Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wants a set of (brand new) Eibach lowering springs???

Cmon guys, we need to drum up more support for this! Tell everyone you know about it!
    Current:
    1989 Chevy Celebrity
    2006 Subaru Impreza (Daily)

Previous:
    2006 Subaru Impreza (Sold)
    2000 Honda Civic (Scrap)
    2006 Ford Ranger (Sold)
    2000 Subaru Forester (Sold)
    1994 Toyota Camry (Scrap)

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

I gotta wonder if we even have 50 active posters on this board who still own one of these cars...

Don't think so, but we have to try! Just just of how awesome our cars look lowered; makes me excited just thinking about it!
    Current:
    1989 Chevy Celebrity

Previous:
    2000 Honda Civic (Scrap)
    2006 Ford Ranger (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    I gotta wonder if we even have 50 active posters on this board who still own one of these cars...
    Ya... The Yahoo X11 group ain't much better. There's alot of talk about what has been done in the past, and a lot of join, post stuff for sale, never hear from again over there.

I'm still interested if this gets off the ground. I could even swing two sets if it meant the difference between getting and not.

I don't know how many A bodies are left on this earth, but finding 50 of them that are A) salvageable B) owned by someone using them for anything other than basic transportation needs might be tough. There could well be only 50 X bodies left period! Crazy considering that even 10 years ago you could count 50 of them in a mall parking lot on a slow day.

Are J body parts enough different that the springs won't work? Z24's are still plentiful in the salvage yards.

Vehicle
    1990 6000 SSEi

How many are you at so far?

A saddeningly low amount...
    I believe we're at 5-6 sets so far.
    Current:
    1989 Chevy Celebrity

Previous:
    2000 Honda Civic (Scrap)
    2006 Ford Ranger (Sold)

Ouch. I guess I'm in no hurry, maybe a few more takers will turn up given enough time.

Vehicle
    1985 Chevrolet Celebrity Sedan (2.8 2-bbl. V6, THM-125, JA2)

Ya... PGuru is on the money; we've got about 5-6 "sure thing!" folks on A-body.net. Some want two sets each, so we'll say a total of 10 sets here on A-body.net at the moment. Chevy Citations Forever has some interest as well (I've posted over there about the possiblity) and there are about 3-4 folks who would be interested, so we're still a long ways away from 50 sets of springs.

Another option that was mentioned on Chevy Citations Forever by member Aaron Russell was a company in Portland, Oregon called "Quickor" which was the only other company to my knowledge that made lowering springs for the A/X body back in the '80s and '90s. I just talked with owner Glenn at Quickor, and he was friendly, but like Eibach, mentioned that to economically produce the springs, he would also require about 50 sets of springs (he might have said "100 springs total" which would be 25 sets; I'll clarify that, because 25 sets of four springs would be exponentially more doable!). He has the tooling and engineering plans from the original Quickor lowering springs, which he created and did the R&D for, which he said lowered the car about 1.5" all around with a stiffer rate, and said it's a possibility to manufacture these springs on a one-by-one basis, but at somewhere between $500-$1000 for a set of four, due to setup costs, which is reasonable logic, as setting up a spring machine with the proper material to make one set of springs would be extremely time consuming, therefor, expensive.

The Quickor springs are appealing to me as a starter at the moment, because we can actually get ahold of a brand new set of springs to test and try, even though it would be expensive, whereas with the Eibachs, it's all or nothing. Not that there's anything wrong with "all or nothing" but getting to the $10k mark to get the Eibachs produced is going to be a challenge, not for lack of enthusiasm though.

Let me know what you guys think about all of this... If there's one thing us A/X/U body enthusiasts are very skilled at, it's coming up with affordable, unconventional solutions to availability and performance problems... we'll get 'er done!
    1985 Chevy Celebrity Sedan (2.8-X, THM125, JA2, F41)
    1954 Chevy 3100 Pickup (235 I-6, SM420)
    1994 Toyota Camry LE Coupe (2.2, A140)

Vehicle
    '87 Buick Century T-Type

Funny... A Riviera guy came to the Caddy forum to get intrest in reproducing Seville/Eldorado sets they told him 20 in total.

Looking around a bit I see this: 3804.140 for 82-91 A-body cars, and 3834.140 for 92-96 A-body cars.

So is the split at '91 or '93? Obviously the main difference is the rear springs. I thought I saw in another thread a way to run the older springs in the newer cars, but I cannot find it.

If Eibach made the springs previously they should be able to tell you what the specs are (rate, amount of drop). If someone can get some dimensions from a set of stock springs we can calculate what the stockers are.

The big thing with lowering springs is having shocks/struts that can dampen them. Nothing worse than good lowering springs with shocks that can't keep up with them.

Sorry about this, I guess I never update the first post of this thread. This is for the 3804.140 Pro Kit Lowering Springs, so 82-91.
    Current:
    1989 Chevy Celebrity

Previous:
    2000 Honda Civic (Scrap)
    2006 Ford Ranger (Sold)

Understand, I was just posting some other info I had found since earlier in the thread it mentioned '82-'93.

It may be worth while to try contacting other custom spring manufacturers out there to see what it would take for them to do a custom order. There are companies around that do this.

Has anyone ever ridden in a car that has the Eibach's and if so how was the ride and performance? If we could get some information on how the Eibach's were made (if they are worth it) it wouldn't be difficult to have them reproduced by someone else.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

From my research, the front springs are the same across all years of A cars, and probably X cars as well. The vans are heavier and taller, so they have a longer, stiffer spring in front. The rears for A cars have a break-point year when the perch/mount was redesigned. I theorize that, since the spring perch is welded to the rear axle, one could simply swap the axle from an old car onto their newer one. I may be wrong though.

I actually found a picture that someone posted online years ago of a set of 3834 springs and the front springs were still stamped 3804 so yes the fronts are undoubtedly the same. I also saw the same thought about swapping the rear axle to make the springs work for your car.

I'm wondering if anybody has any real world experience with the Eibach springs and how they handled and rode.

It would also be good to get some stock spring specs for a baseline for comparison.

I've got 2" lowering springs in my Saturn wagon and while the ride is pretty decent, it is blatantly obvious that the shocks are overmatched by the springs. Unfortunately there are little to no choices for improved shocks for that platform. Just hate to see this pursued for these cars and get less than impressive results because none of the shocks available are up to the task.

Vehicle
    1985 Chevrolet Celebrity Sedan (2.8 2-bbl. V6, THM-125, JA2)

Hey Guys, great ideas, input and conversation!

Kevin Varnes brings up an interesting point in saying
    "The big thing with lowering springs is having shocks/struts that can dampen them. Nothing worse than good lowering springs with shocks that can't keep up with them."
    I would have to agree with this due to years of fiddling with stock-style FWD/AWD car suspensions. Throwing a set of higher-rate, lowering springs on stock, well-used struts/shocks would probably not be the best choice, nor would using a lightly dampened new strut/shock. Just to clarify Kevin, on your Saturn Wagon, did you replace the shocks/struts with new ones when you added lowering springs? To bring up another point though, these springs were most likely designed with stock (or stock like) struts in mind, as even when our cars were new, you couldn't really get any serious performance minded shocks or struts (I believe). Even the Bilsteins, which are higher-end, are stock style with medium-firm dampening qualities, similar in what many members mention in their KYB GR-2 replacement struts. Just food for thought; I could be completely off-base on this.

Electra_T_Type mentioned:
    Funny... A Riviera guy came to the Caddy forum to get intrest in reproducing Seville/Eldorado sets they told him 20 in total.
    Hmm... that's good to know; how many months/years ago was this mentioned? If we could get Eibach down to 20 sets, even if there was a price increase, I think that would be doable with our current interest, whatcha all think?

Duke George V mentioned:
    From my research, the front springs are the same across all years of A cars, and probably X cars as well. The vans are heavier and taller, so they have a longer, stiffer spring in front. The rears for A cars have a break-point year when the perch/mount was redesigned. I theorize that, since the spring perch is welded to the rear axle, one could simply swap the axle from an old car onto their newer one. I may be wrong though.
    Also, good to know about the possiblity of swapping an older axle into a newer car for compatibility. A pain in the butt to swap axles, for sure, but doable. It would be great to be able to have both sets of lowering springs available, but probably not practical at this point in time due to low demand. The '82-'91 springs would definetly fit the widest variety of A/X body cars.

As we've mentioned before, it would be great to have some input and a real world review from someone who's actually installed and used some Eibach of Quickor springs. We're shooting in the dark until we know...
    1985 Chevy Celebrity Sedan (2.8-X, THM125, JA2, F41)
    1954 Chevy 3100 Pickup (235 I-6, SM420)
    1994 Toyota Camry LE Coupe (2.2, A140)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast