Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Project Danielle - 1984 Cutlass Ciera Diesel - Engine repairs and restoration...

Gm does the same thing on there ls motors each individual lifter is $47 and a set of 16 is $144. But even the parts man at the gm counter doesn't know that they make a set of 16 because it is not in any parts book.

Got a small update today! I have not got the engine tapping sound 100% completely fixed but I did take time to re-seal the air conditioner compressor. Here is a video of this job. I will also post a separate thread in the mechanical maintenance area for it.

If the nozzle on the injector is bad the whole injector must be replaced. They are non rebuildable injectors. Gm put a stiff warning about dissembling the injector on the oldsmobile diesel because if you take the injector apart and put back together and not change anything it will change the pop pressure even though no parts has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    ...engine tapping sound...
    Sidebar Comments:

1. Cetane number - " In 1994, the United States required a cetane level of 38. This went up to 40 in 2000, and the cetane for ULSD is currently supposed to fall between 47 and 48. However, most engine manufacturers would like to see a minimum of 50."

2. Poppet Injectors...have an opening pressure of about 1225 psi. (1980-83) and 1000 psi. (1984-85).

OK folks - finally got a small update on Diesel Danielle. Life, work, and other things have got in the way and I have not been able to make much progress on this car until new.

One problem was a misplaced piece of hardware used for making adjustments to the transmission ECU. I finally recovered this and have almost finished with the transmission calibration. The 4T65E seems well suited to the 4.3 diesel. Will have some road test videos as this process nears completion.

In the meantime, here's a video about one of the things that makes these projects take so much time....

A new set of Kumho tires had been delivered from Tire Rack. I took the wheels down to a local place and had them mounted and balanced. That makes the car look a LOT better - not to mention ride better!

To complete the ride improvement, a set of front struts and rear shocks completed the suspension restore.

The old shocks were SHOT. May have been original from 1984!

The front struts were in as bad or worse shape. It's amazing the car handled as well as it did.

Looks better with that in place...

Also; got the air intake snorkel tube completed and in place. There had been a plastic resonator box, however it interferes with the larger 4T65E transmission. I made a straight pipe that takes the place of that. The original snorkel and connection tube work.

That's it for today! May have more updates tomorrow, if I'm able to get time to work on it some more.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I Have a question David ,all your cars I have seen have the strut top plastic dust covers where do you find them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    I Have a question David ,all your cars I have seen have the strut top plastic dust covers where do you find them ?
    Hi Keith... yep I scour the junkyards for them and always get them when I find them. They came on the 86-88 cars, but I believe only on the high end ones, such as the Brougham or Limited cars. Same for the evaporator / blower motor cover. It hides all the wiring and relays at the top of the A/C box and really cleans up that area.

The strut top covers are important for the strut mounting bearings since they keep water from falling in them from the top when you wash the engine bay. I try to not wet that area on cars that don't have those.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Well if you happened see a extra set let me know I would cover shipping and your time David . I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Well if you happened see a extra set let me know I would cover shipping and your time David . I appreciate it
    Will keep my eyes open for them!

Vehicle
    1990 Cutlass Ciera SL (Sold)

Any updates on all your projects? Been a long time since I've been on here.
    Sold June 2015
    1990 Olds Ciera SL 3.3L 440T4 JA2 (FE3 upgrade underway.)
    -96 Trans Sport swaybar
    -98 Malibu 15" wheels (205 60 15 tires)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 2.0L
    2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66 5.3L
    2007 Mazda6 Sport 3.0L

USAF (Retired) 1986-2007

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    Any updates on all your projects? Been a long time since I've been on here.

Hi Bill. Danielle is running, but still has some loose ends to tie up. Life has been busy for me and I don't really do much with the cars any more.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314