topic, I understand and share your views. But the National Guard was never intended for military deployment. She signed up seeing money for school and help for those in need (i.e. natural disasters and the like), NOT any sort of war.

So now you know my position on the subject.

And in response to all, thanks for the welcome...I look forward very much to the insight and conversation that I expect will arise from this group.

Oh...and 87Cutlass Ciera, I (as I already mentioned) tried political science for the year, but decided that as much as I like participating in politics and discussing it, I just don't care for studying it. Boredom got the best of me. So, a month or two ago, I decided that I will be reverting back to what I planned on studying originally, before I got to college: music. I'm now a vocal music education major, and I am, as well, planning on teaching at the high school level. We'll see if I make it out in just three more years...

And my dad agreed that if I drive the car for the summer to work without problems (duh...the thing never has trouble), I can take it back to Morris with me in the fall.

Vehicle

By the way, 87...where is Sackville? I was in NB just last March...in Saint John and Moncton. Our UMM concert choir tour led us there and various other Canadian points of interest from the US east coast. Just a perhaps mildly interesting tidbit...

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tuddi View Post
    Welcome Donovan.

This is indeed a good place for getting information for the A-bodies, and you should be glad to have found it.

On your comments on your sister.... I can't but say that I do not approve of those who willingly assist warcrimes.

According to Nuremberg (the warcrime tribunals after world war two), it was declared UNIVERSALLY ILLEGAL to wage war on peace....

Anyone who does so, is a war criminal. Your sister "serves" in Iraq.... a country that was invaded by the USA, attacked ILLEGALLY.

Sad. Really sad that there are still people that are willing to support and lend their names to warcrimes.

For your sister's sake I hope she doesn't hurt anyone before she gets back home.

In any case, you know my position on the subject, and history will prove me to be on the right side of the coin.
    tuddi i just wanted to say my pervios comment in better way

War is needed at time. If you disagree the blood of million of Jews, Iraqis and Africans might as well be on you hands. Just think when Hitler was slaughtering the Jews and Europe before the year before Americas citizens were force to wake up. How many life’s could have been saved buy going to war and losing some troops. Just think of all the Iraqis found in mass graves killed by an evil dictator for not having the religious views he had it it not right that at any cost this man should be found and tried for his action. it you say no then we as humans have not right to try an noughter muder becuase we are unwilling to life by are standers at all time. And think of all the people killed in Rwanda Africa because no one wanted to save thousands of lives when muders were running though te streets hacking people with machetes. why because they were no of the same eithic backround. All that was need was a few well trained soldiers and most likely the death toll would have been in the few 100's. If you thing war is usless think again in the right times war saves life’s. It may not save every one but it sure cuts the loss. But if peaceful measure work and you don’t take them you are just as bad and any Hitler.

00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    cartruckcartruckcarcarcarcarcarcar

I will stay out of the political discussions regarding the war & ETC, but I would like to clear up one little piece of info that is commonly (and mistakenly) believed. The National Guard has ALWAYS been intended for regular deployment. Throughout much of our history the USA was prevalently isolationist and maintained a very small standing army.Standing armies have always been seen as a bad thing in the USA up until WWII and the advent of the cold war. The Guard was seen as a quick backup for our regular army until larger numbers of regulars could be trained. The National Guard made up a very significant part of our overseas deployed troops during both WWI & WWII. I think it was a smaller percentage in Korea & Vietnam, but they were there though.....
    So Many A's I have a 5.0 GPA!!
    • 1988 Century Limited
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport CL coupe (parts car)
    • 1985 Celebrity sedan
    • 1982 Celebrity CL coupe

Non contributing members: 15 Verano, 06 Silverado, 90 Lumina, 89 S-10, 88 Golf Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock View Post
    tuddi i just wanted to say my pervios comment in better way

war saves life’s
    This is not the place to discuss these issues, and clearly you are not a person I can ever reach an agreement with on the subject of human behaviour.

I am sure you think those words are fine and dandy when spoken by Americans, but ... what if those were the very words of the people behind 911 ? Would you agree with them in that situation?

Probably not.

oldslover

Thank you for your reply. It makes me better understand the situation your sister is in... and it's good to know that you and your family don't support the fascists who rule the US. Better times have been known, and hopfeully good times will come again for everyone.

I am very much anti-war... since nothing good ever comes out of wars. If I would be ordered to serve and kill other people, so that my president could make WMD jokes at press conferences, I would rather go to jail, or simply leave the country. I do have a hard time understanding why everyone doesn't just sit down and refuse to be used as hired killers.... and that is reflected in my words of course.

Sorry if you took my words as a personal attack... which it wasn't meant to be at all. I value truth and honesty, so I just wanted to make my position clear.

Anyways... let's rather speak about cars ... it's safer ... normally.
    Old like good wine...

Vehicle

That it is.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tuddi View Post
    This is not the place to discuss these issues, and clearly you are not a person I can ever reach an agreement with on the subject of human behaviour.

I am sure you think those words are fine and dandy when spoken by Americans, but ... what if those were the very words of the people behind 911 ? Would you agree with them in that situation?

Probably not.

oldslover

Thank you for your reply. It makes me better understand the situation your sister is in... and it's good to know that you and your family don't support the fascists who rule the US. Better times have been known, and hopfeully good times will come again for everyone.

I am very much anti-war... since nothing good ever comes out of wars. If I would be ordered to serve and kill other people, so that my president could make WMD jokes at press conferences, I would rather go to jail, or simply leave the country. I do have a hard time understanding why everyone doesn't just sit down and refuse to be used as hired killers.... and that is reflected in my words of course.

Sorry if you took my words as a personal attack... which it wasn't meant to be at all. I value truth and honesty, so I just wanted to make my position clear.

Anyways... let's rather speak about cars ... it's safer ... normally.
    yes i would agree with any one who attacks people who slaughter incoinet people. i had the power i whould have wiped out stalin as well. just i know i want peace as much as any one but i know that therre are people who dont want peace and the only way to slove the porblem is to go down to there level. just know that okay. take hitler yes europe operssed him and his country. that was tarbably wrong. and he had ever right be angry. he had every right to start making guns and free his people. but he had no right to go and start killing thousand of people.

now tuddi that are things i call small wars the small wars are little things that happen beween 2 or move people. aka that fight you got in when people tryed to take you cammra. now let me ask you did you need to fight to get the best out come. to protect your self ect. yes you did. and i agree with you. see war/fight/ violint dissgreement happen when on side refused to act in a peacefull mannor. so war is need to for lack of a better work resoulve confeclts.
    Last edited by LordDurock; 06-01-2008 at 06:22 PM.

00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Politics and religion are an un-winnable argument from any side. Lets leave this thread for NEW MEMBERS to post their story and pictures. This has degenerated to where new folks will be scared off from posting. Please.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Politics and religion are an un-winnable argument from any side.
    Darn.... I hadn't even got to the religion stuff
    Old like good wine...

Vehicle

sorry for digging deep in the core of humans to fight or not fight that is the qeustion. it not poiltics its not relgion it human narture.

00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast