Thread: Hilarity will ensue - Wolo Animal House in my '96 Ciera!

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Default Hilarity will ensue - Wolo Animal House in my '96 Ciera!

Another electronics install for those interested!

First, here's a bit of backstory...

Many years ago, when I was in my teens, I picked up one of these from a local store for next to nothing, due to a severely damaged box and I believe missing brackets:

The Wolo "Animal House" electronic horn.

Unfortunately, I never got around to installing it. Installation inexperience combined with a general lack of motivation were the primary causes. Cars came and went, while the box gathered dust. Eventually, I mostly forgot about it, though I'd see it in the garage from time to time and laugh at the thought of installing it.

A week or two after I got the Ciera, I remembered the animal sound horn and decided it would be perfect for the A-Body. I searched my parents garage for a while, but came up empty. Turns out that they threw it away between our last move and when I moved out of the house. Unwilling to let that stop me, I decided to buy a new one.

And on that note, a box came in the mail a few days ago:

(Damaged too, thanks Amazon/USPS. Also, I apologize for the cell phone pics, my digital has gone missing.)

And within it, was this glorious marvel of modern technology:

The construction is pretty simple, just a box with three knobs, a 3 position switch, an LED, and a standard microphone jack. On the back there are power, ground, and signal wires. Along with the brackets and screws, it comes with a speaker and a microphone.

I hooked it up to a 7.2v RC car battery I had laying around to try it out. The sound was weak, but still hilarious. Most of the "sirens" are more like car alarm sounds, and not nearly as loud as a real police or fire siren, (even at 12v) but they aren't the primary feature. The "PA system" doesn't seem to work at all, though the included microphone feels like junk and could be the cause. The final bonus feature, the music, is wildly entertaining, and basically makes your car sound like an ice cream truck, which is great for when you pull up to your friends house. Beats honking the horn!

The animal sounds are of course the best part. Like the rest of the sounds, you select them with the rotary switch, turn it on with the volume knob, and the noises repeat until you shut it off. My favorites are the rooster and bull.

Onto the installation!

The first step was to find a place to mount the speaker. It looked like there would be enough room behind the grille, and as it turned out there was plenty. The grille is held on by torx screws, T-15 I believe.

With the grille removed I made some rough measurements and figured I could hang the bracket from the underside of this area, so I removed the base and used it as a template to drill through. I had trouble with the front hole, drilling at an angle tends to break bits and that's exactly what happened. Made a nice scratch in the paint too, but it was under the hood.

The fit was almost perfect. I would have preferred more of a downward angle, but the top of the radiator was in the way and forced the speaker into a level position, so only about half was visible:

I routed the speaker wire up under the hood, and what should be immediately obvious is they don't give you a whole lot of wire:

Not a big deal, I have plenty of wire from other projects laying around. With the speaker finished, I moved into the interior. The final shot, with the grille replaced:

I'd decided in advance to mount the box to the underside of the ashtray. Not only was it the best location, but it allowed me to easily tap into the cigarette lighter wires.

Everything taped up and ready:

I both love and hate these things. These wire taps, sometimes called vampire taps, can be really useful but also a nuisance. If installed right, they work pretty well, you just have to be careful that the metal clip bites into the wire properly.

Here they are tapped into the lighter wires. (I'll be wrapping them in tape soon.)

And that's pretty much it. I remounted the ashtray and put everything back together:

The only issue I ran into was the lack of included speaker wire. I mean you get about 15 inches each on the speaker and the control box, and 2.5 feet is hardly enough. I've only had it installed for a day, but so far it is pretty entertaining. I'm not making constant noise though, like many things this is something best enjoyed in moderation.
    Oldsmobile Quality. Feel It.

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Figured I'd post a little update. This thing is beyond funny! Last week I went to a cookout at a friends house, and when I pulled up I was cycling through the sounds. The kids went nuts of course, and when my friends decided to have another get together the first thing the kids wanted to know was if "the red car with the animal noises" was going to be there.

Michigan recently passed a smoking ban on bars, so now all the smokers have to congregate outside for their fix. So outside of every bar there's always a crowd of smokers standing around, and drunk people are always a fun target for animal noises.

Also, there's another vehicle in my apartment complex that has one of these. Mine is spliced into the lighter wires, so it runs with the ignition off, and when I heard it I thought someone had broken into my car and was messing around. Turns out it's some lady in a full size van. Good to know I'm not the only person who appreciates funny stuff like this.

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

sounds like the making of a video

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

VIDEO !!!!! Please!!!!!

Vehicle
    1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

haha... I'll see what I can come up with. I might just take a video of the sounds, but if I have a passenger I can try to get some reactions. I played the ice cream music while passing some guy on a bike real slow, and got the most confused look ever.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath View Post
    haha... I'll see what I can come up with. I might just take a video of the sounds, but if I have a passenger I can try to get some reactions. I played the ice cream music while passing some guy on a bike real slow, and got the most confused look ever.
    yes reactions!!!!! please!!!!!

most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

Vehicle
    1989 Olds Cutlass Ciera International

I just wear a gray wig with shake a cane out the window when I drive my Ciera.
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International --> L67 - M90 + 60-1 =

Yes it's an Oldsmobile and yes it makes over 450 HP!!

Quote Originally Posted by skalor View Post
    I just wear a gray wig with shake a cane out the window when I drive my Ciera........
    ........with a 450 HP engine......

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

I think I mentioned this a long time ago, but when my brother was with his now ex girlfriend we found this site: http://www.wasteoftechnology.com/?cat=20 (posting the link in case anyone wanted to save the origonal file to use it. I put the actual picture of the sign below though)
    We printed out the Walken is Watching You sign and taped one to each window of her Cavi.... and yes.... hilarity did ensue. We've also put them in bathroom stalls, although it's much funnier when you can See people's reactions.

I'd also like to see reactions to the horns.

Vehicle
    my 2 feet

LOL. you know there is a papercraft design of 'Ceiling Cat is watching you masturbate" meme?
    "All art is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."
    -N.S.K. Neuer Slowenian Kunst
    proud former owner of 83 Ciera Brougham Coupe (may her new owners repair her and get her on the road as she deserves to be!)
    Pics of MAxine here! 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham Coupe

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S, 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Haven't seen that one lol I'll have to look that up! I just think Christopher Walken is awesome... and I have no idea why either lol.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    LOL. you know there is a papercraft design of 'Ceiling Cat is watching you masturbate" meme?
    what ware.....it was fun to plaster the halls with ceiling cat

00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI